FourSevens        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Default Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Still EDCing my Alox Electrician, and a Alox classic on my keys.
    I would like to get hold of an Alox Electrician Plus, basically the same thing, but with a saw.
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

Unenlightened

My most common around town EDC SAK is my Alox Cadet. Nice size and weight for pocket carry.

For camping and hiking it's usually either my One Hand Trekker or Outback (both lock blade SAKs).

I've got at least a half dozen other SAKs, including a SwissChamp, but those three definitely get the most pocket time.

Going to start EDC'ing this one I just got today. That's in addition to my SF.Delta.FCUK.

For size comparison purposes.

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm
    Last edited by CLHC; 11-23-2015 at 12:29 AM.
    LUX'Ottica

My most commonly carried SAKs are 1) Executive, 2) Compact, 3) Work Champ, 4) CyberTool 41.

Either my Exec or my Compact is in my pocket at all times, and I carry my Work Champ on the strap of my EDC bag. I usually belt carry my CT41 while puttering around the house and doing chores and the like.
    What? Me? Derail a thread?

I love their alox line. Most of the time I carry a pioneer, a farmer or a cadet.

Enlightened

Have tried most of them and come to the reality none have worked for me. I need real tools to do a good job the others are toys and time wasters. Not strong enough for an old man of 71.
    "The Flogging Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!"

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TadpolePilot View Post
    I need real tools to do a good job the others are toys and time wasters.
    I'd hardly call a SAK a toy or a time waster. If they don't work for you then that is fair enough, but you shouldn't insult what is a valuable tool for many others.

My Cybertool 34 has been carried daily for around 12 years now, it is a work tool and a time saver. I used to carry a computer repair tool kit but for 12 years I've just been carrying a SAK & a multitool on my belt - having the right tool for the job on my belt has saved me a lot of time & hassle. I have dismantled & repaired a LOT of computers with nothing but my Victorinox Cybertool and it still works as well as when it was brand new. My SwissTool X is a very good pair of pliers and also a bunch of very useful tools that do their job as well as I need them to.
    When a courier delivers a package I can reach down to the pouch on my belt, extract my SAK, open the small blade & use that to open the package - this saves time compared to looking for and getting a knife or pair of scissors. Having the SAK on me is useful & a time saver.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Have tried most of them and come to the reality none have worked for me. I need real tools to do a good job the others are toys and time wasters. Not strong enough for an old man of 71.
    I find my Victorinox Compact to be an excellent tool that allows me to carry more useful items in a small package. I used to carry two pens. Now I use the pen insert in my Compact as my back-up pen. If I wanted to, it could easily function as my only pen. Far more thin and compact than any keychain pen out there. (Though if you're the type of person who often uses a pen while away from home, you're going to want to carry a dedicated pen.) The scissors do an excellent job of cutting apart anything one would expect from a decent pair of small shears. The knife blade is long enough to do plenty of light-duty and even medium-duty cutting chores. The combination bottle/can-opener feature works great as a bottle-opener. Bit less so as a can-opener. Still gets the job done though. Tweezers and toothpick work well too. Especially on a date for plucking long nose hairs and making sure nothing is stuck in your teeth. Corkscrew works nicely when the waiter forgets to bring one to the table, then seemingly disappears while looking for one. I don't wear glasses. But the tiny eyeglass screwdriver would come in useful for someone who does. I'll admit the thick hook is the least pragmatic tool included.

Overall: A useful set of tools in a very small package.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 12-25-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Here's the Ranger I got. I gave my wife the Spartan Lite which she carries in her purse.

I agree that SAKs don't typically replace larger tools or knives in general. They're just versatile (well, some of them are more specialized) and very handy to have on you in a pinch.
    Last edited by Wrend; 07-03-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Now that I've got a nice classic SAK that I'm content with, I'm thinking about taking a slightly different route with my next one and picking up the new Swiss Soldier Knife (similar to the Trekker) as more of a tactical/outdoors knife and less of a general use utility knife.

Tinker or Alox Cadet.
    "Push back the night" - Bob Weir

Unenlightened

My EDC is the Victorinox German Army Knife, which is basically the same as the Soldier with different grip handles showing the German Eagle logo.

Alox Cadet for me.

Buttrock Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

After much research and trying to figure out which model would best suit my needs that had the tools I would need the most or want to have I ordered the SAK Hiker a couple of days ago.

Mostly an Alox Pioneer

An all Ti superTinker.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

I mainly carry the Vic Trailmaster because it has a large blade and exactly the tools i need.
    Since the corkscrew is of no use for me i really like the phillips screwdriver instead.

Sometimes i EDC the smaller Vic Officier.

Since last posting to this thread I have lost my Wenger fisherman's style knife. It was replaced last year with a Victorinox Fisherman that is clipped on the outside of the Swiss Gear backpack I use as a tackle box. The hook remover/fish scaler is pricelss for removing hooks when I am targeting panfish such as bluegill, crappie and perch. It can go into places too small for pliers when a fish swallows a hook deep. The scaler side of the tool actually does a good job, even on salmon.

I want to buy the Vic Angler, but I would rather have a phillips in place of the corkscrew that this model has.

I REALLY wish Victorinox would make an Alox with scissors. That would easily make my edc rotation when I am going light carry and leaving my Wave at home. I have a Squirt Ps4 on one of my keychains so the need is usually covered but being able to pick up an Alox Vic with scissors without having to go custom would be nice
    "None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

I have a Victorinox Finlandia prime on my carkeys and a Swisstool (Finnish army tool model) on my belt

Flashaholic

Wink2 Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

I'm 70 and the Alox electrician is my carry and is a real tool for old guys

Mini-champ on key ring,Tinker,or a Cadet in pocket.

Victorinox One-Hand Trekker (basically the Soldier knife with toothpick and tweezers). If I need pliers, I'll also take a Leatherman Core. If I want scissors as well, I take the Leatherman Blast instead of the Core. Leathermans are nice, but the newer ones are all made in China. China stinks at making stainless steel because all my Chinese made knives (good or unknown brand) have all shown signs of rust after a short period of time. My Swiss Army knives don't show any signs of rust for at least 10 years.

When I step off of the pavement and into the woods, I replace the tacticool folder in my pocket with a Victorinox 1H Trekker.

I was blown away after ordering my first one and realizing, when I opened the package, that it LOCKS OPEN. I went 15 years without a SAK because I didn't feel safe with a non locking blade.

I now have 3 of the 1H Trekkers, for $30 they're cheap enough to have one in every backpack that I use.

i bet no one could ID this victorinox

What, no corkscrew?

That is pretty sweet.

By the way, I did pick up the Swiss Soldier Knife which I keep in my jacket's cell phone pocket most often these days.

Kind of funny since you posted that picture: The Ranger fits perfectly in the belt holder that came with my 4Sevens AA light.

SAK in a holster. Too nerdy, or just nerdy enough?
    Last edited by Wrend; 04-15-2013 at 10:16 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Victorinox One-Hand Trekker (basically the Soldier knife with toothpick and tweezers). If I need pliers, I'll also take a Leatherman Core. If I want scissors as well, I take the Leatherman Blast instead of the Core. Leathermans are nice, but the newer ones are all made in China. China stinks at making stainless steel because all my Chinese made knives (good or unknown brand) have all shown signs of rust after a short period of time. My Swiss Army knives don't show any signs of rust for at least 10 years.
    Since when is ANY genuine Leatherman product made in China?

I brought a Buck SAK many years ago for work, it was made by Wenger. Never really used it much for work but it was always a travel companion on trips where it was very useful, especially the bottle opener. The only issue I ever had was when someone would use it to open a bottle and twist the knife instead of lifting it straight up, causing the opener to become tough to open once closed.

Smile Re: Which swiss army knife do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post

i bet no one could ID this victorinox
    You're so right! I've been going crazy looking for it. Which one is it or is it home modified? I registered on the forum just to find out. Looks like a trailmaster/trekker with a scissor or an outrider but one handed (which does not exist as far as I know) and with screwdriver instead of corkscrew.

I want one

Quote Originally Posted by Walerian View Post
    You're so right! I've been going crazy looking for it. Which one is it or is it home modified? I registered on the forum just to find out. Looks like a trailmaster/trekker with a scissor or an outrider but one handed (which does not exist as far as I know) and with screwdriver instead of corkscrew.

I want one
    http://i42.tinypic.com/5dt6s9.jpg

you really did your research you're correct this is one-hand trekker with the scissors & small philips layer from the outrider. it really baffles me why victorinox doesn't sell this very versatile combination of tools.

oh and welcome to CPF

Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm
    Last edited by Norm; 06-16-2013 at 01:18 PM.

I don't carry it, but I was recently given a SAK Mechanic by my father-in-law (actuallly my wife was going throught some things at their house and came across it. He didn't use or want it, so my wife got it for me.) It's my first SAK and I really like it, but I have too much stuff already in the bottom of my pocket and am too used to my knife being clipped in my pocket.

I plan to include this in a BOB once I get around to putting one together. It does go into my ad-hoc BOB if bad weather comes around in case i forget to grab my Leatherman Wave if im in a hurry. It prompted me to research the origins of Victorinox...very interesting beginings.
    You Can't Fix STUPID!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast