I knew I couldn't be the only one, Man I love this place!!!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew I couldn\'t be the only one, Man I love this place!!!

New member, first post here -

Man I love this place! I've been a flashaholic since I was just a little kid, for about 30 years, and for all that time I just figured I had a strange interest in flashlights that no one else really shared or understood. And now I find this place, and I see there are dozens of guys just like me! (and some of you are even worse off, congratulations) I feel like I can finally come out of the closet, LOL.

I've spent the past few days reading tons and tons of previous posts, and I still have so many questions, I can't wait to get active on the forum. Well, while the candlePowerForums are of great interest to me, my wife still doesn't seem to understand. Hey if she doesn't want to sit in the dark staring at beams of light shinning against a wall for hours trying to decide which one is brighter, her loss!

Anyway, I hope to get a digital camera in the near future, so I can post pictures of my collection. Without having counted, I figure It's quietly grown to more than 60 lights now.

So that's it for now, I just wanted to send out an informal hello to everyone. I look forward to learning and sharing a lot of information in the near future.

-- Tim (KartRacer31)

nihraguk

Enlightened
Re: I knew I couldn\'t be the only one, Man I love this place!!!

welcome!
there're idiots here from all over the world, including myself
wink.gif

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by KartRacer31:
New member, first post here -
Well, while the candlePowerForums are of great interest to me, my wife still doesn't seem to understand. Hey if she doesn't want to sit in the dark staring at beams of light shinning against a wall for hours trying to decide which one is brighter, her loss!

Anyway, I hope to get a digital camera in the near future, so I can post pictures of my collection. Without having counted, I figure It's quietly grown to more than 60 lights now.

-- Tim (KartRacer31)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Welcome, the first thing you need to understand is that she never will understand it. I can't even get my wife to put an Arc AAA on her keychain.

Now for the digital camera go out and purchase one as a present for your wife. She will love it and you get to take beam shots.
grin.gif

Banshee

Enlightened

CPF Newbie here too...Ive only been around for a few weeks...and check out MY signature...

Be careful..
if wife.com does not share the same understanding of flashlights as we do...you and the dog will be sharing those lights..outside in the doghouse!

PS get in the ARC owners club will ya GEEZ.
You been here for a day allready with NO purchases !!
smile.gif

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Guys - Thanks for the welcomes!

JT - Good suggestion on the digital camera, I'll let you know if it works, Christmas is coming!

Banshee - I don't think the dogs will understand either! LOL - What's the ARC owners club?

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sunspot - I've read about the ARC lites, but was asking about the ARC owners club.

Rothrandir - I'd say I have at least 60 lights, however very few are on the hi-end side. Unfortunately I don't own a Surefire, or an ARC! (I know that's like a sin). I have quite a few lanterns (6v with a handle and table top type) as they serve me well when camping. I hope to get a digital camera soon and take some photos of everything. But here is a quick rundown of a few in no particular order (and forgive me if I don't have all the actual names): several Mag lights in various sizes; several double barrel lights also in various sizes; the following Eveready lights: halogen H250; Super Halogen H350; sport light with attached bags; pull apart lights 4aa and 6v; several auto-emergency lights with fluorescent tube/spot/blinking lights; sport light; various industrial lights; the one with the thumb wheel to rotate the head; and a bunch more Evereadys(the Eveready lights are hard to name because they aren't like the Surefires that have specific names that everyone knows, and they've made like a billion types of Eveready lights over the years. When I get the picts up you will recognize them); a few dive lights by Pelican; Garrity 4aa steel light, and other Garrity lights; various lights from R/S, Lumilite, GE, and Rayovac; a few sealed beam lights; the Prodigy 4aa light; Eveready Arc white; a few older lights from the 50's and 60's; Vector 6v 2mil and 12v 1mil spotlights, Dorcy 4aa led (my only led light); Brinkman LX, and several others. Like I said nothing in the really high end like the Surefires, but some decent lights.

I actually started collecting when I was just a kid. I would get a few for Christmas or for my birthday. Over the past few years I hadn't really done much with growing the collection, (maybe one or two new lights a year) but lately I've been really into it again. I bought 11 lights in the last two months. Again I'm not buying $200 Surefires so it's reasonable.

I think my next purchase may be a Surge, but the SL6 is supposed to be similar and good too. Have to do some more research. I'm not really into the LED lights yet, maybe someday, to me they just don't offer enough illumination yet. (True the benefit is the run time and cost of opperation with an LED, but I want bright!)

I was into overdriving bulbs for a while, which for me was a trial and error thing (read into that as I wasted a lot of good bulbs). I'd like to get into some real mods soon. I'm not that technical, but I really want to try. I'm thinking of doing something with one of my Mags or maybe a double barrel. I've seen some interesting mods on the forums. Right now I'm overdriving my 6aa db bulb in my 8aa db and it is pretty decent. I have no idea how long it wil last like that.

I'd like to get a Surefire M6, but the $300+ price is hard to swallow. And I know me I'd be using the high output assembly and getting only 20 minutes out of $20 worth of batts. I haven't brought myself to buy that yet. I recently got a 12v Vector spotlight for my super bright fixes. I replaced the 75 w bulb with a H3100w. For $18 this is a deal if you are looking for a bright light. Granted it's not as compact as a M6, but it's bright and cheap and cost effective to run. (before I get flamed, I'm not saying a Vector VEC137CO spotlight is better than a Surefire M6).

Anyway enough rambling from me -

SFR

Newly Enlightened

By purchasing and owning an Arc, you induct yourself into the Arc owners club.
smile.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well the wife should be happy. Better you spend that money on lights and staying at home. Lots of worse things you could be doing is the way I see it.

BTW, as I read in another post, this group has really been an influence on my spending habits. If ya told me I'd be spending the kind of money I am now for lights
I'd a had you committed. And coincidentaly, just made another purchase today. My criteria is performance and savings. Try looking at the FS/FT section once you are more knowledgeable of lights. I've gotten some decent bargains from there. There are some infinity Ultras at discount right now, and some SF's. Go with the E1's if you don't want to spend alot. part of the fun in all this is the amazment you'll find in small packages that can put out some lumens!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might be surprised at how bright an array of 7-10 white LEDS or a single 1 watt Luxeon Star LED can be.

Welcome!

I don't have an Arc AAA, but I do have 2 Arc LSes. Fair tradeoff I guess. I don't care for AAA lights.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Aaaaah another New Jerseyan to walk into the light!
smile.gif

You won't find a better place for info than here. Enjoy

Saaby

Flashaholic

Get the AAA...love the AAA...BE the AAA...

Hold on to your billfold!!!!! Because, you see...it all starts with the AAA.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened

thanks kartRacer31 (Tim) ...your post made me finaaly admit (i.e., post), to the forum...

i too am a .....flashaholic! HELLO- first post!

there...i said it...----i have only been lurking here a couple of weeks and have enjoyed reading thru all posts....but have not had an intelligent question to ask ..

Tims' post snapped me out of the lurking ....for yrs i bought ( and enjoyed ) lights but never looked into quality flashlight/torches… ....after accidentally passing by crag's led museum a month or so ago and finding out about this place...(well, below are most of my recent purchases)...with 2 ls seconds arriving tomorrow. (i hope the signature works)

my wife's (bless her) most recent statement : " dear, is that Another flashlight…" ( ..i buy a $10 light she buys a $100 bra- fair exchange )..

i do have a question ...exactly what is the difference between a kl1 and a kl3 led...i know I'll end up buying both but since I is here I just had to ask.!!

Hello ..goodday ... I too look forward to learning and sharing….regards (& again, thanks Tim!!) .....

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome, I hope you will enjoy this forum as much as I did.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

ROBSTARR-LITE - hey glad I could help! Just beware, this place takes the obsession to another level. I cant believe how much time I've spent here in the past week! Tonight I just bought 3 bulbs for $20.00. I'm sick, I need help, and I love it!!! --

TOB9595 - Fellow Jerseyan, thanks for checking in, I'm in Middletown, not that far from you, two hours at most. I was thinking it would be great to get a bunch of us together and checkout what we've got. I guess a flashlight show would be a great place to meet up, but if not maybe I'll host something in the spring for anyone who wants to come. Might be a good way to prove to the wife that I'm not the only one, LOL.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast

Originally posted by robstarr-lite:
....after accidentally passing by crag's led museum a month or so ago and finding out about this place...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yep, happened to me too...
icon15.gif
smile.gif

My allowance has been sucked in by the world of flashlights!
grin.gif

grift

Enlightened

lol this addiction is TRULY a very real addiction
shocked.gif

i read posts and made my decisions for a while before i ever posted as well. now im posting like crazy and even putting together group buys for batteries for all my fellow flashaholics who need to feed their power hungry 3v 123 lights. Battery group buy

i've even been selling off some of my pride and joy knifes to have more money for lights. too bad i dont have the expendable income i once had to do both
bluesigh.gif

anyways this place is truly great
grin.gif
and the people here can quickly help you buy yourself into eating noodles 7 days a week to have more flashlight money
tongue.gif

gotta go look at the B/S/T forum now to get dibs if any new flashlight is for sale
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast

[Q]I've spent the past few days reading tons and tons of previous posts[/Q]And you've not read about Arc? For shame. It is a very small light that uses an AAA battery with semi-regulation in it for even brightness over the life of the battery. Aircraft grade aluminium with a type III-HA anodize finish. Most of us have one or more.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

welcome to the board, i'm always glad to meet another weirdo such as myself!

but you can't be considered a true flashaholic until you have an arc aaa.

www.arcflashlight.com

-what lights do you own?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

>>robstarr-lite "( ..i buy a $10 light she buys a $100 bra- fair exchange )"

WHATTTT? I try not to meddle in my wife's underthings (well at least not the purchasing part)...you've opened my eyes, I'm now WIDE AWAKE! I had no idea that bras cost so much!!

Sure justifies some of my torch purchases!! Now I have to go inventory underthings to see how many torches it's going to take to "even things up"! The next time she complains about one of my torch purchases.....well...

Latest posts