What light next?????

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok after not being here much in the last three years or buying any non diving lights I am hooked again and been buying lots of lights.

Here is what I bought and my impressions.

Quark Mini 123, not impressed very loose threads and have to turn it very tight to get it to work, also it is a bit greenish. It also skips modes sometimes I guess what I would expect or $39 but not what I would expect for all it's good reviews.

MARATAC AAA Stainless Steel, This little light is awesome I was blown away it works great and has a great tint. The attachment point is a little week but I am not using it on keys. This is an awesome light for $28

Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi CA1, Again a very nice light that works and has great output, however has a very green tint which for the money really sucks.

UltraFire P60 SST-50 LED drop in, Nice light good output a little green around the edge's and very green on low I could also do without the strobe. But in all a good drop in with a lot of light.

Seraph P7 M Series Turbo Head, I have this on an M6 and while it does put out a lot of light it is not what I expected for "900 LED lumens". Also it shorts out as the springs are too long. They are sending me new springs so we will see how it work. Right now I am not impressed.

Jetbeam RRT-0, This is the best new light I have purchased! I love the brightness selection ring and output this light has. I do wish it had a 100 lumen setting. Some complain about the clip but I like it, there are times I wish it had a little more flood also. In all a great light!

Justin Case made me a drop in for my 3" SureFire Turbo Head.
It is a XP-G R5 driven at 1050ma 3.5V to 18V

This thing has a pencil thin smokin' bright beam but also has some nice spill. It can light up the trees behind my house at 300 yards without a problem. Also the build quality is very good.

I have a Nailbender SST-50 Warm tint 3 mode High, Med, Low on order and a SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode 900-Lumen Memory Textured Aluminum Drop-in Module from DX as it is only $18 shipped.

So the question is what else do I need based on what I have and like so far?

Thanks

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome back, old fart! :D :nana:

From my limited perspective, there are some interesting things to consider:

- SF LX2
- SF Saint / Minimus
- ICON MODUS
- McGizmo Haiku
- SF U2A
- SF E1B

bernie

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the question is what else do I need based on what I have and like so far?

Thanks

I second the SF E1B and LX2. Since you liked the JETBeam, maybe take a look at the RRT3? Or the new MarkII EagleTacs. Is there a specific niche you're looking to fill?

csa

Enlightened
Get the E1B. You'll love it, it's a fantastic little light.

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
How about a Bitz Titanium to replace the Mini 123?

Outstanding machining, great neutral beam and pretty well spaced levels.

Very nice little light.

Some good choices, the drop in from Justin Case sounds very interesting.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not something you need but maybe one of the new zebralights? Also, it may seem a bit budget compared to the lights you've just purchased, but I am really fond of of my neutral rc-c6 II with extension tube, it is a fun light.
Lastly, I think the CL1h V4 NOHS looks pretty neat, maybe you will too.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can see, the only niche you haven't filled is: a headlamp.

SF Saint is on my list

Welcome back, old fart! :D :nana:

From my limited perspective, there are some interesting things to consider:

- SF LX2
- SF Saint / Minimus On my list
- ICON MODUS I bought an Icon Rogue 1 when they first came out is this any better?
- McGizmo Haiku Will look into
- SF U2A Had one when it first came out does not look like it is any better???
- SF E1B Been looking at for a while it is on my short list

bernie

Is there a specific niche you're looking to fill?

Not really just have the urge to buy more lights :eek:

Very nice little light. Looks nice where can I get it?

Some good choices, the drop in from Justin Case sounds very interesting. I really like it a lot and was surprised at the amount of spill

It's not something you need but maybe one of the new zebralights? Have been looking at it might just pick one upAlso, it may seem a bit budget compared to the lights you've just purchased, but I am really fond of of my neutral rc-c6 II with extension tube, it is a fun light. Does seem really cheap scares me
Lastly, I think the CL1h V4 NOHS looks pretty neat, maybe you will too.Does look interesting does it have any spill?

Thanks for all the reply's now I have some more research to do.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The MODUS is all soft and flexible. And it is white. Uses an optic. Apart from that, same driver and battery combos.

SF U2A ... same light, updated emitter. Uses a Seoul P4 now as opposed to teh LuxV. A little bit more lumens, but doubles runtime. And a lower low.

SF LX2 ... think L1 with 2 cells on a real boatload of steroids. same interface, different league.

bernie

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you should be scared of cheap lights, I mean if it breaks it breaks. It is actually a very easy light to disassemble too so repairs shouldn't be too tricky. Romisen is also one of the best budget brands and if you get it from shiningbeam that will be an extra guarantee.
The NOHS has no spill, it is like a spot light, one big flat hotspot perfectly smooth. Or so I think, I don't own one, but I'm guessing it is a bit like the rc-c6 when defocused.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need something from Fenix.

TK40 is an impressive light as when you show it to all your unenlightened friends, who will be wildly impressed, can tell them it runs on just AA's and not a 'fancy' battery.

TK20 for sheer ruggedness and ease of use as well as the AA format plus the oh so cool tint. Which is actually quite warm.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need something from Fenix.

TK40 is an impressive light as when you show it to all your unenlightened friends, who will be wildly impressed, can tell them it runs on just AA's and not a 'fancy' battery.

TK20 for sheer ruggedness and ease of use as well as the AA format plus the oh so cool tint. Which is actually quite warm.

Has there quality gotten any better? I bought one about three years ago don't remember the model number it used 1xCR123 and was junk I gave it away.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like you need a Surefire maybe a E1B or E2DL/LX2. Another you may want to look at is Eagletac P20C2 MKII (textured reflector), very bright compact 300+ lumen light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the headlamp, there are many great selections out there but personally i like my Zebralight H501 - runs off any AA sized cell including 14500s and its lowest level is great for use in the dark while the max mode is sufficient to navigate a trail. I have not explored the H501W (warm tint) as i cannot justify another headlamp yet.

Apart from your MiNi 123, you might want to consider a AAA light for keychain carry, i own an E01 and an LD01 both from Fenix and like 'em both but if pressed to choose, i would take the E01 for its longer runtime and ample light when its really dark. You'd be surprised how little light is needed if your eyes are adjusted and its really dark out.

But there are a whole range of AAA lights out there now which though not as powerful as the Quark, are much slimmer and very light and with 10 hours off a single AAA for the E01 before it drops into moon mode, that would be a great standby light to have IMHO.

or you could go for specialty lights like a Lummi Raw NS which i carry once in a while just for some bling.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice little light.

Some good choices, the drop in from Justin Case sounds very interesting.

Just received my Bitz Titanium and it is an awesome little light thanks for the suggestion I love this light.

Latest posts