Quark Turbo AA2 Question Pre-Flash Problem

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I just got a new Quark AA2 Turbo XP-G R5 and when I turn it on I get a bright flash then it goes to the normal programed setting is this normal. I have it programed for the second level when the head is tight and full power when the head is turned a 1/4 turn. Of course I only notice this on the lower level of light but when I turn it on I get that split second burst and then normal I have heard this before but could not find the thread. Should I worry or is it all right.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Quark Turbo AA2 Question

It's called "pre-flash". It's normal, and there isn't really anything that can be done about it. Lot's of multi-mode lights experience this.

Per-Sev

Enlightened

It's called "pre-flash". It's normal, and there isn't really anything that can be done about it. Lot's of multi-mode lights experience this.
Thanks John, I won't worry about it then.

Per-Sev

Enlightened

I fixed the Pre-flash yesterday by changing the mode from low tight to low loose. When the head is tight its programed to the brighter mode when the head is loose I have it programed in the lower levels and I have not had pre-flash since I changed the programing. Right now I have it programed that when the head is loose its in level 2 and when the head is tight is in level 4. I have tried different programing and as long as the level is set lower when the head is loose I have had no pre flash.

brightasday

Newly Enlightened
I get the worst pre-flash when tight=turbo and loose=moonlight. With light in tight position, turn flashlight on and off. Switch to loose and then turn flashlight on.

The preflash is actually not very annoying for me, but I can see how it could be annoying in certain situations.

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I find that if you turn the head from a bright setting to a lower setting when the light is off then you turn it on you will get a flash I think because it has to change its level once its turned on so it thinks its in high still. If you don't turn the head when there is no power to it then you won't get pre flash at least that is how mine works since I change the programing I have not had a problem anymore.

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened

Did something about the pre flash on mine. Sold it to a friend. ;)

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something else you can do to manage pre-flash, if it actually bothers you of course. This can be done one handed too! Hold the bezel firmly against your stomach, your chest, your leg, your hand, a mattress on your bed or whatever and turn the light on. By the time you can count to 1, the pre-flash will be over with:thumbsup:

steven252000

Newly Enlightened
Here's something else you can do to manage pre-flash, if it actually bothers you of course. This can be done one handed too! Hold the bezel firmly against your stomach, your chest, your leg, your hand, a mattress on your bed or whatever and turn the light on. By the time you can count to 1, the pre-flash will be over with:thumbsup:

:lolsign:

Per-Sev

Enlightened
Wow, just count to one and its over I am sorry dude it happens sometimes so I've heard.:oops:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a AAx2 Tactical and it pre-flashs only the first time after you change from tight bezel to loose bezel, then it's fine.

Same here and I would think I had a faulty light if it pre-flashed after the expected(initial) pre-flash.

Hey, I just thought of another solution for the pre-flash problem, but this will only work if your light pre-flashes during the initial turn on, not randomly. Anyway, you could also close your eyes, switch the light on and before you can say SHIZZAMMM, the pre-flash should be gone and you can open your eyes again:D

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, just count to one and its over I am sorry dude it happens sometimes so I've heard.:oops:

I apologize if I came across as being rude earlier. It's just that this has been discussed before and that's my opinion on the matter. If anyone isn't happy with their light, then by all means do like Hobbs and sell, sell, sell. After all, if everyone was happy with their Quarks and other lights, the used market might not be as large as it is:thumbsup:. I think Quarks are excellent lights, and when you figure in the price, they're hard to beat. IMHO

Per-Sev

Enlightened
I apologize if I came across as being rude earlier. It's just that this has been discussed before and that's my opinion on the matter. If anyone isn't happy with their light, then by all means do like Hobbs and sell, sell, sell. After all, if everyone was happy with their Quarks and other lights, the used market might not be as large as it is:thumbsup:. I think Quarks are excellent lights, and when you figure in the price, they're hard to beat. IMHO
I just thought I got another bad light after what I went through with my ARC 6 because it did the same thing sometimes and now its fried so when I started to see that burst of light on this one too I figured here we go again. The Quark is OK but I will be much happier when my Haiku arrives today I will keep the Quark as a extra light just in case its not worth the trouble to sell it.:twothumbs

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe if the Quark gets lonely enough you will set it free to a new home:D. They're usually snapped up pretty quick on the marketplace though. You might lose $10 or something in that range or you might get full price, you never know.

Mikellen

Enlightened
I had a Quark non turbo tactical AA2 limited neutral run with a Q3 5A3 and it only
pre-flashed once if I turned it to the loose mode which was set to moon mode. If I turned the light on after that while still in the loose mode I didn't get a pre-flash. Now I have a non turbo tactical AA2 warm white and I get the pre-flash every time if I wait more than a couple of minutes. I specifically purchased the single AA body to make this light my midnight bathroom break light and have it set to moon mode but in the middle of the night if I forget to place the light against my leg or chest my eyes get zapped with a quick flash. :eek:

I think I remember reading somewhere on this forum that the regular UI didn't have this pre-flash characteristic as much as the tactical UI.
Does that seem to be the consensus or am I incorrect about the this?

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
Is there play in the threads? can you easily rock the head side to side when slightly loosened?

Mikellen

Enlightened

I fixed the Pre-flash yesterday by changing the mode from low tight to low loose. When the head is tight its programed to the brighter mode when the head is loose I have it programed in the lower levels and I have not had pre-flash since I changed the programing. Right now I have it programed that when the head is loose its in level 2 and when the head is tight is in level 4. I have tried different programing and as long as the level is set lower when the head is loose I have had no pre flash.

This is the exact way in which I will get the pre-flash. I just programmed it to come on in mood mode when head is tightened and high mode when head is loose. I only get the pre-flash after going to moon mode directly after it was in high mode. If I keep it in mood mode (head tight) even while off for an extended period of time there will be no pre-flash when turning it back on.

So hopefully it will continue working this way!

Thanks for the idea!

red02, there is no play in the threads but seems like the problem is fixed!

Qoose

Enlightened

I have my Quark programmed both ways, high tight low loose, and switched. Either way, every once and a while, I get pre-flash, which wrecks the night when your camping. That and I was getting tired of having to remember to cover my light.

So now it's my loaner light. Like people said, you can voice your opinions by selling or buying, so I'm not buying a quark for a while.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have my Quark programmed both ways, high tight low loose, and switched. Either way, every once and a while, I get pre-flash, which wrecks the night when your camping. That and I was getting tired of having to remember to cover my light.

So now it's my loaner light. Like people said, you can voice your opinions by selling or buying, so I'm not buying a quark for a while.

This might sound silly, but you weren't holding the bezel tightly while you were pressing the switch were you? If you have high set to bezel tight and low set to bezel loose and you're holding the bezel while pressing the switch (bezel loose in low mode), the bezel can make contact and switch back to high (pre-flash) until the button is depressed. I think this happens due to play in the threads. If you make certain you turn the bezel loose far enough, you don't have to worry about it. If you want to see what I'm talking about, loosen the bezel about 1/4", wrap your hand around the light gripping the bezel real good and fully click the switch to the on position using the thumb of the same hand that's holding the light.

Last edited: