A2: First Impressions

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I had dinner and some great conversation with the master (PK) the other night. Some toys were bought out and the one I kept going back to was an A2. I finally got a chance to use this light in darkness as well as open it up. Certainly I am biased by the quality of SureFire as well as the high caliber of design and material usage called out by PK and his group but the following observations are relatively objective, I believe.

The A2 feels and handles like an E2e initially. When you slightly depress the tail switch, you get a beam of light very similar in pattern and brightness to the Opalec New Beam. I compared a New Beam I had to the A2 Low Beam (LED's) and the A2 was a bit brighter at 10 feet but very similar. No surprise here as both use 3 of the Nichia NSPW500BS LED's. The A2 has a simple resistive circuit whereas the NewBeam is constant current. At some point in battery depletion one would expect to see the New Beam's beam win out in brightness. However, since the A2 does have a reflector surrounding its LED's there may be a certain gain on photons making it out of the flashlight head over the New Beam.

Now if you depress the tail switch a little more, your beam goes from the blue-white low beam of the Nichias to a yellow-white high beam of a 60 lumen incandescent bulb. This transition is, subjectively speaking,WAY COOL! :) The color temp on the beam is reminiscent of a typical SureFire incandescent on new batteries. However since the incandescent in the A2 is digitally controlled, this color will remain as well as the intensity of the beam for the useable life of the batteries. When the batteries are no longer capable off powering the incandescent, there is plenty of juice left to fire up the LED's. One aspect of the switch that I was curious about and finally got to test was the sequencing from momentary to full on. In addition to the "two" position low to high beam of the momentary, you can screw the tail cap through the same two positions; low to high. If the light is in the constant on, low beam mode, pushing the tail button will shift you into momentary high beam. This feature is likely to spoil us something fierce!

As a flashlight hobbyist and simple modder, the A2 blows me away! The miniature circuitry in all of the regulated lights is black box magic to me but the wonder and sophistication in the A2 goes well beyond the circuitry into mechanical and material issues where I am typically more comfortable. Beyond electronics, The A2 has to be the most sophisticated pocket flashlight I have ever seen. The bezel on the A2 is removable but you are not looking at the batteries once the bezel is off. You have access to the LED lamp ring assembly as well as the incandescent envelope on the bezel side and on the battery tube side you are looking at a very intricate, multiple contact, mating system for the electrical paths from the electronics within the battery tube to the light elements in the bezel. To remove the batteries, the tail switch is unscrewed and taken off. Within the tail switch is an unknown to me method of not only completing a power path from batteries to circuit but also a signal as to which mode, low or high beam, is to be in operation. Because of the need to provide more than a simple path for electrons through the battery tube to the electronics in front of the batteries, SureFire has installed a metal sleeve within the Al housing as a more dependable and consistant path for the electrons to follow. As an aid to screwing the tail switch in and out in a smooth and tight manner, an Acme lead screw type thread has been used on the cap to body thread. Longitudinal displacement per revolution (pitch) is increased in a very robust and dependable fashion with this choice of thread.

With the 10X and very soon the A2, SureFire is really raising the bar for other flashlight manufacturers! I think this is great but saddening in a way as well. As a modder looking at the A2 I probably have some of the same thoughts as one who grew up hopping up '57 Chevys now thinks when looking under the hood of a late model automobile.

No camera so no beam shots; sorry. Another surprise to me was the quality of the incandescents beam. I had expected some strong artifacts or irregularity in the beam due to the presense of the 3 LED's. From a couple of feet away, you could see a bit of a clover leaf pattern in the beam but from 10 feet, it is really negligible. The effected area is in the perimiter of the beam and not the center. In retrospect, I believe this is a good indication of how well the dimpled reflectors smooth the beam pattern.

There was no discussion or comment on the selling price of the A2 but I must say with all the tooling involved and multitude of components, this is not a simple light!

PK does feel that a November release date is still a go. I sure hope so!

- Don

K-T

*Moderator*
Thanks a lot for this short review.

It sounds like that light must be very impressive.

Klaus.

Ninja

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update... very timely
icon14.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
i think the price tag would be close to US$200 - US$250, when compared to the M2 which is much simpler in construction and already costs US$150.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job Giz! Thanks again for the info. Now on the list. G2z, Tigerlight, A2. (not necessiarly in that order)

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nascar,

Other than saying that November was doable as production is underway now, PK was not more specific. I assume that this is a decission made by the marketing department as well as others? When I think SureFire, I find myself thinking PK but SureFire is a big company with many departments and folks involved. I believe PK is titled as New Product Developement Manager so I assume he has his hands and input involved in something like a release date but when, where and how it will be anounced, who knows. I certainly hope we don't have to wait for the SF website to be updated or an e-mail release notification
icon15.gif

- Don

Deviant

Enlightened
McGizmo,

nice detailed impression
icon14.gif

was there anything discussed abt the incadesant frying the LEDs? or was there anything that isolates the LEDs from the heat from the incadesant?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Saint Tanic,
Those are good questions posed but unfortunately I didn't ask them :-( . As I recall, the Nichias can operate in a fairly warm environment butI have no idea of what the steady state temp within the A2 would be if it was left on long enough to reach steady state.

Darell,
Thanks, I take your comment as a compliment but in PK's presence, I'm humbled to the point of wondering why bother
smile.gif
. However, PK is a flashaholic at heart and has a collection of all kinds of lights and certainly he needs to lower his standards if he wants something other than SF
grin.gif

I must say he had one of his own mods that still brings a smile to my face when I think of it! It was a 2D cheap Chinese Mag knock off with a rubber grip that had the bumps for your fingers. A couple of times, he took it apart and the spring would act up and the light wouldn't work sometimes. (LOL) BUT the thing contained a 1 W Luxeon and PCB with a custom highly polished and deep parabolic reflector! Talk about a sleeper! This thing had the best beam I have ever seen from a 1 W!
grin.gif
I must say that PK is a very kind gentleman with a true passion for flashlights and a great sense of humor! It's a bummer that he can't post and play freely here on CPF but if he were to just answer the E-mail he already gets, he wouldn't have any time for anything else. If he were to open the floodgates here, there would be no closing them and it's too bad but we are certainly better off, as is he, when he devotes his time to product developement for SF. IMHO

I'm cracking myself up imagining PK posting his mod here and then thinking about us posting comments and asking him to make more with different battery combinations and colored LED's and what have you. Maybe we can do a group buy on the base flashlights and then have PK sit at home and mod them for us.
grin.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

- Don

Oh yeah, even the L1 might still be a 2002 release! I suspect that the upcoming Shot Show is going to be a real LED and digital eye opener! I hope you guys going take gigabytes of pics!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

So how do we know when it is released? Man, SF shutting down the SFDB was a bad move I think. Sure it quieted the rumor mill but sheesh, how are we supposed to buy it if we don't know about it.

Quickbeam:

"The question of the hour is: Who will have it available first! Based on previous releases, which dealers should have it earliest? Input, anyone?"

I order from SF directly to save a week or two from double shipping (SF to Dealers, Dealers to me) but of course it's at retail price. Though the A2 will be free shipping so shave off shipping from the dealer price. It was like $5 more for the KL1 from SF if you factor in Shipping so I figured it was worth it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Surefire M6:
So how do we know when it is released? Man, SF shutting down the SFDB was a bad move I think. Sure it quieted the rumor mill but sheesh, how are we supposed to buy it if we don't know about it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well PK did give us a heads up here on CPF alerting us to the KLx series so maybe he'll do it again. I also assume some of the dealers will post as well.
icon3.gif

So how do we know when it is released?...how are we supposed to buy it if we don't know about it.

The best way to find out about new product releases is to register your e-mail in SureFire's product release/updates e-mail list. Go to http://www.surefire.com. In the bottom left corner of the home page you will find a window to enter your e-mail. You will then be taken to a page that lets you select the product categories of interest to you. I suggest that you select all categories. Thanks for your interest and for choosing SureFire.

Regards,

Derek McDonald
SureFire
Marketing Coordinator

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Derek,

Welcome and thanks!! I like this proactive approach!!
grin.gif

- Don

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Derek. I've been signed up for that but I never get any e-mails. I wasn't notified of the KLx release either. I found out by pk announcing it's release here.

Did anyone else get e-mail notification of the KLx? If so, maybe it was a glitch or I should re-sign up?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, excellent review, thanks for the info! I foresee a new winner in the ubiquitous posts that ask "If you could only have one flashlight....?)