Is anybody disappointed with their RRT-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeMan458

Banned
I am.

:mecry:

I find the RRT-1 to be a little throw monster capable of competing with the RRT-3, just not as floody. I find, that although the RRT-3 is floodier (smooth faced reflector), after about a hundred and fifty or two hundred feet, the effectiveness of the beam flattens out and leaves me wanting more.

:sigh:

What say you?

:confused:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that the RRT-1 would have quite a bit better throw but of course we all know which one wins the lumens battle.

Here's the way I view the RRT-3 from an outside perspective. It's running at 5A instead of 10A, so half that of the SR-90. It also has a smaller reflector than the SR-90.

Main disadvantage: Much less surface brightness than in the SR-90.

Secondary disadvantage: Not as much reflector for throwing.

Main advantage: Size! It's the length of a WE Boxer24W, has a head diameter of a SF M6, and had a body diameter of a FM Megallenium.

Secondary advantage: Non-proprietary battery. I think it's great that you can select whichever 18650 cells you'd like to use.

In summery, it's not as bright but it is pocketable, more ergonomic, and uses batteries that can be charged in the light or out. We shouldn't expect a SST-90 at 5.0A to be a "thrower" because the surface brightness isn't high enough and there's not enough reflector to make up for that lack of surface brightness. With that stated, it looks like a heck of a nice light and something that I'd be interested in. Just haven't committed to it yet because I haven't seen any beamshots.

EDIT: I forgot that the RRT-3 was using the SST-50, so forget what I stated about surface brightness.

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
How does the RRT1 look at 200 yards vs the 3?

:drool:

Two hundred yards? I'm lucky to get two hundred feet.

:green:

Beam-wise, the RRT-1 looks great. The center spot is excellent but a bit expectedly smaller when compared to the RRT-3. I like the RRT-1 and find it to be an excellent product. The RRT-3 has a bunch more flood and the spot is a bit larger and brighter, but maybe by "only" fifty percent. If I needed to, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either another RRT-1 or a RRT-3.

Personally, I want more out of the RRT-3 then it's giving. I find that I'm disappointed in the RRT-3 as it leaves me, unlike the RRT-1 or the RRT-2, wanting more.

:mecry:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
Here's the way I view the RRT-3 from an outside perspective. It's running at 5A instead of 10A, so half that of the SR-90. It also has a smaller reflector than the SR-90.

Main disadvantage: Much less surface brightness than in the SR-90.

Secondary disadvantage: Not as much reflector for throwing.

I am not sure you disadvantage holds, the RRT-3 uses the SST-50 not SST-90, i.e. it has a smaller led and probably have same or higher surface brightness then the SST-90 in SR90.
A smaller led can also do with a smaller reflector.

chef4850

Enlightened
This is surprising to me! :thinking:

I recieved my RRT-3 and it is very impressive to say the least. I am sure it is not as bright as the SR-90 But I really did not expect it to be.
I also have the RRT-1 and RRT-2 and all are great lights at a very good price. :thumbsup:

I feel that the hot sopt on the RRT-1 is not as usable as the RRT-3 just too small to light anything up at any distance. It is a great light for a certain purpose. But I feel that the RRT-3 is a better all around more usable light.
(not based on size as the RRT-3 is a little big to be EDCing.)

I work on a private golf course and there is plenty of darkness as well as pre measured distances to try out lights. When I recieved the RRT-3 I naturally brought it to the club for a "test run". I was amazed at the throw and the size of the hot spot at thoes distances. It was amazing - although I am sure it is not as amazing as the SR-90 but I have never seen the SR-90 in action. I am easily capable of lighting up the green from the tee box on a 420 yard par four. That is 1260 feet and that is impressive at least to me! :D

I do have one question as to the level settings. When the selector ring is turned all the way left to the last setting is that the "stand by mode"? The reason I ask is when I turn one the light and dial it down to that setting the light goes off and then brightens a little bit and turns off. Is this the light "getting rid of leftover power"? Is that really the stand by mode or is my light not functioning properly?

This light is called the RRT-3 and not the SR-90 and the two really should not be compared to each other. There are way too many differences between the two lights and it is not a fair comparison IMHO.

These are my opinions and I realize that to each his own. I for one am impressed and feel the wait was WELL worth it. JB is an outstanding job and should be commended! :twothumbs They have cranked out several new lights in a fairly short time and the products are superior to many others at similar pricing.

Chef

BeeMan458

Banned
...when I turn one the light and dial it down to that setting the light goes off and then brightens a little bit and turns off. Is this the light "getting rid of leftover power"? Is that really the stand by mode or is my light not functioning properly?

Same behavior on this end. If you turn the setting ring quickly to the right and then back to the left, the light will change to constant on at it's lowest setting. Twist the ring to the right and quickly back to the left, and the light will brighten and then go black as you described.

:)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I am not sure you disadvantage holds, the RRT-3 uses the SST-50 not SST-90, i.e. it has a smaller led and probably have same or higher surface brightness then the SST-90 in SR90.
A smaller led can also do with a smaller reflector.

So true! haha. I forgot that it was using the SST-50. :laughing: Thanks HKJ!

I'll look forward to you getting your HKJ since I believe it was you who mentioned that you had one on order. I'll look forward to your thoughts...

:popcorn:

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'll look forward to you getting your HKJ since I believe it was you who mentioned that you had one on order. I'll look forward to your thoughts...

I expect to get mine at the end of the coming week (But customs may interfere, delaying it a bit).

I believe that is will be more like Fenix Tk30/TK40 than throwers like Catapult and JetBeam M1X/M2S, but I will have to wait and see.

nvrdark

Newly Enlightened
This is surprising to me! :thinking:

I do have one question as to the level settings. When the selector ring is turned all the way left to the last setting is that the "stand by mode"? The reason I ask is when I turn one the light and dial it down to that setting the light goes off and then brightens a little bit and turns off. Is this the light "getting rid of leftover power"? Is that really the stand by mode or is my light not functioning properly?

Chef
Just got mine and noticed the same thing. I topped of my batteries and have not seen the pattern again.

Status
Not open for further replies.