best duty flashlight? - surefire lx2 or e2d?

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
hi guys,

as said in the title, i'm looking for a strong, durable (LED) flashlight with around 200 lumens and nice battery runtime for my SHTF equipment. it will get attached to my molle plate carrier.
now i've taken a closer look at the Surefire LX2 and E2D, both got nice max output, just the runtime of the E2D on low is a little longer.
another one i saw was the Insight HX200, though i couldn't find any reviews on it?

what are your favorite out-of-the-box flashlights (no modifications plz) for hard use and good ouput?

can you recommend the Surefires, or the Insight, or do you have something completely different in mind?
then let me know!

best regards
xamoel

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The biggest issue for you to evaluate comparing the LX2 and the E2D LED is the user interface (i.e., the switch). The LX2 has a very simple interface: push hard for high, push less for low, twist for constant on. The E2D LED is a little more complicated. Push for high, push again for low, click for high or low. I like the L-series interface much better than the E2D LED/E1B interface. That would be especially true in a SHTF situation. You should figure out which would work better for you, ideally by trying them at a dealer (which can be tough, since B&M dealers are not always easy to find).

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
yep, that's what i've heard as well, the swith on the LX2 seems to be much easier to use.

any ideas on the Insight HX200?

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
well strobe isn't really that important to me.

bullettproof, why would you stick to the E2DL over the LX2?
the handling of the LX2 would, imho, make it easier to use under stress?

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
Surefires are definitely well-built flashlights, but tend to lack output and features when compared to many other lights now available. And, for SHTF scenario, I question the advisability of choosing a light that requires 123 batteries -- the worse the scenario, the less likely it is that 123's will be available. Consequently, the flashlight in my BOB is a Quark AA. It features a "moonlight" mode (which could be useful in several pressing scenarios), a simple UI, a very nice beam, and multiple well-spaced output levels. In everyday use I run it on 14500 rechargeable lithium ion cells, which gives it a turbo output of 200+ lumens, but leaves me the option of running it on the ubiquitous AA alkaline should the need arise.

Good hunting!

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO/YMMV, the E1B and E2DL violate the primary rule of extreme-stress life/safety gear: KISS. When TSHTF, your reflexes are going to max out. The L1/L2 switch suits that situation perfectly. No bobble, no double tap, no click/no click. Just push harder to go brighter. :thumbsup:

bullettproof

Enlightened
well strobe isn't really that important to me.

bullettproof, why would you stick to the E2DL over the LX2?
the handling of the LX2 would, imho, make it easier to use under stress?

The E2DL has a momentary on off and use of a clicky. The LX2 has a tailcap that push in for lo and a hard push in for hi.If your thumb gets tired from pushing in or your thumb slips off the button it turns off on the LX2.Also in order to get it to stay in Hi without pushing in hard with your thumb you have to twist the tail cap 340 degrees to keep it on.

Now imagine this drawing your weapon and LX2 and trying to keep it on hi for 3-5 minutes using your thumb.Your thumb will tire fast.Now imagine if its a longer stop/standoff you'll have to try and twist the tailcap 340 degrees while holding your weapon taking eyes off of the threat. Just to keep it in hi mode.No LEO should ever have to take eyes off a threat to change modes on a Flashlight.

Now the E2DL has a push button tactical forward with clicky. Push it in for momentary or all the way in and click it and your still in Hi mode.No twisting thumbing around and your eyes are on the Target at all times.

I have played with both light I love the look of the LX2 I would take an LX2 over my E2DL however Im not using it for LEO or Military purposes so Im fine with whatever however being a Former (Paramedic) I understand the needs of these Professionals.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
And, for SHTF scenario, I question the advisability of choosing a light that requires 123 batteries -- the worse the scenario, the less likely it is that 123's will be available.

In my experience, B&M stores run out of common alkaline battery sizes (e.g., AA, C, D) first when demand for batteries spikes (e.g., impending hurricane, widespread power outages, etc.).

Having said that, no matter what one's preferred cell size or chemistry, it isn't a good idea to wait until need is imminent to purchase extra cells. Even alkaline cells have a reasonably long shelf life, so stocking up is prudent.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
In my experience, B&M stores run out of common alkaline battery sizes (e.g., AA, C, D) first when demand for batteries spikes (e.g., impending hurricane, widespread power outages, etc.).

Having said that, no matter what one's preferred cell size or chemistry, it isn't a good idea to wait until need is imminent to purchase extra cells. Even alkaline cells have a reasonably long shelf life, so stocking up is prudent.

That's a very good point that I'd never considered. Also, could you stockpile AA's that will last for 10 years like 123 primaries?

JCD

Enlightened
That's a very good point that I'd never considered. Also, could you stockpile AA's that will last for 10 years like 123 primaries?

It appears that is a possibility.

Energizer MAX: Up to 7 years
Energizer Advanced Lithium: 10 years
Energizer Ultimate Lithium: 15 years
<http://www.energizer.com/learning-center/Pages/battery-comparison.aspx>

Panasonic Evolta cells are claimed to have a shelf life of 10 years in an alkaline chemistry.
<http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/01/17/new-panasonic-evolta-the-worlds-longest-lasting-aa-alkaline-battery-cell/>

It's probable that other reputable manufacturers, such as Duracell, also offer cells with 7 year shelf life or more.

If users keep their battery stocks rotated, seven years should be ample shelf life for most people.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Now imagine this drawing your weapon and LX2 and trying to keep it on hi for 3-5 minutes using your thumb.Your thumb will tire fast.Now imagine if its a longer stop/standoff you'll have to try and twist the tailcap 340 degrees while holding your weapon taking eyes off of the threat. Just to keep it in hi mode.No LEO should ever have to take eyes off a threat to change modes on a Flashlight.

Now the E2DL has a push button tactical forward with clicky. Push it in for momentary or all the way in and click it and your still in Hi mode.No twisting thumbing around and your eyes are on the Target at all times.

I won't argue that there are definitely preferences a person might have, and advantages and disadvantages between the 2 stage twist and the 2 stage click interfaces Surefire uses. However, I really can't imagine why you'd take your eyes off the target to activate or change levels on the LX2 - I use one every day and operate it one handed without ever looking at it.

I freely admit that I have NO IDEA how well that would work with a firearm - I don't use or carry a firearm, but I can't really see how operating it would require you to take your eyes off the target.

I think it would depend on how you plan to grip the light while using it, particularly with a pistol. I can switch twist the LX2 tailcap one handed no problem in either an overhand grip (twisting the cap between my thumb and forefinger), or with an underhand grip (gripping the cap with my 3rd finger and twisting the body of the light.)

If your grip is a cigar type grip, where you really only have your thumb to use, you can definitely switch levels by pressing, but you have to hold it. (No clue if that's a big deal or not - I really have no idea how long one would train a pistol on someone.) In that type of grip, there is almost no way I can twist the light to lock in a level. I have no personal experience with this, but I can't imagine that holding a pistol makes that any easier. (So I think you are 100% right about that!)

Anyway, I know people understand this stuff, and sorry to belabor a point. But I do think it comes down to how you like to carry / use the light, and what's natural and comfortable for you.

Believe it or not, I actually prefer clicky tail caps, and yet despite that, I find that I keep going back to the LX2 because it is just so perfect. Operating it is VERY natural and comfortable, at least to me. The two light levels it offers seem perfect for my uses too. (Again, my uses are WAY less stressful than that of a LEO or paramedic, although I am out in the dark quite often.) I honestly find some of the click to switch mode lights I have to be somewhat annoying to use. (Not trying to say anyone is right or wrong here - I think either light is reasonably well designed for military / LEO use, and maybe it just comes down to fit / preference / training etc.)

07gttom

Newly Enlightened
duty i use a modified mag lite with 3 cree mce led's in it, very bright, good for house clearing and lights up the inside of cars very nicely. one mode and it is high. backup i have a jet beam le/military led flashlight. it is very nice, has very good throw, has up to a 3 hour runtime on high, best thing is you can set the secondays output for whatever you desire. i keep it in a surefire v-71 flashlight holster.

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
well, i finally got my LX2, and WOW, i'm really impressed! great quality overall, just an awesome light!

now just a quick question:
how would you attach the LX2 to a molle chest rig?
and what do i do if the LED breaks for some reason? do i need a new LED-head?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you will need a new LED head - that said, the LED will be good for years. If the unit fails mysteriously, odds are it'll be covered by SF's warranty. You might want to go ahead and fill out that registry card. :D

As for the first question - are you trying to clip the light for use hands-free, or as a carry option? For carry/transport, I'd recommend you use a PALS/MOLLE pouch.

If you're trying for hands-free use, you can simply clip the light to the MOLLE PALS strap. I'd dummy-cord the light with a lanyard to a second PALS strap, but that's just me.

-Trevor

xamoel

Newly Enlightened
ok, so i don't need to buy like a back-up LED head, like in the old days with incandescent lights, where you needed to buy new bulbs in case the old ones broke...

only for carry/transport, doesn't surefire themselves produce a MOLLE pouch for their flashlights?

btw is the surefire lanyard any good?