L4 flickering?

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I was using my L4 last night when all of a sudden, *bam,* it drops out of regulation just like that. Anyway, I still used it even though the beam was rather dim and noticed that it was flickering for a little bit and then stopped. Is that normal when it falls out of regulation? I threw a new set of batteries in there afterwards and there's no flickering. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
How much run time did you have on the batteries? If it was about an hour then there is nothing wrong.

When it drops out of regulation it is sudden, you do not get a gradual dimming like you with with DD lights.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I think the flickering is normal with the L4, KL3, KL2, KL1, and other regulated LED lights when the batteries start to poop out and drop the light out of regulation.

I don't think the flickering is anything to worry about.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
like Craig said ... all my regulated LED lights do this. I like it and use it as a "battery indicator":
first, the light does not get as warm as usual, then, a few minutes later, it flickers and is starting to dim seriousely.
bernhard

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the flickering is probably a result of the circiutry trying to pull enough current from the batts for a sustained current; and as the batts rest inbetween this cycle of current pull, they pop in and out of regulation: the flickering... I'm assuming as you run the drained batteries longer, the flickering will become spaced out more, and will stop soon afterwards...