Recycling lights? What do you do with old, outdated lights?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what do you do with common, relatively low efficiency flashlights?
Can't really upgrade a lot of them as most LED heads are potted. Do you just keep the host and bore out the electronics and put in updated guts?

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I give lights I no longer want away to people who I think would like them.

I think this is the best route. When a flashaholic considers a light 'outdated'......it's probably a still a killer light for a non-flashaholic. Everything is relative.

Ian2381

Enlightened
I just put them on the shelf, most of these lights has been a testament of my adventures. Some made me remember the times before being a flashaholic. Great for collection purposes.:)

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Just put them all in a box. Maybe someday you can use them again. It's hard to let it go coz it's has a sentimental value to you.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give some away some lights to non-flashaholics and keep a few others when they become outdated. The lights I keep usually end up in our family vehicles. Giving them away is fun.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
I give them to friends that are used to MagLites or even worse, the plastic C/D cell incandescent lights <shudder>. An old Target River Rock Luxeon is about ten steps in a better direction for them.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just threw out a couple of old surefire's in the trash last week why, what do you guys do with your old lights?

:crackup:

Tuikku

Enlightened
As a noobie its hard to say, not many lights yet...
I have given away and sold cheap some small "deal site" lights.

I believe even some beginner in here would take some old flashlights if given free or only for shipping fees.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I just put them on the shelf, most of these lights has been a testament of my adventures. Some made me remember the times before being a flashaholic. Great for collection purposes.:)

That's OK too. I may save some that have been with me on some adventures, and my lights have been in some very cool places I am not allowed to talk about. But, most I do give away.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put them in emergancy kits. My work disaster kit sports a L4 (I bought it from Quickbeam!), Arc AAA CS, and a Tikka headlamp. All my 1st aid kits have Arc AAAs plus pocket knives that are currently out of favor. My work personal protection equipment duffel bag has a E2x (clipless) w/MN02 LA. I have a softsided briefcase at work with a poncho, hygiene kit, sewing kit, and a turboheaded C3.

Don't store, stash!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I give to friends who appreciate a good flashlight. This isn't very common however, because there are few people who are interested in flashlights...
Many of them are like "I don't care much, I found a light for 2$ at the supermarket, and that's good enough for me..." :ironic:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no such thing as outdated light to a true flashagolic. it just a light in need for makeover.

Redjam

Newly Enlightened
Pass them on to my kids and the kids of friends, make new flashaholics. Nothing warms my heart more than to hear one say "Can I use a brighter one Daddy?"