Spartacus: Blood and Sand on Starz Channel

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
WOW, this was an amazing little series that just concluded. If you don't mind wanton violence, blood, nudity, sex, etc. etc., this is one of the most impressive shows I have seen in a very long time on TV. The "raw" nature is an attempt to authentically capture the reality of life in Roman times. This is Lucy Lawless (Xena) in a whole different role. If you liked the movie "300," you should love this show.

If you have Starz on demand, you can still watch it. They really pushed the envelope....I'm not sure they were even left with an envelope they pushed it so far. Fabulous show...but not for the faint of heart.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got into it about 4 weeks ago. I missed the first few episodes but watched the rest on demand.

This is such a guy movie. The one hour show is half raw sex and half killing. I'm not even sure there was a plot half the time.:D When I say there is killing, I mean killing. If you saw the movie Ninja Assassin or Kick ***, you know what I'm talking about. The scenes are very bloody and gory.

I did enjoy the season finale.

Where do they go from here for the next season?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Well the history of Spartacus is that he banded together quite a large group of slaves and common folk that didn't like Roman domination, using guerilla tactics and seizing better weapons, went on a number of campaigns going up and down Italy...eventually truly terrifying the Roman leaders who initially saw this uprising as nothing more than a small group of gadflies.

However, the bigger problem for Season Two which was scheduled is that Andy Whitfield playing Spartacus has recently come down with a Lymphoma cancer, and they are no longer sure when they can do a more filming.

To keep the cast and staff employed, there is talk of having a prequel where they can use a young actor to play his life leading up to his enslavement...hoping that Andy will have a timely recovery.

There is very much a rich plot among the Roman leaders and slaves. This is definitely a guy's movie....and you can finally see Lucy Lawless in ways that you could only imagine in Xena. :whistle:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I didn't agree with you on the Avatar movie Lux, I must say I agree completely on Spartacus. I have really enjoyed this mini series.

Bill