Movie Review - "Kick-***."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
:caution: This film is not family friendly. :caution:

Had to get that out of the way. Not the first time that Hollywood has created a trailer that was the exact opposite of what you get when you plunk down your hard-earned money. For some reason, it seems to be trendy to trick movie-goers into seeing a film by creating a manipulative trailer.

The film is based on the concept of Super Heros who have no actual Super Powers, but dress in costumes to fight crime in the real world. The main hero names himself "Kick-***." (Ironically, he's the most mentally stable out of all the heros in this film.)

Kick-*** has an old-fashioned sense of what it means to be a Super Hero. He represents what many folks believe is found in modern-day comic books. Actually, Kick-*** represents the type of Super Hero you used to see in the comics. For example, Superman helping an old lady across the street, or stopping a couple of bank robbers without actually hurting them. However, the other heros in the film represent what is typically found in modern-day comics. Those aren't written for kids. They're written for adults. And the following words can be used to describe those types of Super Heros . . . Dark, disturbed, emotionally damaged, mentally deranged, etc.

Nicholas Cage is in this film. And what you see can be described as his most disturbing role to date. (And if you've seen his other films, you know that's a helluva thing to pull off.) He plays the part of a father with a pre-teen daughter who is seriously disturbed as well. Soon their paths meet with Kick-*** in one of the bloodiest scenes in the entire film.

When he's not pretending to be a Super Hero, the teenager who wears the costume tries to gather the courage to ask out the girl he's in love with. Somehow, he tries to do this by letting her believe that he's gay. This does lead to some very funny scenes in the film. On the surface, it's a funny movie. Scratch it with just your fingernail, and you realize that just below that surface is a truly dark & disturbing film. While the main villian is almost comical in nature, what he does; isn't.

While not giving away any of the important scenes, I must mention one scene where the young daughter hides behind a kitchen cabinet while being shot at by the bad guys. A scene that anyone who watched and enjoyed the American version of the film "La Femme Nikita" will surely remember.

Flashaholics Corner:

The only light in the movie worth mentioning is a weapon-light mounted on the underside of what appears to be a Sig Sauer. Beam has an obvious blue tint. The weapon-light also has a high rate of strobe. Couldn't tell what it was though. Sorry.

In conclusion:
~~~~~~~~~~~
If you want to see a film that is truly dark & disturbing, but in a bit of a subtle way; I can recommend this movie. If you want to see something with your kids, skip this film.

Family Friendly: :thumbsdow

Dark, disturbing, sometimes funny: :twothumbs

Edit:

"Kick-*** 2" movie review added. Look for date stamp 08/24/13 about 5 pages in.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I originally thought it was supposed to be a comedy until I saw more of the trailers.

I liked the film but it is not for everyone.

This is definitely not a film for young children.

That gun mounted light was interesting with the very fast strobe rate.

I had never heard about the real comic book Kick *** until this movie.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is the first movie in a long time that gave me the sense of a generational instant classic, similar to Gremlins or Goonies.

Anyone reading who has seen the movie should also post their impressions, the reviews are widely varied - Roger Ebert called it "morally reprehensible", while the Associated Press said, "Director Matthew Vaughn has made an action comedy so bloody funny -- double emphasis on bloody -- fans might need to see it again just to catch the gags they missed from laughing so hard the first time."

hitgirl.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Anyone reading who has seen the movie should also post their impressions, the reviews are widely varied - Roger Ebert called it "morally reprehensible", while the Associated Press said, "Director Matthew Vaughn has made an action comedy so bloody funny -- double emphasis on bloody -- fans might need to see it again just to catch the gags they missed from laughing so hard the first time."

I can understand why some would genuinely see this film as morally reprehensible. As for the Associated Press, they got it wrong. Plain & simple. It's a dark, disturbing film with comedic scenes sprinkled in. It's not even something I'd classify as a Dark Comedy. Blood, a bit of gore, plenty of action, and mentally deranged Super Heros. The comedic scenes work. But the film is too disturbing to be classified as an Action Comedy.

BTW, that pic looks like a still shot of the moment just after she executes the Doorman. Yeah, he's a bad guy. But in that scene, he felt sorry for her. Tried to help out the "little lost girl" by giving her his cellphone.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the media here in Oz were hung up on the level of violence and blood in the movie, and the fact that most of it was carried out by a 11-year-old girl. Not to speak of the language...

Somehow I recall Kill Bill being far bloodier.

I was glad to finally watch a movie that was not stifled by Hollywood. Kick-*** was (mostly) privately funded and the writer was allowed to see his vision (however messed-up his vision might be) come to life without being dulled down by marketing.

Congrats to the makers of this movie for sticking with it, and making the movie you wanted to. Regardless of content, the fact that it hasn't been bludgeoned into mediocrity by some guy in a suit alone makes this movie worth seeing

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Somehow I recall Kill Bill being far bloodier.

I was glad to finally watch a movie that was not stifled by Hollywood. Kick-*** was (mostly) privately funded and the writer was allowed to see his vision (however messed-up his vision might be) come to life without being dulled down by marketing.

Congrats to the makers of this movie for sticking with it, and making the movie you wanted to. Regardless of content, the fact that it hasn't been bludgeoned into mediocrity by some guy in a suit alone makes this movie worth seeing

Ditto here- we need more films like this and Watchmen- that are not product placement 1:58 minutes of fourmulatic garbage (ala spiderman discovering web shootin ablility on a Dr. Pepper can) about time we get what free thinking non sheeple deserve. The significance of this type of movie getting made may be short lived- as it is all cyclical/money driven.
Perhaps this is the cycle of the underdog with Jeff Bridges aka "the Dude" of Big Lebowski fame are finaly getting the respect they deserve.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
It seems to me that when reality sucks, fantasy is a welcome diversion. What we seek from fantasy as individuals is likely as diverse as we are. We can create our own fantasy and daydream or be fed a packaged fantasy via the printed word or multi media. I like Nicholas Cage and have seen a number of his films. I appreciate the OP's review of this film and I think I have a good feel for the darkness this movie is likely to embrace. This particular avenue of escape from reality is not one I would choose, given other options; or so I would guess.

I just watched Gamer on DVD last night and it was certainly thought provoking and I suspect similar to this film being reviewed in the sense that the creators were allowed a refreshing level of artistic and creative freedom even if the story and content might be viewed as less than wholesome or refreshing. Different in core between the movies perhaps is the question and recognition of reality but then fantasy perhaps prevails in both?!? Regardless both films feed us fantasy.

If this film is not family friendly then the simple solution is to avoid it with the family. If reality is not family friendly on the other hand it is sad to think that a family friendly fantasy is the refuge to seek. When the going gets tough, go to the movies? :)

I'm rambling but thanks for the review and comments provided by the OP as well as the rest of you guys!

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that the same critics that hated Watchmen also hate 'Kick-***'.

Considering I liked both 'Kill-Bill' and 'Watchmen' I might have to see this.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
It seems to me that when reality sucks, fantasy is a welcome diversion. What we seek from fantasy as individuals is likely as diverse as we are. We can create our own fantasy and daydream or be fed a packaged fantasy via the printed word or multi media. I like Nicholas Cage and have seen a number of his films. I appreciate the OP's review of this film and I think I have a good feel for the darkness this movie is likely to embrace. This particular avenue of escape from reality is not one I would choose, given other options; or so I would guess.

I just watched Gamer on DVD last night and it was certainly thought provoking and I suspect similar to this film being reviewed in the sense that the creators were allowed a refreshing level of artistic and creative freedom even if the story and content might be viewed as less than wholesome or refreshing. Different in core between the movies perhaps is the question and recognition of reality but then fantasy perhaps prevails in both?!? Regardless both films feed us fantasy.

If this film is not family friendly then the simple solution is to avoid it with the family. If reality is not family friendly on the other hand it is sad to think that a family friendly fantasy is the refuge to seek. When the going gets tough, go to the movies? :)

I'm rambling but thanks for the review and comments provided by the OP as well as the rest of you guys!

Deep thoughts Don.....my head hurts now. Must rent Gamer.
Remember the original Tron- the remake should be interesting..and glowing like trits...:popcorn: Check out Idiocracy (2006) with Luke Wilson and Dax Shepard if you want a good laugh....his defense lawyer got his Law Degree at Costco...:crackup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Films like "Kick-***" tend to stand out more than they normally would because Hollywood has clearly given up on the concept of anything original or artistic. Best way for a young screen-writer to make sure his creation is never turned into a movie, is to tell a Hollywood producer that the script is unlike anything he's ever seen before.

Way the wrong tactic. Hollywood producers don't want to take a chance on an unknown script by some unknown writer because they have no clue how the audience will react. They want Money Makers! That's why we are flooded with such a ridiculous number of remakes. An original that made a buttload of money back in the day, gets a freshening. No need to spend major bucks coming up with a script or story idea. (Those already exist.) Give the remake a new title, and wait for the money to start rolling in.

So, when something a bit original comes along that's actually quite good; starved movie-goers go crazy over it. If you're constantly being fed the same old crap, you'll go crazy over something truly new & tasty too.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ragecage,

I recently purchased both Idiocracy as well as The Cove to share with friends over here as I feel both are worth the time they require for viewing and good food for thought; with the former good entertainment as well! :D

Additionally I really like Jeff Bridges too! :thumbsup: Dude is memorable as is Geek in Surfs Up! I enjoyed him in a recent film, "The men who stare at goats" which is also a bit off the beaten track. :D

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ragecage,

I recently purchased both Idiocracy as well as The Cove to share with friends over here as I feel both are worth the time they require for viewing and good food for thought; with the former good entertainment as well! :D

Additionally I really like Jeff Bridges too! :thumbsup: Dude is memorable as is Geek in Surfs Up! I enjoyed him in a recent film, "The men who stare at goats" which is also a bit off the beaten track. :D

I've seen Idiocracy. 5 stars for premise. 2 stars for execution.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I thought Watchmen was far too dark - the gimmick of cavalier murder works well in the comic book format, as it adds movement and color with less of a sense of meaning or frequency; but it doesn't work at all in a movie, where everything is occurring to/between real people, and within a brief span of time. I don't think it works in Kick-*** either, but it is at least not as common or widespread as it was in Watchmen.

Those of you who like fresh, new, out-of-the-box movie ideas will be chagrined to know that the financial sector wants to begin a box office futures market - now rather than the profits of Hollywood studios being on the line when a movie is made, you can include a whole new barrage of investors and big businesses who will be waiting for their cut. It's about to get a lot worse.

As a side note, if you prefer to watch new releases at home rather than at the theater, that method of viewing this film is currently available.

hgknuckles.jpg

Last edited:

tokerblue

Newly Enlightened
The weapon light appears to be a Streamlight TLR-3.
- I couldn't catch the light fast enough, but the TLR-3 doesn't have strobe. It was probably the TLR-1s or TLR-2s.

I saw the movie yesterday and I loved it. It was a great blend of dark humor, great fight choreography and solid story.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the movie this weekend. I can relate to those that say this movie is very comedic and also to those that say it is somewhat disturbing. Overall, I did enjoy the movie and was laghing at a lot of it. But to do that, you do need to let go of reality a bit. In the real world, some of this stuff would be very disturbing. But if you stay in the entertainment zone, it is enjoyable. If you look at it for social commentary, it's got some weird stuff.

Nicholas Cage as the Big Daddy superhero character is probably to most disturbing because of how he treats his daughter. There's a lot of love between them but training your daughter to kill bad guys definitely qualifies as child abuse in the real world. But for a pseudo comic book movie, it does make for some great scenes. And I think the movie does a pretty good job of constantly reminding you not to take it too seriously. That's one way I think it's less disturbing than Watchmen. Watchmen treated the comic book world as reality so the adult themes in the story were more disturbing. Kick-*** is constantly laughing at itself while pretending to be reality so it's not very disturbing when the villians act villanous nor when the heroes are just a bit twisted themselves. The fact that the Kick-*** superhero finds BD and HG to be almost as frightening as the villians keeps the movie from becoming a gratuitous gore fest.

Kick-*** was a decent movie and would have been more enjoyable if they had turned down the gore a notch. But I can see where I might be a bit of an old fogey and the higher gore levels might be targeted at folks younger than me. In contrast, Gamer was nothing but gore with almost no story line behind it. The story was an excuse for the action scenes so the movie fell flat. Kick-*** has a story, even if it's more like an adult comic, and the action scenes do fit the story even when they go a bit overboard for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.