Are these good lights for a newb?

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i'm new here, and very new to flashlights. I've been EDC'ing a Fenix E01 for a few weeks now and have been using it more than I thought I would. Its a great little light but I find myself wanting a little more power. Now i'm getting all excited looking for new lights and itching to get all kinds of lights and feeling guilty for wanting silly (but useful) toys at the same time. Anyways, there are two lights that catch my eye, the Nitecore Ez123 and the Solarforce l2. I was initially going to try some el-cheapo brighter lights off dealextreme but I have a weakness for higher quality machined metal (and i dont want to wait a month) and these two seem to scratch that itch without breaking the bank.

1) I know the Solarforce l2 is a knockoff but i cant resist its looks. What drop in should i use to wring the most power out of 2 cr123a's at a reasonable price? Can i use 2 cr123a's in an l2?
2) Is there any better value than the Nitecore ez123 that i should know of? I want to spend as little money as possible, but still want a decent quality, bright, keychainable, edc light.

These addictions to quality objects are addicting
Thanks

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I can't speak to the EZ123 since I don't own one, but for a replacement for you E01 you might consider the ITP EOS A3 3-mode. For just over $20 you get a well-made light with a beautifully smooth beam, 3-well spaced output levels, and a simple UI that won't activate in your pocket and drain your battery. I've been carrying mine for several months now. It sits in my pocket completely unnoticed -- until I need it. You can take a look at them here: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_19

Good hunting, and :welcome:

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Take a look at the Quark mini 123 as an alternative to the EZ 123. Also the Zebralight SC30 (This is a side clicky with the dimensions of a twisty).

I find the 10 lumens of my EZAA low (same as the E01) a tad dim and the high a bit too bright. The Quark mini and Zebralight have 3 levels.

Ian2381

Enlightened
For the same size as the E01, Get the ITP A3, 3 modes and really bright for a small light. Just got the stainless steel version and will be my EDC now.:twothumbs

For a bigger light get the SOlarforce L2 powered by 1x18650. Its really bright and has great run-time. Its Quality is really great for the price.:twothumbs

I have bought several lights already and this two is one of my favorites.:twothumbs

carrot

Flashaholic
The Surefire 6P can be had for $50 or less on the MP and will scratch that itch for high quality. It will also properly fit drop-ins as all P60 drop-ins are designed around the Surefire, and not for the Solarforce, which is actually fairly different internally.

Look at Malkoff for the best quality drop-ins. If you are looking for something more available, try Nailbender.

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at your suggestions. How is the performance different when using 2xcr123a VS 1x18650? I'd like to get these two lights to share rechargeable cr123a's. What is one of the more common/affordable p60 drop ins for maximum throw?

Thanks again for all your help! This is a great forum.

pounder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I'll take a look at your suggestions. How is the performance different when using 2xcr123a VS 1x18650? I'd like to get these two lights to share rechargeable cr123a's. What is one of the more common/affordable p60 drop ins for maximum throw?

Thanks again for all your help! This is a great forum.

I find no difference in my L2 with CR123s or rcr123's from a 18650..just longer runtimes with the 18650..I use the 3v-18v R2 drop-in from solarforce..it's got pretty good throw for a little light..

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should get one of the quark mini's your choice of battery.
If you are interested in getting into dropin's, I also just got my first p60 host, the sky-ray sr5 and I really love it so far and def recommend it:
check deal extreme sku.32749

Also check out the romisen rc-c6/rc-29. Another of my favorite lights at the moment.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're into nicely machined metal, go look at a Lummi Raw NS (but it uses a 14250 not a CR/RCR123), it's beautiful.

I own a solarforce L2, am using it now with a cheapo DX R5 single mode drop in, have heard varying reports on how it died very easily etc but mine seems to be surviving pretty well for now. You can get dropins from SBFlashlights as well as the host, in fact you could just build your own light there and get it shipped to you.

I am now using unprotected soshinee RCR123s in my lights though i have other protected RCR123s, i dont like it when my lights just cut off suddenly but at the same time am quite vigilant on checking voltage levels and have a recharging routine that i stick to.

For smaller lights, i have a Mini 123 neutral white on my keys now, great little light, hardly know that its there at all. If you like the form factor of the E01, you might want to take a look at the LD01, it comes in a stainless steel version too if you want the shiny look.

Lots of other good lights out there but i'm only going to recommend those that i have personally handled or own

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Definitely get the Nitecore EZ, especially if you want a little more throw. They are only two levels, but very nice in how a single twist takes your to low, then high.

If you're interested in a bit floodier beam then the Quark MiNi series will be better for you, in addition to having three levels and a nice low setting too.

Although the Lummi lights are very nice, you run the risk of lots of wait time with flimsy excuses with no guarantee that you'll ever see your light unless you buy a used one.

joe1512

Enlightened
One way to up the power a bit is with the itp A1 EOS. Similar to the A3, except a bit shorter and almost twice as fat.
It uses a CR123 battery (or rechargable version), and instead of 2,18,80 lumen modes, it has 3,30,200 lumen modes instead!

I use it as my keychain light and it is great. It is small enough to work as a keychain light, but with almost 2.5 times the power of the A3.

36\01RSAW

Newly Enlightened
The more I keep looking at lights the more trouble I can see myself getting into. Now I'm looking at the Nitecore D10 tribute edition because I watched a youtube video of the ramping abilities and and the piston and all the cool features and my mind was blown. I think the financially smart decision would be to get the ITP but I really like knurled bodies (and now ramping and the piston). I'm being very picky about the aesthetics of my lights. Is the anodized finish on the D10 and Ex10 different than the EZ series? The EZ series seem to have more of a matte black finish and I do NOT like matte black on my lights. The D10 seems to have a more silvery/gray smoother finish. My favorite finish for light bodies is the kind on HDS Ra lights with that smooth glossy anodization and the AlTiN on the bezel. I like anodization that is glossy and has a brownish/bronzish/purpleish tint to it. Anyone know what other lights have this finish or am I just seeing weird things through my screen. The hunt is still on but i'm trying not to make a hasty purchase. Whew, sorry for being long winded.

Thanks again

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've had a truckload of D10's and seen the color range all over from purplish to greenish to straight black. They are a nice light and if you want one, just get it!

I just mailed one off today to get put into a titanium body!