Flashlight..."junk"???

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
What am I to do???

It just occurred to me this week (being off again) that I have tons of crap lying around, and some of that crap is old flashlights.

Even having thrown some of the early super-cheap stuff I purchased away years ago, I still have some lights I want to keep, but don't know what to do to get them up to current LED brightness standards.

I have...

6 D Mag

5 D Mag

One broken 4 D Mag that needs a new reflector (battery popped in one and I tried to clean out the alkaline damage with a chemical that pretty much ruined it. It is now acting as an awesome as hell club by my bed)

3 D Mag Led (I swapped the bulb out and put it in with two dummy batteries in my 5 D to use as a vehicle "anti-road rage" light). That leaves this one fresh for modding.

2 2 D Mags (bulbless and ready to mod)

1 2 C Mag which is just too cute to touch, but I may want to mod it)

Inova XO and one smaller gray Inova, probably around 20 or 40 lumens.

Cabela's 180 lumen incan

A Sportsman's Warehouse 9V Xenon (120 lumens)

An Acamdemy 72 lumen deer hunting light

140 lumen (never had it) Armourmax Cree led Brinkmann (used to be called the Brinkmann 3W)

So help an hombre out...what is the most efficient way to make this mess playable again? They're just sitting in a drawer doing nothing. Ideas.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Have you thought about selling them all as a lot and then using the money to buy new flashlights you actually want? I've always found modding to be so great in theory, but so difficult in practice. :)

If you still want to mod, though, you could see whether any of the standard P60 dropins will fit in your Sportsman's Warehouse 9V host. (Nailbender, Dereelight, and Malkoff come to mind.) The Mag hosts are perfect fodder for an ROP build, or an SST-based mods which would light up a room. And, of course, there's always the Malkoff dropins for your C- and D-cell Mags...

- FITP

Last edited:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Have you thought about selling them all as a lot and then using the money to buy new flashlights you actually want? I've always found modding to be so great in theory, but so difficult in practice. :)

If you still want to mod, though, you could see whether any of the standard P60 dropins will fit in your Sportsman's Warehouse 9V host. (Nailbender, Dereelight, and Malkoff come to mind.) The Mag hosts are perfect fodder for an ROP build, or an SST-based mods which would light up a room. And, of course, there's always the Malkoff dropins for your C- and D-cell Mags...

- FITP

Sounds like a plan. I never thought about making money on them, but I could, I guess. I forgot to mention my Brinkmann Maxfire, which I still love, and the led drop-in from SF which I got for it. I'll keep that and couple, I think.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
Mod the Mags. Like FlashInThePan said, they will make perfect hosts for a number of mods, both incan and LED. I modded an old 2D Mag to a ROP (Roar of the Pelican) incan mod w/ aluminum MOP reflector, Borofloat lens, Pelican FL-3854 bulb, Fivemega 6xAA carrier and it spits out 900+ lumens for about 30 minutes using 2000mAh Eneloops. Now use your 6D for a MagROP w/ 12Ah NiMh D-cells and you can have a beast of a light that should last long enough for whatever task you might throw at it. There are a number of LED mods too for you 2C, 2D and 3D Mags.

But if you're not into all of that, throw in some Nite-Ize, Terralux or Malkoff drop-ins and use them as emergency lights and place them around the house.