Pelican 8060 v. magcharger

eze284

Newly Enlightened
I'm reviewing the Pelican 8060 for my duty light as a police officer but currently use a Magcharger with a terralux led upgrade. I was wondering how does one compare to the other with throw and use for traffic stops, etc. Beamshots of the 8060 would also be appreciated. I also have a Streamlight SL20-led as a backup to the magcharger. (imo the mag blows that away) Thanks for any and all help. lovecpf

curtispdx

Enlightened
I've had both. (But not at the same time.) I think the 8060 is a good light if you're looking for long runtime and the ability to use plain old C cell batteries to run it if necessary. If I remember correctly, the beam and throw were pretty similar to the 7060. For what it's worth, I'm hearing of trainees breaking their 7060s by accidentally dropping them and rendering them useless. (Of course, that can happen with an incandescent light too.) Pelican has a great warranty and customer service, however.

The Magcharger is big and heavy and I hated carrying it around but it's a good light. I didn't discover this place until it was long gone but if I still had it I'd gather a couple of Five Mega's parts (I don't think he makes them anymore) and make it a GREAT light.

In regards to LED versus incandescent I've had many of both (still do) and my preference is toward the incan. Best of both worlds, I think, is a full-size incan and a smaller 6P-sized LED.

By the way, do yourself a favor and compare the Magcharger with the incandescent bulb to the 8060 at night. Look at grass as if you're searching for a bullet casing or look at the difference between a dark blue car, a black car, or a dark gray car.

Last edited:

eze284

Newly Enlightened
I'm bumping this thread up. Seeing if anyone has any new thoughts about these two lights. Thanks

jaundice

Enlightened
I can't comment on these particular lights, as I've never owned them, but I have owned similar lights and made my own choices. I had a Streamlight SL-20XP for about 12 years, along with a pair of Streamlight polystingers. I've replaced them with a Pelican 7060 and a Malkoff M60L in a Surefire G2Z. I have smaller incans, should the need arise. Currently, I'm partial to a Surefire P90 or P91 in a Surefire 9z bored to take IMR 18500s.

The Magcharger is a great light, but a little dated. To me, it's like a '73 Camaro: the technology is 20 years out of date, but with a couple of changes, you can make it a hotrod that will still smoke the competition.

First, the light uses Nicad batteries (2500 ma, I think). It really needs a 4000ma Nimh battery. This is a simple swap, and you don't need to do it right away. Wait for the original battey pack to die.

Fivemega still sells ceramic slugs for the magcharger. This, coupled with a metal reflector and glass lens, and you can swap the bulb for a superbulb. The output will blow you away!

I've never seen an 8060 in person, but I have and frequently use a similar light, the pelican 7060. It's a fantastic light for 2007, but now, it's also a little dated. I'm sending mine off to be modded with a warm emitter, maybe an MC-E or similar (the exact mod to be determined).

Curtis, as usual, is right on. The color rendition of LEDs isn't that good, when it really matters. Not that this is remotely important, but one time I was BBQing after dark, and using an LED light to try to see if the meat was done. I cut the meat open, and couldn't see the color of the meat! It was all a pale and washed out. I had to go back inside and get my ROP.

So, if it were up to me, I'd get a quality incandescent light for certain tasks, and probably a quality 6P sized LED light for everyday use, and of course an LED weapon light for your pistol.

Good luck!

-John

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
I have both.
The mag is very good, but the rubber switch cover breaks and the switch will get dirty and stop working. You can send it in for repair at no cost but it will take 4 or 5 weeks.
The pelican works fine, and gives 6 hr on charged batteries. In case of emergency you can install normal C batteries and you get about 11 hs. runtime. It's also very solid, and could be used as a baton. Also has very good customer service and garantee. The beam quality is very good.

dougie

Enlightened
I think the answer has to depend on whether your needs are for an incandescent with a short run time or a LED with a long long run time? There is no doubt that normal LED's don't allow good colour rendition but then what use is a light when it runs out of juice before you've finished whatever you were using it for? As to build quality and durability of the Pelican's are as good as any I've used (and I've used a lot). Personally, the larger size of the Pelican doesn't faze me anymore than the Magcharger did. However, the weight of the Mag is just something that I don't need. If I had to choose between a Magcharger with an incandescent bulb and a Pelican with a LED I'd always choose the Pelican but YMMV?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 7060led and even though it's only 170 lumens its throw is incredible. I EDC'd it at work for 6 months, then moved to something smaller. Now it's a drawer light I only grab on occasion. With my job, an HDS throws plenty.

5Sport

Enlightened
Have you thought about the SL20XL (LED). I just got one to test for work. I am not sure of the run time, but the ability to dim the light is a nice touch for writing. They also fit in the older SL20X charger if you already have that light.