Laptops & Extended Desktop

Centropolis

Enlightened
Hi CPFers,

I am looking to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed. I have a few questions on using extended desktop and general laptop features.

I know that if my laptop has a VGA or HDMI out, I can display the monitor output to whatever I am connected to. But what I want to do is have the laptop display as my main screen and a monitor display extended.

1) Does whether extended desktop setup will work depend on the actual laptop (assuming that the laptop has a VGA and/or an HDMI output), a feature of Windows, or both?

2) Does extended desktop work on laptops that doesn't have a separate video card with its own memory? Meaning that some of the 'mobile' video cards have shared memory with the CPU.

3) Most new laptops nowadays don't even come with a recovery CD-ROM with Windows operating system. And most of them don't have a recovery partition either. I heard that you have to make a 'recovery image' of the computer right after you first turn on the laptop. Is this the only way to have the operating system backed up if after a couple of years I need to reinstall windows?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. It is standard feature nowadays, Windows 7 and any modern video card will work.

2. Yes, integrated graphics cards such as the Intel GMA will work for it.

3. What kind of laptop are you planning on getting? If you order online, you may be able to specify that you want a disk, or you can call support and they can mail one out to you. You would not want to backup the laptop in "factory-unfresh" state. They come with all kinds of preloaded junk, the first thing I would do is wipe the system. Windows 7 has a system backup feature, which would be sufficient for backing up the OS. You may want to create a partition for storing backups though.

Centropolis

Enlightened

Si I guess I should use the Windows 7's own recovery disc making feature rather than the Toshiba or HP's own recover center's stuff?

I cannot open that link right now because I am at work but will the Windows 7 recovery disc only back up the settings and the OS and not the extra stuff like Norton trial version?

Also, I've heard that things like Norton will keep pop up with reminders to subscribe if you don't uninstall it completely from your system. And I heard that it is very hard to completely uninstall Norton, is this still true?

Centropolis

Enlightened
1. It is standard feature nowadays, Windows 7 and any modern video card will work.

2. Yes, integrated graphics cards such as the Intel GMA will work for it.

3. What kind of laptop are you planning on getting? If you order online, you may be able to specify that you want a disk, or you can call support and they can mail one out to you. You would not want to backup the laptop in "factory-unfresh" state. They come with all kinds of preloaded junk, the first thing I would do is wipe the system. Windows 7 has a system backup feature, which would be sufficient for backing up the OS. You may want to create a partition for storing backups though.

The ones I am looking at right now are Toshiba and HP. Someone said that you can order a disc at a cost? I think that's unfair if I paid for the software already to charge again.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used the recovery disk feature because I use Symantec BESR, but I don't think it can be used to create an install disk. The install disk is several GBs. The recovery disk is probably a stripped-down version of the install disk, which also contains recovery options.

The ones I am looking at right now are Toshiba and HP. Someone said that you can order a disc at a cost? I think that's unfair if I paid for the software already to charge again.
Both of those companies are known for having rather bloat-filled operating systems and recovery images (had that headache several times with customer systems, HP does a recovery partition thing which is just a pain). Not to get too far off-topic, but Dell is the brand I recommend, with the Vostro and Latitude being top-notch choices. Dell offers free disks with new systems, and they will also send you a replacement disk at anytime for free, in addition to having excellent quality and support.

Random Guy

Enlightened
I would recommend, no matter what brand of computer you buy, to get a business laptop, not a consumer one. It may cost more, but they are typically more easily serviced, are more likely to have a modular drive bay (so you can take the DVD drive out and replace it with an additional battery or a blanking plate to save weight), and come with crapware installed.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant to say 'crapware not installed'. While not a rule, business level machines tend to have less pre-installed bloatware, particularly Dells as of late. Not that anybody cares, but Microsoft is on record as of late really letting their OEM buyers know they aren't pleased with this.

I work in a lot of different companies and have touched about everything. Over-all I give Dell a nudge over the pack *if* you are buying business class machines. Best advice I can give for a laptop is never spend a lot of money on one because they simply don't last.

Symantec becomes nagware when it expires. Then again, I refuse to use either Symantec or McAfee because both suck anyways. Learn to use your machine (especially while surfing) with a restricted account (no admin rights) and this protects 1000x better than having the top A/V program.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Asus makes great laptops that will do what you want at very reasonable prices. They also come with a recovery DVD in addition to a hidden recovery partition.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic limited warranty is indeed not great, but support for business laptops, and especially ProSupport, is much better. ProSupport is optional, which could actually be good as not everybody would need it.

Empath

Flashaholic
10 Apple vs PC posts removed (so far).

Hi CPFers,

I am looking to buy a new laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Apple vs PC feuds don't address the OP's question. Apple vs PC needs to be handled in the Underground.

Talking about PC, Microsoft, or the many PC manufacturers is no problem. Talking about Apple and their products is no problem. Comparative discussions, however, have demonstrated that there is no conclusion, and usually little civility involved.

Rather than let the hi-jack close the thread, we'll just remove the posts. Feel free to resurrect your Apple vs PC discussion in the Underground.