What would you do if . . .

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
you had two like new 2-D Maglites and one 2-3D Malkoff drop-in and one 4-6D Malkoff drop-in? I was too late on the M61 notification, but evidently have good luck with the Mag drop-ins. I kick myself for waiting too long on the M60LL as they're sold out now.

I've pretty much decided to use 3 C cells with the 2-3D Malkoff as this seems to be the best way to get the voltage needed for full output. I'm still open to suggestions, but it has to be relatively easy.

Now for the 4-6D Malkoff, I really need some advice. If I understand correctly, 6 volts is all I need to get maximum output. Therefore, I'm not sure if 6 AA batteries would be the way to go. Now if higher voltage = more output, then it seems worthwhile.

Simply put, I'd like to get the maximum output from each for the longest time possible. Like who doesn't. But since these are evidently designed mostly for throw, I don't expect to use them a lot. But when I do, I'd like them to reach out as far as possible.

I'm open to any suggestions as long as it will work in a 2-D Maglite. Also any advice as to how to actually do what you may recommend will definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4-6D Malkoff drop-in can handle up to 9V input, so you could use 2 AW IMR 26500's to run this light. All you need is a charger for the batteries and a piece of PVC for the batteries to fit in to take up the difference in OD of these batteries. Of course, you should read about the proper handling of Li-ion batteries before you use them. These are a safer chemistry, but you should still read up.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I need to learn more about IMR batteries and using more than one Li-ion batteries in a light (in series?).

Is there any benefit in using more than 6 volts? Better run time, more lumens, or longer battery life?

I have searched previous threads regarding this topic, which is what led me to buy the 4-6D Malkoff. Now I'm considering selling the 2-3D Malkoff, because I bought it before I knew there were ways to use the 4-6 D in a 2D Mag. But first I want to get the 4D drop-in set up and then I'll decide whether to sell the 2D drop-in.

I seldom need 1000 meters of throw, but I would like to have one long throwing light. I've found that having a small CR2 or AAA light combined with a 2 x 123 light is all I need most of the time. But it's fun having options.

Edited to add:

I just looked up 26500 batteries. Since D cells are 60 mm what's the best way to make up the difference? Can I just stretch the spring enough to make up 20 mm?

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every additional battery in series, increases voltage but capacity stays the same. In parallel the capacity increases, but voltage stays the same. For example, if you're using 4.2v, 2600mAh batteries, with 2 in series you would have 8.4v and 2600mAh. In parallel you would have 4.2v and 3200mAh.

The Malkoff you have is regulated, so I don't think you will see any difference in brightness as long as the voltage stays within the advertised range.