Surefire 6P Question

recDNA

Flashaholic
If I buy a 6P with the intention of changing the P60 is there any reason not to buy the less expensive incandescent version of the 6P? Is it different from the led version in any way besides the pill?

Any reason not to buy the gray version? Either way it's only HAII right? I haven't really seen any pictures of modded gray 6P's here.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no difference between the models except for the laser etching stating 6PL on the LED version.

The Gun Metal model looks great, one of my favorites actually.

recDNA

Flashaholic
There is no difference between the models except for the laser etching stating 6PL on the LED version.

The Gun Metal model looks great, one of my favorites actually.

Thanks. I should have known but I didn't see any point in taking chances. You don't know what you don't know if you know what I mean! LOL

txgp17

Enlightened
I think it's good to have a P60L LED lamp as backup, so if I was buying one, I'd buy a LED model and keep the LED just in case the mod I bought quit on me.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I should have known but I didn't see any point in taking chances. You don't know what you don't know if you know what I mean! LOL

Just as Dime mentioned above, the only differences is the wording on the side and the L models have the P60L module

Rocketman

Enlightened
However, I would recommend the 6P Defender, it costs not much more and you get the clicky switch and the defender bezel. Wish I had done that. And btw I really don't think an M60 or M61 would ever quit on you. I run an M60L and an M60LL.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, I would recommend the 6P Defender, it costs not much more and you get the clicky switch and the defender bezel. Wish I had done that. And btw I really don't think an M60 or M61 would ever quit on you. I run an M60L and an M60LL.

My sentiments exactly. So no real need to get 6PL just to have a spare P60L in my opinion because it'll just be wasted unused if you're going to get arguably the best dropin on the market in the Malkoff Devices M60/61.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey REC-
I thought u were a staunch solarforce value over
surefire guy ;)

whats changed yer mind?

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
As far as "drop ins" go, do you need to modify the body of a 6P to accept the M60/M61 or any other drop in for that matter? The reason I ask, is I bought an IR drop in a while back that I wanted to use in a G2, I also tried it in a 6P. The drop in wouldn't "sit" in all the way and make contact with the battery in either case. I then swapped the "drop in" into a Solarforce that I got from the "CP Marketplace" and everything worked out perfectly. The "host" was also set up to use a single 18650. Is this why it worked fine there? I don't have much experience with "modding" any of my lights, so I was just wondering. Is this normal for a Solarforce? I tried to search for a "cross" reference of drop ins and hosts that do not require any modification and have come up empty.

carrot

Flashaholic
The drop-in you bought was perhaps designed for a similar, but non-Surefire body. Most of these drop-ins will fit if you remove the outer spring.

The M60/M61 are designed to fit perfectly in a Surefire.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
THX Carrot,

I will try that and see if it works. As far as the Malkoffs go, which would you recommend if I want a "wall of light"? Or any other good "P60" style drop-in. I have plenty of "throwers", I just want a back up that is true flood. The closest thing that I have to this is a Surefire L5. Everything else I have is either not bright enough or has pencil thin beam with no "spill". Don't get me wrong, I love those lights. I just need something where if I have to "clear" a room, I can see everything in front of me not just what ever the center of my beam lights up.

The drop-in you bought was perhaps designed for a similar, but non-Surefire body. Most of these drop-ins will fit if you remove the outer spring.

The M60/M61 are designed to fit perfectly in a Surefire.

Turboman7

Newly Enlightened
Hey Carrot,

Another question for you. I've been looking for a post that I read a few weeks back that had a link to a website that was a flashlight beam "emulator". What I mean by that is, there is a picture of a light on a tripod and you choose the light you want to see. By choosing the model, you get to see what its beam looks like. If you need to "see" a different light, all you do is go to the list on the right and click it. If I remember correctly, I was in a different language. I have tried to search and have come up empty. I don't even know what to try next.

THX

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
Hey Carrot,

Another question for you. I've been looking for a post that I read a few weeks back that had a link to a website that was a flashlight beam "emulator". What I mean by that is, there is a picture of a light on a tripod and you choose the light you want to see. By choosing the model, you get to see what its beam looks like. If you need to "see" a different light, all you do is go to the list on the right and click it. If I remember correctly, I was in a different language. I have tried to search and have come up empty. I don't even know what to try next.

THX

I think you're referring to this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/240911

carrot

Flashaholic
The Malkoff M60 MC-E or M60F or M60LF are like this, depending on how bright you need. They may be difficult to obtain, however.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh I still think the L2 is a much better value but it's really designed for 18650. Too much room in there for CR123 and I I wanted a 2 X CR123 body. 6P incan with a discount is still over priced but it's something to add to the collection.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I hate the defender bezel but assumed I got a clicky switch on the 6P incan. If it's a twisty forgeddabout it. Please explain.

recDNA

Flashaholic
As far as "drop ins" go, do you need to modify the body of a 6P to accept the M60/M61 or any other drop in for that matter? The reason I ask, is I bought an IR drop in a while back that I wanted to use in a G2, I also tried it in a 6P. The drop in wouldn't "sit" in all the way and make contact with the battery in either case. I then swapped the "drop in" into a Solarforce that I got from the "CP Marketplace" and everything worked out perfectly. The "host" was also set up to use a single 18650. Is this why it worked fine there? I don't have much experience with "modding" any of my lights, so I was just wondering. Is this normal for a Solarforce? I tried to search for a "cross" reference of drop ins and hosts that do not require any modification and have come up empty.

As I read these posts I'm losing interest in the 6P

JCD

Enlightened
I hate the defender bezel but assumed I got a clicky switch on the 6P incan. If it's a twisty forgeddabout it. Please explain.

The Surefire 6P and 6PL both come with the Z41 twisty lock out tail cap.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The Surefire 6P and 6PL both come with the Z41 twisty lock out tail cap.

I was going to ask how much it would cost to add the clicky but the 6P is overpriced already even with the CPF discount so unless I can get one for 2 or 3 bucks I'll get another L2. Too bad. The gunmetal 6P is nice looking.

I hate twisties even on keychain flashlights because they require 2 hands to operate. I don't even see why there is such a thing as a twisty in a 5 inch flashlight.