How to make or break a business - sellers that do both!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I posted the below in another thread and decided that while there were a couple high profile questionable business models in the spotlight recently that I'd go ahead and start a thread on the subject.
This is not to tear anyone down, but rather hopefully, a place to distill analysis of what is done right that makes a company do well and instill customer confidence, and what is done wrong, even with excellent product to offer, that drives potential business away and makes customer trust all but impossible.

Please share insight in a positive fashion! ;)

Here's the post from the other thread...

"There are just too many similarities between this thread and the Lummi Jeers thread! Great lights that despite being a bit spendy, are still viewed as being very desirable. Should be good business, except that both companies refuse to do what it takes to keep customers happy - primarily not lying to them, and that is all that it can be at this point. There are far too many cases of people being told their light is on the way, only to have nothing show up.

Arc and Lummi both need to call Henry and ask him how he consistently answers or returns customer calls so quickly, finds time to post here and help us out, and ship his lights so quickly that they arrive before they're slated to leave his shop.

How many employees do all three of these companies have? I'm going to start a new thread on this topic and get out of the way here, but this is nothing but madness, that they keep jacking their customer base around, and then expect to stay solvent. :sigh:"

nbp

Flashaholic
Interesting topic Pete. I too have been following the Lummi thread and wonder what the deal is with people not getting lights in a reasonable time. I hope that some suggestions made here can be of help to the small makers here when it comes to maintaining a profitable business. As I posted in the Lummi thread, I would love to own a Wee or Raw, but there's no way I order one right now with the potential for months long wait. I have read similar things about Arc's CS declining in recent months. I sincerely hope that these companies can rebuild a business model that Is able to meet the needs of the customers, as they are an asset to the illumination industry.

From my perspective, honesty with customers must be a priority. If it is treated as such, much can be forgiven and resolved.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
It comes as a big disappointment to me, especially since I was looking forward so much to the variable output Wee and also hoped someday to get an Arc 6. Now I find myself very skeptical of even seeing the new Wee ever make it to market and my best hope for an Arc 6 is from the Marketplace, where they are even more scarce than they are direct.

Having seen how Henry deals with customer sales and service makes me think that any light maker with problems would want to become friends with him and ask how to do it right.

Your final statement really is the main point above all else; honest with those whom you would have support your company and products.

DM51

Flashaholic
This thread is already turning from the general topic of business difficulties into a discussion of a particular business. It has no place in the General Flashlight Discussion forum anyway, as it is discussing business practices rather than flashlights.

The difficulty is knowing where on CPF it might belong, but it is already likely that it won't belong at all, as it could easily turn into a Jeer and there already exists one on this in the MP.

We'll try it in the Cafe, but members are warned that discussion must confine itself to general business principles. If it turns to a particular case (or cases) it will most likely be closed there and will need to move to the Underground.

DM51

Flashaholic
Threads can't be moved between forums, such as between here and the MP or the u/g.

I'll leave it open for you to make a closing post announcing your intention to re-post it in the u/g, if that is what you would like to do, then I'll close it. I think that will be the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.