• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***SALES THREAD UP IN MP FOR NOW***FEELER: I'll Cerakote YOUR host

Status
Not open for further replies.

jslappa

Enlightened
May 3rd, 2010
The Sales thread is now active. I accidently put it in the Market Place. A mod will move it here ASAP. Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry but the shop I use does not have the time to deal with tons of small orders. It's really difficult to find a shop to do a $30 job. There's prep time, and setup involved. The shop has asked that I consolidate the orders to expedite things on his end. Please don't as for the name of the shop. No one is asking Moddoo or Gene for their shop info. Thanks for understanding.

So, I have been receiving a few PM's about coating members' hosts. I have a third batch at the shop now being Cerakoted for 3 members as I type this. I am posting this thread to determine if there is sufficient demand for such a service. Does your EDC look horrible? Is the ano completely worn off like DeFab's EDC EX10? Do you wish you could set your favorite 6P apart from the rest of your herd? Maybe you just want your M3 coated in Hidden White because you've never seen that before. Well, here is your chance (if there is a market for such a service).

Below are almost 30 colors to choose from. My shop has many of the colors, and I am waiting on a response to see which ones he can't/won't do. If it's not in stock, he can get it in 3 days, with a minimal upcharge to me for stocking it.

If you have a light you'd like Cerakoted, please post a reply here with what hosts you would like covered. I will then get a list going of the host types, and the prices associated with each respective size range.

257.png
258.png
259.png

260.png
261.png
263.png

262.png
264.png
265.png

266.png
267.png
268.png

269.png
270.png
248.png

250.png
249.png
251.png

253.png
252.png
254.png

255.png
256.png
271.png

272.png
273.png
274.png

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FEELER: I'll Cerakote YOUR host

I'm interested. Will electrical cleanup be provided? How will pricing be set? Is it per item, or dependant on size?

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened

always wanted an orange PEAK......would pricing be flat rate or dimension based?

jslappa

Enlightened

Since Cerakote isn't something that can be removed with paint thinner or most other chemicals, I will have to do that prep work first. Keep in mind, your anodizing will NOT be removed. Ano grows into the metal and makes a great bond for Cerakote. I will handle the cleanup. If I miss something, I'll give instructions on how to remove the Cerakote. Hopefully I will be able to tell which areas need to stay bare aluminum.

Price will certainly depend on size of light. My D10's and EX10's are $30 to coat. I'm guessing $35 for a 6p to 9p host. I'll know more in the coming week as my shop answers my questions.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm fairly ignorant on Cerakote's coating strength. Could you give us a brief description on it's properties and how it compares to anodization?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

I picked up an orange cerakote 6P - fantastic. Enough grip left, very nice. From what I've read it is supposed to be surprisingly resilant.

I've got a Leef 3 x 18650 ("18P") that I would love to get ceracoated. I'd send the surefire tailcap with guts removed & the bezel with the glass removed - so metal only.

Potentially a 6P as well (tail guts & glass removed).

paintballdad

Enlightened

How's the Cerakote when applied to bare aluminum? Thinking about getting my Mac's Customs SST-50 EDC done.

Last edited:

J3004

Newly Enlightened

what about maglite?

I'm interested in a white 2c host.

black bolt

Newly Enlightened

Do you offer the Cerakote in any of the Camo or Digital Camo colors. I'm sure I would be down for those colors for my M6.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested, lemme round up some lights...

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

How's the Cerakote when applied to bare aluminum? Thinking about getting my Mac's Customs SST-50 EDC.

I wanted to do the same thing with my aluminum body.

By the looks of the pictures, you can coat polymer (like the Glock in the picture)?

jslappa

Enlightened

Although my knowledge of both anodizing and Cerakote are limited, I believe they break down like this:

Anodizing aluminum occurs naturaly in nature. As soon as aluminum comes into contact with the atmosphere, it begins to oxidize. The oxidation coats the raw aluminum, stopping any further oxidation. Anodizing the aluminum is accomplished best by dipping the aluminum into an electrolyte bath, and applying voltage, generally betwen 1 and 300 Volts. The colder the electrolyte bath and the higher the voltage, the thicker and stronger the oxidized coating becomes. With Hard Anodizing, the electrolyte bath must be kept very cold, and at least 60 Volts of electricity must be applied. Imagine the surface of aluminum as quite porous. Anodizing actually "grows" material into the pores of the aluminum. Almost 1/3 of the thickness of HA attaches below the aluminum body. The rest of the HA is on top of the aluminum. Basically, anodizing is a process that just speeds up and enhances the oxidation of aluminum that happens naturally.

Cerakote is a coating that has a ceramic backbone. It is applied at my shop by automatic electrostatic application. Cerakote is harder than HA, thicker, can be applied in multiple coats and colors to acheive digital camo and other decorative looks. Cerakote's abrasion characteristics are unmatched in the industry today. The US government conducts tests to determine abrasion resilience, saltwater testing and other tests. For the particular gun coatings my shop uses, the following results of the miliary testing are:

1. Coating can withstand 160lbs per in/squared of pressure
2. over 8000 hours in 5% salt spray in 90 deg temps
3. Can bend 180 deg without any loss in coverage
4. Over 5000 rotations in an abrasion test before loss of coverage

I'm sure you could google cerakote and get better info, but that's what I remember. I sent a member a more detailed PM, but I accidentaly deleted it.

Paintballdad,
I'll get an email out to Todd to see how tough the coating is on bare aluminum, as it compares to the anodized base. I know he coats $2500 stainless guns and knives all day long, and his customers swear by it.

NFetterly,
I'll add those to the list. They are definitely dooable.

J3004,
Any aluminum light. (Steel, stainless steel and oter metals too).

I don't know how well it would adhere to 6/4 Titanium, but I don't see too many of us Cerakoting a McGizmo any time soon:grin2:

jslappa

Enlightened

Do you offer the Cerakote in any of the Camo or Digital Camo colors. I'm sure I would be down for those colors for my M6.

I have seen him do camo and digi camo, but it's way more time consuming and labor intensive. I'm sure he would do it, but I estimate a price increase of triple. Don't know if the market can tolerate that or not.

I wanted to do the same thing with my aluminum body.

By the looks of the pictures, you can coat polymer (like the Glock in the picture)?

Absolutely. Plastics and metals are his "bread and butter". He also does nickel plating, chrome plating and laser etching.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about YELLOW, I need a yellow light and prefer aluminum. All I seem to find are polytac and G2.

jslappa

Enlightened

How about YELLOW, I need a yellow light and prefer aluminum. All I seem to find are polytac and G2.

I like your sig, it's so true. With regards to yellow and other brighter colors, there are other Cerakote products that can acheive those colors, but not in the Hard firearm coatings. Todd's name, shop, business and return customers are on the line. He is a perfectionist and his main source of income is from working on guns. Guns, by nature, are expensive. His customes demand the most durable finish possible. I don't know if you have an guns at home, but the finish is less than durable. After a few rounds down range, the slide begins to lose some finish, becoming bright. Therefore, he only stocks the darker "H" colors, which stand for HARD. If you look at each picture I posted, the paint code for each is below the gun, as well as the name of the color. You will see that they all have the "H" next to the color code. Yellow, to my knowledge, is not available in the hard firearm coating.

Here are the data sheets for the H series Flat Dark Earth, and a C series Gold
C-122 GOLD
[FONT=&quot]Gloss Level Matte; 11.8 Gloss Units at 60[/FONT]°
[FONT=&quot]Theoretical Solids by Weight 60% +/- 2%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Theoretical Coverage per gallon at 1.0 mil 962 ft[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Viscosity #2 Zahn Cup 14 seconds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recommended Film Thickness 1.0 mil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5% Salt Spray (ASTM B117) 350 hrs (1000 hrs with base-coat)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pencil Hardness (ASTM D3363) 9h[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scratch Hardness (ASTM D3363) 4h[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Adhesion Cross-Cut Tape (ASTM D3359) 5b[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mandrel Bend (ASTM D522) 2 mm coating loss at 180[/FONT]° [FONT=&quot]rotation[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Impact (ASTM D2794) 40/20 inch-lbs[/FONT]
H-265 FLAT DARK EARTH
[FONT=&quot]Gloss Level Matte; 0.9 Gloss Units at 60[/FONT]°
[FONT=&quot]Theoretical Solids by Weight 33% +/- 2%[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Theoretical Coverage per gallon at 1.0 mil 529 ft[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Viscosity #2 Zahn Cup 14 seconds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recommended Film Thickness 1.0 mil[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5% Salt Spray (ASTM B117) 1000 hrs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pencil Hardness (ASTM D3363) 9h[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scratch Hardness (ASTM D3363) hb[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Adhesion Cross-Cut Tape (ASTM D3359) 5B[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mandrel Bend (ASTM D522) 180[/FONT]° [FONT=&quot]rotation with no coating loss[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Impact (ASTM D2794) 160 / 160 inch-lbs[/FONT]
As you can see, the H series is much stronger than the C series Yellow, firengine red, orange, etc.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened

I have a few Cerakoted hosts and really like them, so I would definitely be in for at least a couple. A round body 6P for one, lemme look at what else I'd want to do when I get home....

hornady708

Enlightened

I'm definitely in for a few hosts. While it might not be very popular, if he is willing I'm definitely interested in some digital camo. I've actually been shopping around to get this added to one of my XD's. Would you mind sending me a PM with the shop name so I can talk to him about getting a quote and more info?

Status
Not open for further replies.