My Arc Grey, 5W mod using BB750

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all

I just finished my Arc Grey mod using 5W LS, BB750 from Dat, and a special heatsink from Rothrandir.
here are a couple of pics.
fbaff7ff.jpg
fbaff7fe.jpg
fbaff7fb.jpg

and just to give you some idea on the thickness of the board

fbaff7fa.jpg

and here is a pic of the board inside the arc grey

fbaff7f8.jpg

I like this mod. I can run the 5W using 1 123 battery on original arc pack. But the heatsink was too fat ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif roth) and the arc pack cannot screw fully. As you can see in this
fbaff7f0.jpg

, the 0 rings cannot screw in the body of the light. But that is no problem to me as the head was intended to be used with UBH and 2 123 battery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The UBH requires a spacer to allow arc head to be used with it, but this grey mod get its own spacer in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .
Ahh, yea. Forgot to mention. All the above pics are courtesy from Rothrandir, my best lathe man (with DSpeck, of course) to date. It is also thanks to him for making such a wonderful heatsink.

I will post beamshots later if i can figure out how to use this $10 digital camera with 382 * 240 pixels /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

edit: ah yea, my Arc grey has been polished by roth special mean. Now it is as shiny as any mirror that you can find /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif?

in my own defense, the heatsink was as thin as anyone could possibly make it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

and i didn't design the entire heatsink...it was shifty's brilliant idea to use a flat disc...i just took some...err...liberties with that design /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

that picture was taken with a 1aa twistie pak. it might be that using a tsp pack would have allowed the pak to screw on enough to engage the oring sufficiently, due to the compression of the kroll tailspring. it was so darn close as it is...
i suppose it's even possible that due to slight manufacturing tolerances, a different twistie pak may have screwed on further anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

i should also add that those concentric rings aren't oopsies, they were put there on purpose to aid in centernig the luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lucien

Enlightened
Very nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

How's the heat though? I'm imagining a twistie combo that gets too hot to be able to hold to turn it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow I didn't realize how tiny the BB was. Oh, very well done by the way guys. Roth, how did you make that disk? Do you have a lathe? I'm gonna have to get myself one of those.

CM

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucien,
Roth's heatsink works really well that only after a few seconds of running the light, the head gets warmer. I am also anxious about the heat produced from the BB and to eliminate my anxiety, I am doing a run time (more like heating time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) test to the light. After a few minutes (5 minutes), the light was too warm, but still hold-able in the hand. I think the light stabilize itself after a few minutes. But the light itself was intended for momentary use, even though it can certainly serve a prolonged run test.

yclo

Flashaholic*
Roth,

Can you cut threads?

Consider these combinations:
Arc LS head + thingy1 + Z57 tailcap
Arc LS head + thingy2 + A2/L1 tailcap

-YC

Lucien

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
.. I am doing a run time (more like heating time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) test to the light. After a few minutes (5 minutes), the light was too warm, but still hold-able in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Still, better keep some burn cream handy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kinda makes me wish I had a lathe. Unfortunately I'd have nowhere to put one, and that's if I could ever find one on sale here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Y2Kirk1028

Enlightened
Wow, very nice work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
How is the BB being grounded? and what is used to attach it to the heatsink?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
YC, just shoot roth a PM. he is a great guy and I think he is capable of doing almost anything. I view him as McGizmo Jr /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chief, Yea me too. I like 5W in smaller package and i have been experimenting with many other with smaller and smaller casing. My first time 5W with BB board was in the LX, then goes to makin a sammich 5W for minimag (but that is mostly failure, because of that stupid solder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and the last one is this Arc 5W.

Lucien, yep. that is why Arc Grey is the most "worth it" purchase that i have ever made. it is so versatile.

Y2kirk. The BB is grounded to the heatsink, so as to transfer the heat. Because the - terminal of the Led and the BB is common, i just need to connect the - led to the BB and let the - at the BB touches the heatsink. But just make sure the + terminal does not touch the heatsink or killing the lux is absolute.
The BB is attached to the heatsink using AA epoxy. just mix some and put them on top of the board. the great Roth's heatsink will make it spread evenly toward the board.

Seriously, his heatsink is the most important thing in this mod, after BB750 of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yes cm, i have a lathe.
you really should get one! you can do a lot of neat stuff with them (just don't tell anyone you have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

yc, i can't cut threads until i get some replacement parts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
the gear shaft stopped spinning, and i broke two gears in the process! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Roth,

If you don't have any luck on the replacement gears, I will donate mine. I just use it (infrequently) for cartridge rim modifications. You have more b**ls than I attempting to do single-point threads with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. (If you have learned to do it with that, kudos! Some day you will get your hands on a real one and McGizmo and I better duck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

shiftd,

I work in Irvine (MacArthur and Red Hill) Never met a fellow Flasaholic in person! Lunch sometime?

Larry

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
thanks larry!

i sent an email to harbor frieght, and i think they're sending me some with the new shaft. but if not, i'll let you know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

i've just got to practice a little more with that trickey 4-start threading /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Roth,

For the 4-starts, you need some multi-colered Sharpie markers for the gear teeth. (It's a ***** when some of them are missing, or the gear has an odd number of teeth- happens sometimes with the metric/english stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

paulr

Flashaholic
Is this Arc/UBH combo actually smaller than an SF L4 or have any other advantages? Just wondering.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
bah, i'm just kidding about the 4-start! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

my blood pressure is higher than it aught to be already..

paul..
well, the ls was cheaper.
it pushes the led at 750ma, i believe i remember the sf to be somewhere around 620ish.
even though it's smaller, with this heatsink, it probably has better heatsinking...though i'd be interested in hearing about the kl4 heatsink
the only real benifit of the kl4 is the reflector...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Larry,
sounds good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I live near campus Drive, so that should be pretty near. Btw, any chance of getting a glimpse on your projects? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahh, a couple of beamshots.

Arc 5W alone:
fb978739.jpg

Arc 5W Vs Lx 5W
fb926fb8.jpg

well, as you can see, the arc 5W is no match with the LX 5W, but that is mainly because of 2 things:
1. the Arc is using 1 123 battery while the LX uses 2 123
2. the Arc is using NX05 optics, while the LX uses Fraen. That makes the beam from the Arc spreads more and becomes less intense.
I just found out that this digital camera can uses 640 * 480 pixels, so i will try to post another, more better in quality, pictures.

K-T

*Moderator*
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
yes cm, i have a lathe.
you really should get one! you can do a lot of neat stuff with them (just don't tell anyone you have one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Roth, somehow this all sounds familiar to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I wonder if you had this kind of conversation before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif And now I see all that fancy stuff you had to do for others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts