"tightening up" a SF tailcap

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
\"tightening up\" a SF tailcap

I have a E1e that I purchased used. It works great with a KL1 head, but the tailcap is fairly easy to turn compared to my other two E2e's. Since the light has seen a good deal of use, could the O-ring in the tailcap be worn enough to permit the tailcap to spin too easily?

I carry the light loose in my pocket, so I'd rather not have it accidentally turn on and waste my battery. Thanks for any help and I hereby apologize if this topic has previously been beaten to death. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Re:

Either the threads are damaged/worn (unlikely but possible) or the 'O' ring is damaged due to lack of lubrication. The only way easy way to tell is to replace the 'O'ring with a replacement, genuine or third party item and to lube it properly to avoid premature wear.

Please let us know how you get on?

Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

Dave, I'd get a small screwdriver and "ding" the threads gently. I know that sounds like sacriledge to some, but it'll fix it. Go slow.

LightChucker

Enlightened
Re: \"tightening up\" a SF tailcap

I would agree with Doug. That is, clean and lube the threads, and replace the o-ring. It could be that SureFire will send you a free one under warrantee.

I have heard of others just wrapping teflon tape on the threads to add resistance. You would probably have to redo this solution every few days or so. (You can get teflon tape in the plumbing department of any hardware store.)

EDIT: However, the teflon tape approach could act as an insulator, which would mean the light would not work.

Chuck

Dave_in_PA

Newly Enlightened
Re:

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm off for a camping vacation in a few hours, but I might have time for a trip to the hardware store for a replacement O-ring and lube job. I figure if that doesn't work, it's time to contact SF directly.

Thanks again.

Dave