ADVICE NEEDED FOR POCKET LED

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, new to the forum so greetings and salutations my friends.
Ok so I made the error of thinking that a Surefire 6p LED would fit nice in my pocket. Wrong, its too big for 24/7 pocket use so now I need to find a small LED that uses a single 123a battery.

I have my eye on a Fenix PD20 Cree R2 but I would like to ask if anyone can think of better small LED that has a simular price tag or maybe a little more ???? Please no surefires, I already checked those and although I would like an E1L Outdoorsman or E1B Backup I dont have that sort of budget for a pocket dweller ......

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I like the 1xAA format for a pocket light, it's quite thin, and there are a wide variety of battery choices that are available everywhere - and you're in luck as one of the best bang-for-the-buck models just came out a few weeks ago; the Quark MiniAA, 2 to 90 lumens for only $39 (without your CPF Member Discount). See it here: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_355&products_id=2044

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
I also really like AA but I live in the UK and it gets really cold here. -16c a few months back and I understand that 123a`s are not affected by temps as much as AA`s. I have 2650mah rechargeable AA`s and I really rate them highly for household items but for a torch I do love the 123a type....

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some good choices: Dereelight C2H, Quark MiNi 123, Quark 123, Jetbeam RRT-0, Nitecore EZ 123, Nitecore EX10, Nitecore Extreme and Liteflux LF3XT.

kayakjax

Newly Enlightened
While I have the Quark Mini's (AA, 123, CR2), an Aleph 19, a Bitz Ti, etc, I tend to carry my Quark 123. It's my smallest light with a clickie. Twisties are nice, but I think the clickie is just more convenient to use.

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at the Quark 123, moonlight runtime 15 days LOL... I like it, ALOT

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to recommend a Quark also, but with some money saving thinking. The Quark 123 Tactical with an R2 emitter is selling for $50.15. Now, all R2 Quarks currently come with a Prism kit, which can be sold for $10-15 (I sold mine for $16). Couple that with the CPF8 discount code during checkout, (8% off) and I think you've got an excellent light for a great price + free shipping depending on where you live. Of course you could always keep the Prism kit if you thought you would use it; it's still a $20 value.
Click here: http://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=297_365&products_id=2075

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the quarks. I have AA tactical, AA2 regular and Ti 123 regular. They are great little lights.

brh

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered a 1xCR2 format light? My pocket-carry is a Muyshondt Aeon, and it is tiny, wonderfully pocketable…*but has the power when I need it! The Aeon is likely a bit out of your price range, but there are two well-reviewed competitors out there now, physically similar - the NiteCore EZ CR2 and the Quark MiNi CR2. Disadvantages of course - an additional sort of battery to have around, CR2s are pricier/trickier to find, and a runtime hit… But I gotta say, I personally never looked back when it comes to CR2 for a light that is always with me…!

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out some eneloop AA Ni-mh cells, they aren't affected by the cold, and also do not lose charge in storage. Well, not much, a normal Ni-mh cell will lose over 30% charge if left for a month without use, and will be flat after a year, eneloops will still be on 85% if left for over a year. Thats just a suggestion.

You might want to check out the EZCR123, but the Quark Mini is a very good choice, just the lack of UK availability and so taxes are the problem, but 4sevens is a very good dealer.

I'd also check out the ITP A1 eos on flashaholics.co.uk, or shiningbeam.com if you want to save a little and dont need the light in the next couple of days, its performance is very nearly on par with the mini123's but for a price that fits snugly inder the £18 needed to incur UK import duties. ;)

Another line you might want to wait up a bit for is the Eagletac Personal Compact series, they should provide some great pocketable edc options as well..

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skip the Qmini AA. It's a nice light (I've got one and love it), but I would choose a single 123 light any day if given the choice.

123's are a little fatter and easier to hold.

If it were me (which it soon will be) I'd buy the Quark 123 Tactical. I've got the AA2 Tactical and it simply rocks.

4sevens has the Nitecore SR3 on sale at the moment. It's a great little pocket rocket with a cool UI. And it looks just SO tough!