e-bay reserve?

kev1-1

Enlightened
My girlfriend has just started using e-bay (note that their profits have also increased recently!!). I have noticed that some items have reserve prices on them. I have two questions about this:
1) If I were to bid $10 for an item, but find this does not meet the reserve price, so I then bid $30...how do I meet the reserve price when unless anyone else bids the bid will not go above $10?
2)Do sellers ever sell an item even if the auction ends below the reserve price?

Thanks for any advice!!

hawkhkg11

Enlightened
1. I think that if you bid above the reserve price, it automatically moves to the reserve price, regardless of other bidders. But I may be wrong, don't quote me on it.

2. It is up to a seller to choose whether he wants to sell an item if it does not meet the reserve.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
There is some way to raise the bid when you are the only bidder but I have not been able to do it. I have had one bidder bid several times and somehow it gets up to my reserve price. When I try to make multiple bids it only raises my proxy bid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I just thought of something!!! (rare) If you bid multiple times and you bid at or above the reserve price it might go up to the reserve price, who knows? What hawk said was my guess, darn too slow again.

Sometimes sellers will sell even though the reserve was not met and do it at a negotiated price after the auction or send a second chance offer via e-bay. If nobody wins then send a message to the seller asking what it takes to buy the item. If it's a new seller ask them to send you a second chance offer at the agreed to price. It's not much of a protection but doesn't hurt.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Thanks dieselDave & hawkhkg11 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll give it a try!

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
If it's a new seller ask them to send you a second chance offer at the agreed to price. It's not much of a protection but doesn't hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

eBay considers a Second Chance Offer to be a full-fledged transaction. They take their cut and they also allow feedback.
Definitely worth it.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DieselDave said:
There is some way to raise the bid when you are the only bidder but I have not been able to do it. I have had one bidder bid several times and somehow it gets up to my reserve price. When I try to make multiple bids it only raises my proxy bid. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif . [/b]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to break the reserve price when bidding by yourself or all it does is up your proxy bid.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif