need help with firefox

ozner1991

Enlightened
im a nerdy person so normally i could figure this out on my own but this situation is beyond me.
heres the deal. i just accidentally leaned on the left side of my keyboard around the shift and control key and it apparently was some command. now all the letters in firefox are tiiiiiiny and im having the biggest trouble reading stuff. i looked at my settings in firefox and the page settings are still on 'arial' and size 17.
does anyone know how to fix un do this and get my regular size letters back?
i tried tweaking the settings i mentioned but with no success.

does anyone know what button combination i hit or any other way to undo this?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hold down control button while turning the mouse wheel to change size.
This is common in many Windows applications for adjusting the size, btw.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Press ctrl, roll your mouse scroll wheel. Not sure how to do it if you only have two buttons and no scroll wheel.
*edit* doh too slow.

ozner1991

Enlightened
thanks for the suggestion but that didnt seem to be the the thing that happened that sized down just the lettering. its not the entire page just the lettering on most sites

i have no clue what on earth i did.

samwise

Newly Enlightened
You can use + or - on the keyboard instead of the scroll wheel if you dont have one.

ozner1991

Enlightened
no its not the zooming in and out of the page

the stuff in flash windows are still normal its the HTML stuff that changed

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I know of is Ctrl-'+' (plus-key) and Ctrl-'-' (minus-key) for changing the font size (Command key instead of Ctrl for Macs). Firefox DOES remember this setting for INDIVIDUAL webpages. It's font size only, not zooming of the whole page. Ctrl-'0' (zero) is for returning to standard size.

ozner1991

Enlightened
tried that but no cigar

it affected all the webpages i visit and only the HTML stuff. not the flash imbedded items, its not a zooming issue but thanks for the suggestion

csa

Enlightened
Flash doesn't zoom the way the rest of it does.

As the others have said, use CTRL + 0 and uncheck the "zoom text only".

lunchboxtheman

Newly Enlightened
I looked through the Firefox keyboard shortcuts here and didn't see anything about changing font size other than zooming. Furthermore, I didn't see anything that had keys on the left hand side of the keyboard.

Maybe it's a windows/Mac shortcut you did instead?

Something else to check, go to Tools -> options -> content and make sure the font settings all look correct. Hope you get it figured out.

ozner1991

Enlightened
i tried it but it doesnt seem to undo the smaller letters.

texts and picture sizes are no longer balanced, theyre now cut off halfway with some sites. text disappearing in pictures, that kind of stuff

thanks for that link but i couldnt find it either

theres one key on the left side that isnt normally there on regular keyboards because this is a laptop but its a key that changes the action of some keys when pressed and held (like turning the F1 F2 keys into stop and pause when using media players) but theres nothing near that area that could be affected by it.

still thanks for everyone trying to help me

if all else fails im going to uninstall and re install it maybe that works

JCD

Enlightened
In Mac OS X:
1. Quit Firefox
2. In Finder, go to ~/Library/Preferences (~ represents your home folder, whatever your short name might be.)
3. Find the following file: org.mozilla.firefox.plist.
4. Move (don't copy) it to your desktop.
5. Restart Firefox. It will now be in its default configuration.

In Windows:
1. Reinstall operating system.
2. Reinstall all of your applications.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried restarting Windows? After managing 100 machines, some of the most inexplicable problems go away just by rebooting.

Illum

Flashaholic
Have you tried restarting Windows? After managing 100 machines, some of the most inexplicable problems go away just by rebooting.

it might not work if the firefox settings was made to "remember" the past settings before you closed it down:ohgeez:
I recently had a bad case of "sticky keys" and "Windows Narrator" and restarting the first time didn't do any good:mad:

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
An idea:

Click the Tools tab, then select Options. Go to the Content button. You should see Fonts and Colors about halfway on the options box. You can change the default font size there.

Sorry, I now see you already tried this. *slaps head*

Last edited:

alantch

Enlightened
Try this :

Exit Firefox
In Start / Run ... type 'firefox -safe-mode'
Select 'Reset all user preferences ...'
Select 'Make changes and restart'

HTH.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try using "System Restore" to reset things the way they were a couple days before your accident ?

Do you have any Add On's/Extensions in Firefox that control Font/text size or zooming. They sometimes have shortcut key assignments. Disable any Add on that might be causing it ....... as a process of elimination to find which one is causing it.

Reinstalling everything to clear it is a little Extreme ... slow down and think .

Last edited:

ozner1991

Enlightened
@ alantch
tried it but it didnt work

@ JohnR66

i tried rebooting several times. but Illum's suggestion made me think. i tried using a program used CCleaner to clear out any preferences that could have been saved and rebooted again. its still the same

i also posted this problem on a firefox help forum so maybe they know an answer

@ TooManyGizmos
i think thats what im going to try next since nothing else seemed to help

update
'system recovery failed' that didnt work either. was unable to restore to an previous point.

Last edited: