Yet another 'what should I buy' thread - pocket-able flashlight

Lommelygte

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

First post - but I've been browsing the forums for some time.

I'm going to buy a new flashlight, and I would really appreciate your input.

Background: Noob!

Just to show you I'm a total noob, here's why I would like a new flashlight:

For years I've had an old Maglight AA I use for everything from finding the right place to plug things into, on the back of my computer, to carrying in my pocket when I go for a walk, just in case.

I've also had a Maglight 4C for years, that I keep by the fuse box, and use almost daily (for looking for stuff on the attic etc).

I like the build of the Maglights, so a few weeks ago, I got my hands on an brand new Maglight 4D LED, primarily to avoid having to buy new batteries all that often.

But it made me realize how much more (and better) light the LED gives.

I've since taken the LED from the 4D and switched it to my 4C, since the 4D is too big to stand on top of the fuse box.

And now I just hate the miserable light from my AA. I've considered buying a Maglight AA LED, but I know I won't be happy with it - I want something better! :candle:

Here is what I'm looking for

• LED of some sort
  • Pocket-able. Length like the Maglight AA or shorter
  • Build quality at least like a Maglight (metal!)
  • Power preferable like A Maglight (122 lumens?) , on highest setting (I can live with more :grin2:)
  • At least 3 power settings
  • Power switch on end cap
  • Something I can buy in the EU
  • Price range around 100 Euro
  • Known brand (even if I don't know many brands, but if you tell me it's a known, reputable brand, I'll trust you).
I would also like, if possible:

• AA batteries over [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]CR123 (but not a must - I might even prefer say 4 AAA over CR123)
    [/FONT]
  • 1 hour runtime on full power (but I'll settle for a little less for a light that runs on AA :eek:)
  • Ability to stand on end cap
  • Something that can't roll onto the floor
  • Textured (orange peel?) reflector (or whatever gives me a more even distribution of light, and a less harsh transition from the hotspot in the middle of the light, to the 'wide' light).
I've probably explained at especially the last bullet all wrong :ohgeez:. When you've stopped laughing, please ask me if I mean this or that - thanks!

Not important to me (I think :thinking:):

• Variable beam spread (I'm not sure about the correct term here)
  • Programmable (If I just have some different power settings), SOS and stuff
  • Pocket clip
Here's what I've been considering:

Should also give you an idea of what I'm looking for, in terms of looks

• Fenix LD10 Premium Q5 (but the I have to wait until the end of may)
  • Surefire 6P LED (but only 80 lumens on two 123As?)

As you can see, I prefer the head of the flash light to be bigger than the barrel.

Any input greatly appreciated.

And thank you for a great forum (and the users is the biggest part of that) lovecpf

Rob, Denmark

OCD

Enlightened
Check out the Quarks from 4Sevens. They have several lights that would fit you requirements.

They also have the ability to be "lego'd" which means you can buy one light, say 2xAA light and buy a 1xAA and 1xCR123 body and have the option of using several different types of batteries.

umc

Enlightened
My first thought was Quark also, they fit your requirements and are great lights.

I have a few and have plans to pickup a few more just because I like them so much.

Uggg, this darn sickness.:)

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
I don't own and hav enever used this light myself, but it sounds like you might enjoy an LED Lenser of some sort, like the P5 (using 1XAA) or P7 (using 4XAAA). They have many other lights too. They have focus on them and sound like they're very nice lights.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should do a little browsing of the main brands and see what catches your eye, alot of lights will fit your requirements. Check out fenix, quark, lumapower, eagletac,olight, nitecore for starters. They all have good 2xAA options that should meet your needs.

https://fenix-store.com/
https://www.4sevens.com/
http://www.batteryjunction.com/

check out this thread, 2xAA Round Up Review:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214890

I wonder if that thread should be stickied, this question seems to come up pretty often.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
After reading through your list of requirements I'd say a Quark AA, and if you order it soon you can get in on the warm tint version that is available right now.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that you said that you preferred "power switch on end cap" , but have a look at the iTP A2 ... It has three modes , low is 1.5 lumens (60 hours) , medium is 18 lumens (7 hours) and high is 80 lumens (2 hours) ... It is only 75.5mm long and 17.5mm diameter and weighs 22 grams ... It comes with a pocket clip and that stops it rolling off the table ... It has a key clip attatched though this means it will not stand on end ... It gets very good reviews on CPF.

The end cap can be machined to remove the fixing for the key-ring (to tailstand) and you can also get this torch in stainless steel ... There is also the A3 which takes a AAA battery plus the A1 which uses the 123 size cell.

A really nice EDC torch and for checking the fuse-box the low mode would be ideal ... 60 hours on low using one AA should be OK.

tygger

Enlightened
Hello Rob, welcome to CPF. I would also recommend a 4sevens Quark series. Either AA or 2AA. As someone mentioned for a limited time you can choose a warm version if you prefer a beam that is simliar to incandescents. The Quark MiNi is also a nice light. Its a twist on/off, not a clicky, but is very compact. I EDC a MiNi AA and barely notice it in my pocket. Good luck.

Lommelygte

Newly Enlightened
Thank you so much for all your replies - that was fast lovecpf

@OCD, umc, kaichu dento, tygger:

I'll take a closer look at the Quarks from 4Sevens, but at first glace i don't like the look of them. And it doesn't seem like I can buy them in the EU (importing them to Denmark from the US will cost me a lot in tax :banghead:).

@mrcandyman:

It seems to me, that the LED Lensers are one of the brands that's not normally recommended her on CPF, or have I gotten that all wrong?

@sol-leks:

Thank you for your listing of brands. I'll try to google those. Any particular models I should look at?

@hazna:

As I wrote: Around 100 Euro. And I would prefer a 1*AA, but a 2*AA that's 15 cm or shorter will be ok.

@march.brown:

I think the iTP A2 it too small. The A3 too. I would like something with a little bigger head.

Thanks again to all of you :grin2:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy a Quark!

You buy one, use it, and then buy another one, and use it. Before you know it you buy a few more, and use them. Then you have a whole bunch and want more. Forget the fact they are awesome. Forget the fact they are well priced and don't even consider (like I am) getting a 14500 li-ion for your mini AA that will make it pump out 320 lumens (for brief moments of course).

Don't buy a Quark!

etherealshade

Enlightened
You can buy Quarks from within the EU; 4sevens has a store in Poland ( 4sevens.pl ). That way you should be able to avoid the import taxes and duties.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
There is a webshop in Sweden that sells Quarks, www.flashlights.se

If you order from the US and have to pay tax + customfee and compare that to ordering from EU and you don't pay any extra then that makes 1$ = 1EUR, approx. The Brittish pound isn't that more expensive either so if you are considering for instance EagleTac it might be worth it to check UK webshops as well. PTS wanted more than $30 just for shipping to Sweden and from UK to Sweden it cost £4. So the total cost in that case was in favor for the UK shop.
I think it's best to check the alternatives for every purchase. If you buy a less expensive flashlight, the Quark mini < $40 incl shipping it might pass through without tax/custom fee.
Sometimes it can also be worth a couple of extra dollars to buy from your own country to get a quick delivery when you don't have the patience to wait...

hazna

Enlightened
Try this thread if you are after AA lights. Note there are probably some more AA lights released since the review.

Personally if I was looking at a AA at the moment, I'd be consider the Quark AA with an additional 2AA body. That way if you need higher lumens or runtime, you have the option of going 2AA.

I have recently acquired the zebralight sc50, which I am happy with. It is relatively small for a AA light. You mention in your original post you prefer to switch to be at the end of the light. On the SC50 it is on the side of the light, but I'm finding it great having the switch on the side. Easier to turn on and off.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Quarks from 4Sevens. They have several lights that would fit you requirements.
Agree. I recommend the Quark MiNi AA as the most pocketable AA light in the Quark line-up. It's so small and light weight that I'm never without it. I slip it in a pocket and can't even tell it's there. The MiNi's also have the best interface, as far as I'm concerned, because the special modes like strobe and SOS are "hidden" and won't get in your way during normal operation.

Last edited:

Batou00159

Enlightened
Nightcore D10 r2 seem to fit most except you would need the clip to stop it rollong to the floor:poof:

Lommelygte

Newly Enlightened
Just to say thanks for your kind help once again, and to let you know that I've ordered a Jetbeam Jet-I Pro V3.0 from the UK yesterday - it should arrive in Denmark this week.

I know it isn't one of the models (or even brands) you suggested, but I like the looks, size and performance, and this tread convinced me that this light was the right one for me :twothumbs.

Thanks again - I can't wait to get my hands on my new flashlight.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Nice to hear!
I ordered an EagleTac P20C2 from UK two weeks ago but they didn't have the neutral white dropin I wanted in stock. It came in on friday 30/4 and I am playing with my new light right now (monday). That is fast shipping!
I don't think you will have to wait very long.

Gunnar

Lommelygte

Newly Enlightened
I didn't have to wait very long! :twothumbs

The JetBeam I ordered on Sunday arrived Thursday.

I can't believe how great this light is, especially compared to its small size. I'll be using it on like 40% half the time and even on it's lowest setting a lot of the rest of the time. But it's nice to have access to the full power :twothumbs.

The box it came in was broken, but I've contacted Flashaholcis.co.uk, and they've promised to send me a replacement box (luckily, the flashlight itself was not damaged or scratched in any way).

And now I somehow have the the urge to own more flashlights. But I guess that's just me?:anyone: