Can a landlord report on your credit history?

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to have a bit of a problem. I am proud of the fact that I don't owe anybody one single cent, on the other hand I have no credit score. No bad credit, no good credit, nothing. Because of this nobody will give me credit unless it's got some ridiculous fees and interest rates.

That said, I do pay a lot of money in rent each month to my landlord. ALWAYS on time and often early. I also pay my phone bill, internet bill, cable bill, trash bill, electric bill, etc...good lord I have too many bills! None of this shows up on my credit score, so none of it matters...and they don't care what so ever how much money I make. :rolleyes:

Is there any way my landlord can report GOOD things about my credit to the credit agencies? I'm sure if I didn't pay my rent I would get bad credit, right? So, shouldn't that work in reverse?

NB68

Newly Enlightened
You pretty much have to have some sort of revolving credit line to get a good credit history showing. You can get a credit card almost anywhere these days. Even if it only has a $500 limit at first, go apply for a couple and use them regularly. Pay them off every few months though and do not abuse it and you get a good credit rating eventually.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any way my landlord can report GOOD things about my credit to the credit agencies? I'm sure if I didn't pay my rent I would get bad credit, right? So, shouldn't that work in reverse?
no...

keeftea

Newly Enlightened

Correct essentially, for example in nyc they use a landord- tenant search in some buildings. Depends on the management company. Which if you have a long history might get you denied on the next rental apt. You can't gain credit if you don't have any secured or unsecured debt. Only way to substantiate your payment record is to ask him/ or the mangement company for letter stating you pay rent on time and in full. But that won't boost fico. There is a formula to figure your fico like 35% payment history, 10% how long you have had credit, available credit 35% etc. Each credit co is slightly different ratios thus the different score.

As the poster above said get a card and use it and pay on time. Your fico will go up soon. Hope this helps.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything here is pretty much on target. You might have to get a secured credit card...also I would suggest setting up an automatic payment to your card...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
The key word here is history. In the same way that a diploma proves you can sit on your @$$ for years at a time and do as your told, your credit score shows you can manage the value received and the value replaced. Time and consistency.

Buy a new car and sell the old one. Down-payment a chunk, and 60 month the rest with automatic payments from the amount left over. $100-200/mo every month for 5 years will show a lot. Prove to the system that the system can trust you.

amsgator

Newly Enlightened
yes and no. your report typically says whether you were delinquent or not. if you weren't its a good thing. good luck getting a lease without credit history already

Joe Hone

Newly Enlightened
You come across as disciplined with your money, given that you have no debt. The best way to develop you credit score is to get a card, and then pay your utility, insurance, gas, grocery bills with it. Most (not all) service providers allow you to pay via credit card online, and since you're spending that money on bills anyway, you might as well create a credit history with it.

Looking at my own monthly expenses, the gas co, city utility (water/trash), and cell phone companies all allow credit card payments online without an extra fee. However, my car insurance and home phone/internet don't, so I still pay those by check.

The alternative is direct pay, but that comes straight out of your checking account and does not add to your credit history. Hope this helps.

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...thanks for the input everyone.

You can get a credit card almost anywhere these days.
This is the problem. And this is what's really making me mad. I know people that have a TERRIBLE credit history, including bankruptcies, and they still can get credit cards. Drives me insane.

Me, on the other hand, NOBODY will give me a card. I've applied for many. They all come back with "You have no credit? Screw you!" Even if it has a $100 limit. Even at the bank where I've had an account in good standing for the last 8 years. (since I was 16) I try to explain that I have a good job and how much money I make, and they don't want to hear it, I could make a million a year for all they care.

I almost feel like I should stop paying the rent so at least SOMETHING shows up! :rolleyes: The only reason I got the lease for the property I'm at now is because I talked the landlord into skipping the credit check, telling her there is nothing to find. (and giving her a sizeable deposit)

And, even though it's entirely unrelated, I have to worry about my credit score effecting my insurance costs, future jobs, future property, whatever. *sigh*

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you stop paying rent the most likely thing to show up will be your eviction notice...lol. Again...look into a secured card ;)

nobody

Newly Enlightened
If you have been paying your bills through an account at a bank (like a checking account) and your bank account record is not full of NSF, overdrafts, etc., the bank should be able to set you up with a no annual fee CC either through themselves or a parent corp. If you are issued a CC, then you should definitely use it and keep up with payments.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep trying. Kids who just graduated high school get credit card applications in the mail all the time, so you definitely have a chance.

fishinfool

Enlightened
Hmmm...thanks for the input everyone.

This is the problem. And this is what's really making me mad. I know people that have a TERRIBLE credit history, including bankruptcies, and they still can get credit cards. Drives me insane.

Me, on the other hand, NOBODY will give me a card. I've applied for many. They all come back with "You have no credit? Screw you!" Even if it has a $100 limit. Even at the bank where I've had an account in good standing for the last 8 years. (since I was 16) I try to explain that I have a good job and how much money I make, and they don't want to hear it, I could make a million a year for all they care.

I almost feel like I should stop paying the rent so at least SOMETHING shows up! :rolleyes: The only reason I got the lease for the property I'm at now is because I talked the landlord into skipping the credit check, telling her there is nothing to find. (and giving her a sizeable deposit)

And, even though it's entirely unrelated, I have to worry about my credit score effecting my insurance costs, future jobs, future property, whatever. *sigh*

Three words: department store credit.

When I first started out, I applied to several visas, several mastercards, and even american express and nothing happened for months. So I was in SEARS one day and applied just for the halibut and "BOOM", a $2000 Sears card. Next day went to JCPenneys and got another card.

So keep trying the department stores because as soon as you get your first credit card, you'll start getting applications in the mail by the dozens. You will then be able to pick and choose the credit cards you want. :grin2:

Also, since you are just starting out, it's better to just pay the minimum each month (since you are trying to create a CREDIT HISTORY) but make sure you PAY ON TIME or early. If you miss just ONE payment then all that hard work is down the drain. I would know. :(

Good luck!

stephanief

Newly Enlightened
YES a landlord can report. but it will cost them money one way or another and it can be a pain. depends if they are willing to do it for you as well as spend the money to do it. use to be pretty simple about 20 years ago. now they have to meet certain requirements and have a membership.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I disagree w/ the posters advising you to make minimum payments on your credit card, or carry a balance at all. Pay it off in full every month. It will still be reported as credit in good standing, and you won't pay interest.

Look into a card with rewards or cash back. I run all the money I can through such a credit card. I've not paid a single penny in interest because I pay in full every couple of weeks, but have received a couple thousand dollars because of the rewards points.