Just Started My Addiction...

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

Well, I just started my addiction.

Yesterday was my girlfriend gave me a Fenix E01. She was like "wow I cant believe I spent so much on this tiny little flashlight". Then I compared it with my 2aa mini maglight to show her that it was about the same brightness with a much longer runtime and a much smaller size. She was impressed.

Now I have to get a real 2aa flashlight LOL.

Since I do not have any lithiums, alkalines in an E01 should be ok for now right?

And man! The Fenix E01 seems like one tough tough little flashlight that will last forever I hope :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading!!:)

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Alkalines should be fine.

Just don't store the light for a really long time with alkalines in it as they occasionally tend to leak. As long as you glance at the battery every couple of weeks it will be fine.

Welcome to your new and pleasant addiction; and that little wimpering sound coming from your pocket is your wallet cringing in fear at the thought of what you'll find next.:sweat:

Don't worry. you'll get used to it.:twothumbs

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Now besides studying up on all the flashlight reviews, beamshots, runtimes etc on this site, you'll want to occasionally check out the marketplace for bargains! :hitit:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=123

:thumbsup:

You know I am starting to realize that the marketplace is kind of like the world economy on a small scale. All of the buying and selling is done by only 10% of members there. :laughing:

Seriously, if you can be in front of the computer at least 65% of the day you will get some great deals on the Marketplace. It's my home away from home. Make alliances there and the flashlight collecting possibilities will only be limited by your wallet.

Also, check out the Custom and Modified B/S/T here if you want to find unique one off pieces that will cost you at least a weeks salary: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Most important of all, HAVE FUN :twothumbs

pmek5

Newly Enlightened
Yea - key word "addiction". I just purchased my first "real" flashlight - Ra Clicky", but I find myself starting look again already.

I think Homer Simpson would say it best - "I'm only going to get one...I'm only going to get one - D'oh!

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In short order your addiction will progress until your body craves ever more refined lights. You'll lose motor control and your hands will start to shake as you wait for the mailman with the latest emitter, and you'll hide from the world in small, dark rooms while fondling a polished brass light. You will shine these beauties into your eyes so often that policemen will ask, "are you on drugs?" when observing your pupils.

But it's fun!

notsofast

Enlightened
You have been a member of the forum for 48 months and it took your girl friend and a fenix to bring you down.

Wait until you get an RA, Surefire or custom light. She is going to have to get a second job. lol

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
You have been a member of the forum for 48 months and it took your girl friend and a fenix to bring you down.

Wait until you get an RA, Surefire or custom light. She is going to have to get a second job. lol

Yah haha. I guess I am very indecisive on my lights and go through phases on whether I should spend my hard earned cash on them LOL.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah! You gonna be broke man.

Lights I've purchased this year: Fenix TK40, TK20, E20.
Nitrcore EX10 SP, SR3.
Quark Tactical 2AA, Mini AA.

There's plans for a few more this year, but I need approval from the finance director (wife).

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
money comes and money goes. if you dont spend it on one thing, you will spend it on another.

and since your girlfriend got you start you have an excuse for life!:devil:

alkalines are ok for me, anything over $30 i put an energizer lithium in. if you think about it, the lithiums are expensive, but runtimes are about 4-5 times of an alkaline, without worrying about it leaking, and that is the main pay off.

im very indecisive or picky about the lights i buy too, i usually do as much research as possible for at least 2 weeks until i realize i wont stop until i have it in my hands, and then think about what i want next.

consider eneloops or duraloops rechargables for your AA lights.

some lights you should check out for your next 2xAA...... quark, fenix, eagletac, jetbeam, dereelight javelin.

and for a megalight, the fenix tk40 which uses 8x or 4x AA cells.

also, i love my zebralight H501w which uses 1xAA.

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
Well, at least you can always blame her, instead of having your wallet cursing you for stumbling on CPF.

Once you get a taste of the real good stuff, you will be finding things not to spend money on to save up for lights. Just accept it and it will make it all much, much easier.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help guys!

I was just wondering, when i turn off my e01 like untwist it, if i dont untwist it far enough, and i press the head of the light in, the flashlight will emit some light when i press the head even in the "off" position. But, if i untwist far enough, it wont do this.

Is this normal?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just wondering, when i turn off my e01 like untwist it, if i dont untwist it far enough, and i press the head of the light in, the flashlight will emit some light when i press the head even in the "off" position. But, if i untwist far enough, it wont do this.

Is this normal?

We call this thread play and you can even use it as a feature, I often do with tactical lights, like TK10, TK11, TK20. You can set the head on low, just below the point where high engages. Then, with a little tearing or pressing the head down, you'll have momentary high.

There are no threads in the world without play, threads would be blocked, but some lights have more, some have less of it. My king is one of the Quark MiNis I suppose, lots of them had huge thread play. If you carry the light in a pocket, just make sure you turn it off to get behind the point where it turn on. I once had a D10 in my pocket, each time I kneeled down it shun through my pants, maybe funny, but if it turn on and not off again, you'll get fried eggs! :crackup:

Have fun with your lights, I hope you'll be able to control the addiction, I can't, my savings are gone and I can provide lights for half of my home village if we have a power outrage at night. A few days ago, having lunch with my father in town, he said "It would be time you stop with these lights!". I replied "Yeah, you're right..." He reminded me about former collections I had (and have, but don't continue anymore), keyholders, Swatches, miniature cars, winebottles and so on. He has no clue how big my collection really has become, even if he passed the showcase most a are lying and standing in last week, he didn't have a look. That'll be funny, when he discovers them, he'll say something like "you're really crazy..." and I'll reply "... don't tell me it took you nearly 40 years to realize!". I'm no kid anymore, I just behave like one! For your parents, you'll always stay their kid, so what's wrong in behaving that way! :nana:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this normal?

i think its normal, my nitecore d10, quark mini 123, and itp A3 all do the same thing, i see it as momentary mode. although once my D10 was on the entire time in my pocket because it was pressed against my wallet and drained the battery. so now i loosen it enough for that not to happen again.

rydude07

Newly Enlightened
Update as of May 27th:

I just got my second flashlight! It is the fenix ld20 q5 for $40 shipped!

I just have some questions though.

1)If i tap with my fingers like the skinny part of the light with my fingers or hand (like if holding in the cigar hold, the part that my second or third finger is holding) or anywhere near the tail end of the light, i can hear i dont know if its the battery but something sort of rattle.

2) if i hold the light between two fingers and shake horizontally from left to right, and occasionally vertically from up to down especially with the head facing upwards toward the ceiling, i hear it rattle.

is this all normal? Or am i being paranoid?

I checked the serial number and it has been checked one other time before I did.

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have that particular light, but battery rattle is relatively common and nothing you should necessarily be concerned about.

EDIT: Some people have found wrapping a post it around the battery can help dampen the sound.