Acebeam        

Thread: Just Started My Addiction...

Default Just Started My Addiction...

Hey guys!

Well, I just started my addiction.

Yesterday was my girlfriend gave me a Fenix E01. She was like "wow I cant believe I spent so much on this tiny little flashlight". Then I compared it with my 2aa mini maglight to show her that it was about the same brightness with a much longer runtime and a much smaller size. She was impressed.

Now I have to get a real 2aa flashlight LOL.

Since I do not have any lithiums, alkalines in an E01 should be ok for now right?

And man! The Fenix E01 seems like one tough tough little flashlight that will last forever I hope

Thanks for reading!!

Default Re: Just Started My Addiction...

welcome to the addiction! Have fun.
    Here is a thread on 2xAA lights that might help begin your search.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=214890

Alkalines should be fine.

Just don't store the light for a really long time with alkalines in it as they occasionally tend to leak. As long as you glance at the battery every couple of weeks it will be fine.

Welcome to your new and pleasant addiction; and that little wimpering sound coming from your pocket is your wallet cringing in fear at the thought of what you'll find next.

Don't worry. you'll get used to it.

Good luck dude! Kiss your paycheck goodbye. Lol.

Welcome aboard

Now besides studying up on all the flashlight reviews, beamshots, runtimes etc on this site, you'll want to occasionally check out the marketplace for bargains!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=123

Flashaholic*

You poor thing...

Quote Originally Posted by pwatcher View Post
    Welcome aboard

Now besides studying up on all the flashlight reviews, beamshots, runtimes etc on this site, you'll want to occasionally check out the marketplace for bargains!

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/forumdisplay.php?f=123

You know I am starting to realize that the marketplace is kind of like the world economy on a small scale. All of the buying and selling is done by only 10% of members there.

Seriously, if you can be in front of the computer at least 65% of the day you will get some great deals on the Marketplace. It's my home away from home. Make alliances there and the flashlight collecting possibilities will only be limited by your wallet.

Also, check out the Custom and Modified B/S/T here if you want to find unique one off pieces that will cost you at least a weeks salary: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...splay.php?f=40

Most important of all, HAVE FUN

Yea - key word "addiction". I just purchased my first "real" flashlight - Ra Clicky", but I find myself starting look again already.

I think Homer Simpson would say it best - "I'm only going to get one...I'm only going to get one - D'oh!

Just remember that your not alone.

Flashaholic*

In short order your addiction will progress until your body craves ever more refined lights. You'll lose motor control and your hands will start to shake as you wait for the mailman with the latest emitter, and you'll hide from the world in small, dark rooms while fondling a polished brass light. You will shine these beauties into your eyes so often that policemen will ask, "are you on drugs?" when observing your pupils.

But it's fun!
    Peakaholic!

You have been a member of the forum for 48 months and it took your girl friend and a fenix to bring you down.

Wait until you get an RA, Surefire or custom light. She is going to have to get a second job. lol

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    You have been a member of the forum for 48 months and it took your girl friend and a fenix to bring you down.

Wait until you get an RA, Surefire or custom light. She is going to have to get a second job. lol
    Yah haha. I guess I am very indecisive on my lights and go through phases on whether I should spend my hard earned cash on them LOL.

Yeah! You gonna be broke man.

Lights I've purchased this year: Fenix TK40, TK20, E20.
    Nitrcore EX10 SP, SR3.
    Quark Tactical 2AA, Mini AA.

There's plans for a few more this year, but I need approval from the finance director (wife).
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

money comes and money goes. if you dont spend it on one thing, you will spend it on another.

and since your girlfriend got you start you have an excuse for life!

alkalines are ok for me, anything over $30 i put an energizer lithium in. if you think about it, the lithiums are expensive, but runtimes are about 4-5 times of an alkaline, without worrying about it leaking, and that is the main pay off.

im very indecisive or picky about the lights i buy too, i usually do as much research as possible for at least 2 weeks until i realize i wont stop until i have it in my hands, and then think about what i want next.

consider eneloops or duraloops rechargables for your AA lights.

some lights you should check out for your next 2xAA...... quark, fenix, eagletac, jetbeam, dereelight javelin.

and for a megalight, the fenix tk40 which uses 8x or 4x AA cells.

also, i love my zebralight H501w which uses 1xAA.

Well, at least you can always blame her, instead of having your wallet cursing you for stumbling on CPF.

Once you get a taste of the real good stuff, you will be finding things not to spend money on to save up for lights. Just accept it and it will make it all much, much easier.
    When I'm not on CPF, I'm at... EDCforums.com
    I <3 Bark River.

Thanks for all your help guys!

I was just wondering, when i turn off my e01 like untwist it, if i dont untwist it far enough, and i press the head of the light in, the flashlight will emit some light when i press the head even in the "off" position. But, if i untwist far enough, it wont do this.

Is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by rydude07 View Post

I was just wondering, when i turn off my e01 like untwist it, if i dont untwist it far enough, and i press the head of the light in, the flashlight will emit some light when i press the head even in the "off" position. But, if i untwist far enough, it wont do this.

Is this normal?
    We call this thread play and you can even use it as a feature, I often do with tactical lights, like TK10, TK11, TK20. You can set the head on low, just below the point where high engages. Then, with a little tearing or pressing the head down, you'll have momentary high.

There are no threads in the world without play, threads would be blocked, but some lights have more, some have less of it. My king is one of the Quark MiNis I suppose, lots of them had huge thread play. If you carry the light in a pocket, just make sure you turn it off to get behind the point where it turn on. I once had a D10 in my pocket, each time I kneeled down it shun through my pants, maybe funny, but if it turn on and not off again, you'll get fried eggs!

Have fun with your lights, I hope you'll be able to control the addiction, I can't, my savings are gone and I can provide lights for half of my home village if we have a power outrage at night. A few days ago, having lunch with my father in town, he said "It would be time you stop with these lights!". I replied "Yeah, you're right..." He reminded me about former collections I had (and have, but don't continue anymore), keyholders, Swatches, miniature cars, winebottles and so on. He has no clue how big my collection really has become, even if he passed the showcase most a are lying and standing in last week, he didn't have a look. That'll be funny, when he discovers them, he'll say something like "you're really crazy..." and I'll reply "... don't tell me it took you nearly 40 years to realize!". I'm no kid anymore, I just behave like one! For your parents, you'll always stay their kid, so what's wrong in behaving that way!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Is this normal?

i think its normal, my nitecore d10, quark mini 123, and itp A3 all do the same thing, i see it as momentary mode. although once my D10 was on the entire time in my pocket because it was pressed against my wallet and drained the battery. so now i loosen it enough for that not to happen again.

Update as of May 27th:

I just got my second flashlight! It is the fenix ld20 q5 for $40 shipped!

I just have some questions though.

1)If i tap with my fingers like the skinny part of the light with my fingers or hand (like if holding in the cigar hold, the part that my second or third finger is holding) or anywhere near the tail end of the light, i can hear i dont know if its the battery but something sort of rattle.

2) if i hold the light between two fingers and shake horizontally from left to right, and occasionally vertically from up to down especially with the head facing upwards toward the ceiling, i hear it rattle.

is this all normal? Or am i being paranoid?

I checked the serial number and it has been checked one other time before I did.

I don't have that particular light, but battery rattle is relatively common and nothing you should necessarily be concerned about.

EDIT: Some people have found wrapping a post it around the battery can help dampen the sound.

So it happens do the quark aa2 and other 2AA flashlights as well?

Its just everytime i hold on to the light or tap it, especially down the tail cap, i hear the rattle.

My 4sevens Preon II (2xaaa) rattled in the same way you describe. Some high quality lights won't have a rattle, or if so it will be very slight. If I try I can get the batteries in my Surefires to rattle a little.

Update as of May 27th:

I just got my second flashlight! It is the fenix ld20 q5 for $40 shipped!

I just have some questions though.

1)If i tap with my fingers like the skinny part of the light with my fingers or hand (like if holding in the cigar hold, the part that my second or third finger is holding) or anywhere near the tail end of the light, i can hear i dont know if its the battery but something sort of rattle.

2) if i hold the light between two fingers and shake horizontally from left to right, and occasionally vertically from up to down especially with the head facing upwards toward the ceiling, i hear it rattle.

is this all normal? Or am i being paranoid?

I checked the serial number and it has been checked one other time before I did.

Have you tried removing the batteries and closing it up and shaking it to see if the rattle is still there? None of my Fenix flashlights rattle. My Surefire does.

Gee after all this time, you finally get a Fenix E01

I wish I had your extreme level of self control!!!!

James....

I took the battteries out and when i tap the tail end, the sound is gone.

So it is only when the batteries are in and I tap the light....

1)When you guys say toss your ld20 like a couple inches in the air from the hand and then catch it, do you hear the battery rattle a little on the inside ( like a hollow type of sound)

2)If i vigorously shake it from left to right with the light in a vertical position, i hear the batteries shake ever so slightly.

3)Also, to hear the rattling, i have to hold it up to my ear. Is the rattle problems usually louder where you dont have to put the flashlight to your ear?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!!
    Last edited by rydude07; 05-27-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Happens with everyone of my lights. The battery compresses the spring and slams against the side/contact when airborne. The spring isnt designed to take that much acceleration.

I wouldnt worry about it, its probably just the tolerances to which your light was built. probably an extra 0.5mm or so on each side. Nothing is ever exact, everything is built with a % error.
    Last edited by red02; 05-27-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Keep in mind that not all AA's are exactly the same size. It could be the brand you have runs a little smaller than normal which would mean more space to rattle. I've got rayovac platinum NIMH's in my LD20 and I could tell putting them in they were a fairly tight fit and I have absolutely no rattle. In any case, its not a problem and is a normal thing you run into with an awful lot of lights. If it bothers you that much, try a different brand of battery and see if it reduces it at all.

A few layers of tape would solve your problems without costing much. IMO medical tape is nice. Friction tape and duck tape might be too think.

Last edited by red02; 05-28-2010 at 10:08 PM.