Please educate me RE: bulbs

Ratso

Enlightened
Hi - I need a better understanding about bulbs, and volts / amps / watts. I hear that volts x amps = watts. I assume the higher the watts the brighter the light. Therefore to achieve the higher watt output, the higher the volts and amps the better. (however something isn't right about that, otherwise I would be using 4cell bulbs would burn brighter in my 2cell lights) So what am I missing.

Volts is voltage supplied, not the voltage rating of the bulb. So a bulb rated at 4.8 v would run most efficiently at 4.8 - ~6 volts. 2 cells only supply 2.4v not enough to drive the bulb.

Also I believe that the brightest bulbs are in the folowing order: Halogen, Xenon, Krypton, standard. Are there others? I've seen Zenon as well is this the same as Xenon just a different spelling?

The most common incandecant in high perfromance flashlights is Xenon-halogen. Basically a halogen bulb with a bit of Xenon gas added. Xenon bulbs are just a bit brighter than Halogen but typically don't last as long. Then comes krypton which is a good choice for cheap lights. I believe they last longer than xenon. And vacuum bulbs (practically extinct now), should never be used, because they give less than half the light for the same power and they darken and put out less light over time.

Zenon is Lumilite's trade name for Xenon-Halogen. (nothing special)

So if it's a flashlight that uses 4aa, 4c, 4d, or a 6v lantern battery, whatever combination to come up with 6volts, why don't you use a bulb thats rated at 6v? A KPR113 which is a common 6v lantern battery is rated at 4.8v / 0.75a. So are we basically overdriving this bulb already?

The bulb is overdriven, but within a safety margin. Alkaline batteries drop to about 1.2 volts after a bit of use. The voltage alkalines supply keeps dropping as they run down. So after maybe 15-20 minutes of use the bulb is no longer overdriven. It is not driven hard enough to drastically affect bulb life.

I've found that I can successfully overdrive a KPR103 (3.6v 0.75a) in a 6volt light. The 6v light calls for a KPR113 (4.8v 0.75a) the difference between the two bulbs is is 1.2amps.

Now why can't I overdrive a KPR102 (2.4v 0.70a) in a 3-cell light calling for a KPR103 (3.6v 0.75a)? The difference in volts is still only 1.2 volts, and there is only 0.05amp difference. Does the 0.05 amps really make a differnce? I would find that strange because I've run 6v lights on KPR802 (4.8v 0.5a) bulbs. The amps are much lower in this bulb.

The difference of overdriving a 3-cell bulb in a 4-cell application is dramatic, I would like to find a bulb combination to do the same in my two and 3 cell lights. Any suggestions? Or any suggestions for the best bulbs of 2 and 3 cell lights?

I actually overdrive PR bulb by a bulb rated 1 less cell myself. 4AA lights use KPR103 3.6v 0.75a. This cuts bulb life to less than half but PR bulbs are cheap so I can afford to do this. Any flashlight of mine that uses PR bulbs I overdrive by using a bulb rated for 1 less cell. Except for 2 cell lights, which I use an HPX21 Xenon 2.4v 0.8a. because I can't find any 1 cell PR bulbs.

Here are some suggestions:
2 cell: HPX21
3 cell: KPR 102, HPX21 or HPX20
4 cell: KPR 103, or HPX30
5 cell: KPR 113, or HPX41

They are all overdriven by about 1.5 volts, and you should not leave the light on for a long time or the reflector/lens may melt.

The amps does make a difference. I never use anything less than .7 in most stituations unless I am trying to power a light for a long time. I find that anything under .7 the bulb burns very yellow. The more amps is the shorter you can power the bulb, unlike volts which is the more cells there are the higher the volts.

A quick question about batts: alky aa, c, d batts are supposed to all put out 1.5 volts (give or take a bit). Do they all put out the same amps?

Amps is not put out, amps is the actualy juice which is drawn by the bulb. Batteries supply a certain # of amps per hour. If a bulb draws .75a, a 750mAh (milliAmps per Hour) battery can power it for one hour in theory. The capacity (mAh) of battery goes up with size: AAAA, AAA, AA, C, D, Lantern (4 F batteries in series). Thats why the bigger the battery the longer it lasts. However, the voltage of Alkalines drops as more amps are drawn, so a half used Alkaline battery probably supplies less than 1.2v.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ratso - Wow, now that's what I call a reply! Thanks. But I have to question something you said:

MY ORIGINAL QUESTION:
I've found that I can successfully overdrive a KPR103 (3.6v 0.75a) in a 6volt light. The 6v light calls for a KPR113 (4.8v 0.75a) the difference between the two bulbs is is 1.2amps.

Now why can't I overdrive a KPR102 (2.4v 0.70a) in a 3-cell light calling for a KPR103 (3.6v 0.75a)? The difference in volts is still only 1.2 volts, and there is only 0.05amp difference. Does the 0.05 amps really make a differnce? I would find that strange because I've run 6v lights on KPR802 (4.8v 0.5a) bulbs. The amps are much lower in this bulb.

YOUR REPLY:
I actually overdrive PR bulb by a bulb rated 1 less cell myself. 4AA lights use KPR103 3.6v 0.75a. This cuts bulb life to less than half but PR bulbs are cheap so I can afford to do this. Any flashlight of mine that uses PR bulbs I overdrive by using a bulb rated for 1 less cell. Except for 2 cell lights, which I use an HPX21 Xenon 2.4v 0.8a. because I can't find any 1 cell PR bulbs.

Here are some suggestions:
2 cell: HPX21
3 cell: KPR 102, HPX21 or HPX20
4 cell: KPR 103, or HPX30
5 cell: KPR 113, or HPX41

BACK TO ME:
Ok, i just blew up yet another KPR102. I know I did run a KPR102 in a 3cell light once, and it was super bright, but it died in short time, and then since then every bulb I've tried to overdrive in a 3cell has instantly blew out, including the one I just did. What's the trick, older weaker batts?

You suggest overdriving the KPR103 in 4cell, which I find works great, how about the XPR103 from Radio Shack any thoughts?

And who makes these HPX bulbs, Where can I get them?

And finally - so I was wrong. Xenon is brighter then Halogen? Who makes the best Xenon bulbs?

Thanks again for your help --

Ratso

Enlightened
Use the correct bulb and run the light for 10 or 15 minutes, maybe 30 minutes if its a D or Lantern battery. Then swap bulbs.

I find Krypton bulbs to be more stable than Xenon. It has less likely chance of blowing when you overdrive it, so I use KPR 103.

I believe HPX bulbs are made by Philips. The only place I ever got them was a 2D version at Walmart and a 4D (HPX41) from a Garrity Xenon flashlight also at Walmart.

A Xenon bulb is basically a halogen, but a bit more efficient. There is no real answer to who makes the best bulbs. Carley makes some pretty good bi-pins, as well as Welch Allyn. The best PR type Xenon bulbs in my opinion are the HPX kind. Carley Xenon Stars are pretty good but cost a lot and don't put out as nice beams.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
You may not find them in your area yet, but Mag has some Xenon bulbs now.

I WILL NOT under ANY circumstances overdrive them but I find a 2 cell very bright with 2 Cs and a 3 cell quite bright with 3Ds. They are small and compact and thus don't produce nearly as many artifacts in the beam.

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe - I believe they have them in NJ. Do the bulbs you speak of have a dome top. I got one and tried it in my 2c mag light and it was way better then the stock bulb. Thanks -

Elmo

Newly Enlightened
Xenon bulbs for Mag lite
are we talking about the Expensive cars' Xenon type of bulbs? or fake ones? (blue tint)

anyways, i hope you are talking about REAL ones
in that case, where can i buy one?

thx...

im a flashlight noob !

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kart,
Overdriveing the 3.6V lamp by 1.2V is a 33% overdrive. If you overdrive a 2.4V lamp by 1.2V. you're overdriving it 50%. TX

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest - You are the man, I didn't think of it like that. That explains it. That's why I've been blowing up bulbs! 33% is ok but the 50% must push it beyond what it can handle. Sometimes the answer is so obvious we just overlook it (or overdrive it) Thanks --

Ratso

Enlightened
Originally posted by Elmo:
[QB]Xenon bulbs for Mag lite
are we talking about the Expensive cars' Xenon type of bulbs? or fake ones? (blue tint)
[QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are mistaken. The Xenon in Automotive lamps is actually called High Intenisty Discharge. It is an arc lamp that is filled with Xenon gas.

The Xenon's in typical flashlight is not much whiter than Krypton, but produces more light overall. Xenon bulbs are typical incandescant bulbs filled with Xenon gas for more efficiency, while Automotive HID lights are short arc lamps filled with Xenon. Only very few HID flashlights are on the market, most notably the UK LC100, $150, Maxabeam $1700, and the Mucculloch X990 $500. These are REAL HID Xenon Arc Lamps.

Here is a quote from Craig Johnson's Site:"Instead of a hot metal filament or a glowing block of chemicals on a stick, HID lights create light using a tiny ball of superheated, electrically-charged plasma inside a small quartz bulb. The result is light that is brighter and whiter than incandescent, and with more spectral content than LEDs."

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote by KartRacer31:
Any flashlight of mine that uses PR bulbs I overdrive by using a bulb rated for 1 less cell. Except for 2 cell lights, which I use an HPX21 Xenon 2.4v 0.8a. because I can't find any 1 cell PR bulbs.
If you have a Walmart close, they carry a Ray-O-Vac 2V 1.2A Krypton lamp you might try in your 2D lights. It's made for some rechargable lantern. Must be popular because all the stores carry them. TX

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
txwest - Funny you should mention that bulb, I saw those just this past weekend and picked two up. I figured 2v would overdrive nicely in a 2d light, wrong. I didn't think it was very good. I don't know why tho? Any ideas? --

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi - I need a better understanding about bulbs, and volts / amps / watts. I hear that volts x amps = watts. I assume the higher the watts the brighter the light. Therefore to achieve the higher watt output, the higher the volts and amps the better. (however something isn't right about that, otherwise I would be using 4cell bulbs would burn brighter in my 2cell lights) So what am I missing.

Also I believe that the brightest bulbs are in the folowing order: Halogen, Xenon, Krypton, standard. Are there others? I've seen Zenon as well is this the same as Xenon just a different spelling?

So if it's a flashlight that uses 4aa, 4c, 4d, or a 6v lantern battery, whatever combination to come up with 6volts, why don't you use a bulb thats rated at 6v? A KPR113 which is a common 6v lantern battery is rated at 4.8v / 0.75a. So are we basically overdriving this bulb already?

The difference of overdriving a 3-cell bulb in a 4-cell application is dramatic, I would like to find a bulb combination to do the same in my two and 3 cell lights. Any suggestions? Or any suggestions for the best bulbs of 2 and 3 cell lights?

A quick question about batts: alky aa, c, d batts are supposed to all put out 1.5 volts (give or take a bit). Do they all put out the same amps?

Well I know I just asked about a dozen questions. -- Thanks in advance for any help.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
great thread.
i figured that the 2 cell light is being overdriven by 50% and that's too much overdrive.

the 1 cell bulb in a 2 cell light would NEVER work. sorry. unless the batteries were dead but wouldn't run very long anyways, so pointless.

did this thread determine what the best bulb for a 6volt lantern would be. maybe someone can smack me on the head with it?

also, where do i pick them up. :thinking: whatever they may be.

mvev

Newly Enlightened
I have a KPR 802 bulb (4.8V & 0.5A) I need to replace in a Weber Grill Handle. I have been unable to locate where I can buy. Please let me know. Thanks, Mike

Gunner12

Flashaholic
mvev:

Erm, this thread is 5 years old.

But you might still be able to get the info you need.

:welcome: