EDC Flashlight (Pocket)

Marduk

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, new to the forums and actually, new to flashlights in general! I didn't know there were so many options! It boggles the mind!

I'm sorry if this isn't posted in the right section also.

So ill cut to the point. I'm looking to get myself a high quality fairly compact pocket flashlight that i can use for EDC.
The flashlight will be placed in the side pocket of my Leatherman Charge nylon sheath so it needs to be relatively compact.. About the size of a space pen if anyone knows that size.

I was recommended to get a Fenix LD01 but thought i might look at other options as well.

Any help would be very much appreciated :twothumbs

soli

Newly Enlightened
I was recommended to get a Fenix LD01 but thought i might look at other options as well.

There is a good round up of single AAA lights here. I've got both the LD01 and the LiteFlux LF2XT and they are great lights. I had been carrying the LD01 for about 9 months and recently replaced it with the more programmable LF2XT mainly due to wanting a sub 1 lumen option.

ky70

Banned
Hello Marduke and welcome to the forums!!!

Since your intention (at the moment) is the carry this light in your sheath (designed for a Leatherman multitool) my guess is that you would be better served with an AA light than a AAA light. Take a look at the quark mini AA and the ITP A2 which are still very compact lights but have a more hand friendly diameter. Also take a look at the the regular Quark AA light which is still under 4 inches long (but longer than the mini version I mentioned earlier) and may meet your needs as well. Some of these AAA lights can be very small and I imagine you will surprised at how small those lights are (maybe smaller than you want when looking at the ITP A3)...at the same time the AA lights have a bi more size yet are still very compact too.

Give us a few more things you're looking for in this light (budget, how it will be used) and folks can give you an even more directed response.

Marduk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot to everyone that has contributed to this thread so far.

in regards to what you said ky70 the side pouch of the leatherman sheath is actually surprisingly large as it is constructed out of elastic and stretches to a wide diameter. Not substantially large enough to house a massive light but easily large enough for a Fenix LD01.

As for purpose I'm sorry that i can't really expand on that to a huge degree as its not going to be used for a set task. it will very much just be a.. if a situation arises and i need a torch i will use it. So an all rounder is a good choice.

I have to admit that the LiteFlux LF2XT looks great! That might have to be an option that i add to my list :)

soli

Newly Enlightened
Since your intention (at the moment) is the carry this light in your sheath (designed for a Leatherman multitool) my guess is that you would be better served with an AA light than a AAA light.

I believe the Charge's sheath has additional pockets, and it was one of these pockets rather than the main compartment that Marduk was referring to, so most AA will probably not fit (the Quark MiniAA might).

ky70

Banned
I believe the Charge's sheath has additional pockets, and it was one of these pockets rather than the main compartment that Marduk was referring to, so most AA will probably not fit (the Quark MiniAA might).

Thanks soli for the clarification. With that being the case, the ITP A3 is a great option for small AAA light.

umc

Enlightened
I EDC a charge tti and have the same sheath. On either side of the sheath is some elastic on which you can place small things. I carried a mag solitare in mine for a little bit and that is the right size so I would think something the size of the solitare but actually useful would do the trick. What model replaced the Fenix LOD? That would work.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the LF2XT. But do keep in mind that this light is not quite as bright as the LD01, if this is important. Unless, of course, you use a 10440 battery.

The Maratac AAA, similar to the ITP, would also do the job.

Geoff