TK40 flaw

trescocos

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 TK40's and after a few months one of the battery holder rods is getting eaten up by electrolysis in each light - right where the 2 batteries meet. nearly like there is a trickle of current that goes to the alum rod. I did not unscrew my caps when not in use.
Anyone else experience this?
Using good quality energizer and duracell batteries.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
have enloops in mine , carrier still looks brand new batterys have been in it since decemeber with no tail break.

get away from alkalines

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I have 2 TK40's and after a few months one of the battery holder rods is getting eaten up by electrolysis in each light - right where the 2 batteries meet. nearly like there is a trickle of current that goes to the alum rod. I did not unscrew my caps when not in use.
Anyone else experience this?
Using good quality energizer and duracell batteries.
trescocos, :welcome:
the emphasized word shows that it's highly likely the batteries that is at fault here, based on the assumption that you are using Energizer and Duracell alkaline batteries.
have you taken the batteries out, yet?

what to do next:
1. removes all alkaline batteries from both TK40...
2. thoroughly clean both your battery holders... you can use Isopropyl alcohol...
3. protect all the contact points with DeoxIT Gold...
4. get 16 pieces of Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries...
5. get Maha C9000 or Maha C801D charger...
6. store your remaining "in-the-package" alkalines for emergency use only...
7. start to enjoy both your TK40 all over again... :thumbsup:

joe1512

Enlightened
trescocos, :welcome:
the emphasized word shows that it's highly likely the batteries that is at fault here, based on the assumption that you are using Energizer and Duracell alkaline batteries.
have you taken the batteries out, yet?

what to do next:
1. removes all alkaline batteries from both TK40...
2. thoroughly clean both your battery holders... you can use Isopropyl alcohol...
3. protect all the contact points with DeoxIT Gold...
4. get 16 pieces of Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries...
5. get Maha C9000 or Maha C801D charger...
6. store your remaining "in-the-package" alkalines for emergency use only...
7. start to enjoy both your TK40 all over again... :thumbsup:

A cheaper approach is a pack like so:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NSX60I/?tag=cpf0b6-20

31 bucks shipped for 8xAA eneloop, a charger, 2 AAAs for other uses and some battery shells (which are mostly useless).

If you use the light very regularly, you might be better off with the upgraded charger as above.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a flaw. Your fault. Alkalines are notorious for leaking, especially Duracell's. Also, you really aren't getting the best performance out of your 40 with alkalines. The Ni-MH AA's are a much better choice, and will save you big cash in the long run.

fyrstormer

Banned
Yeah, alkaline batteries are underpowered, leak-prone landfill fodder at this point. With 1.7V lithium AAs available now, I don't understand why they even make alkalines anymore. I haven't (willingly) used one in years.

Archie Cruz

Banned
TK40 is flashlight of the year for me. I use only Thomas Distributing bought PowerEx 2,700Mah NiMh AA's in mine. Awesome performance.

thedeske

Enlightened
It takes time to experience the Duraleak in it's many forms - center, side, all around and my favorite, the frozen meteorite. A form of plastic, metal and immovable FUBAR switches.

The inevitable 86 of this new form of modern art leads to a certain movement of gray matter and other fine events.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline batteries in general should be kept far away from flashlights, but in particular they should be kept FAR FAR away from a Fenix TK40!

Trescocos, consider yourself *extremely* lucky that you caught this problem before the alkaline batteries leaked even more and completely ruined your expensive TK40. There is no such thing as a "good quality alkaline battery." ;)

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Only Powerex 2700's or Imedion 2100's in mine since day 1. No unscrewing the head to eliminate the small keep-alive current & no corrosion anywhere. Toss the alkalines.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you only use light occasionally, use lithium aa. i like them better than rechargeables for that purpose,
they cost more but for $150 light you don't wanna be cheap on batteries.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It took me a few months to buy enough rechargeables to put in my TK40. I ran it on alkalines the first month or two, then put my brand new LSD rechargeables in until they where due for a charge. At that point, I figured I might as well kill the 8 original alkalines. They stayed in for about 8 months and haven't had a problem, but do note that I do lock-out the tailcap after each use.

I would check if your batteries can make a contact directly with the posts or some place they're not supposed to. If they do, definitely change brands, but I too would strongly recommend good rechargeables and get in the habit of locking out the tailcap if you don't already.

Pics would be appreciated.

trescocos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the input. I will be switching batterie right away! I didnt realize alkalines were such a POS. All my other expensive battery powered items use lithiums.
here is a pic of the battery holder and where the rod is eaten up

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100047

trescocos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the advise. Apologies to Fenix!
heres a pic
http://www.me.com/gallery/#100047

There are actually sh..ty quality Alkalines - where i live in belize they also sell pirated duracells and energizers. junk.

Going for Nimh all the way around - i have 4 tk40's and just ordered a SR90