Question for Fenix MC10 Owners

gilly

Enlightened
I've been using the search function and have not found a definitive answer to this question:

Will the MC10 work reliably (not become damaged) with Energizer L91 lithium primary batteries?

I saw a lot of people asking the same question of the dealers - and no answers.

The light is rated at 1.6 v and an L91 is around 1.8 v out of the package - so officially I would imagine the answer to be "no".

Just wondering if anyone has tried using them...

My Sister picked one of these up and is taking it hiking/camping in the Grand Canyon. Obviously L91s make the most sense for hiking with the low weight and superior energy provided.

Thanks!

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix lights tend not to work well with higher voltage batteries. You will most likely lose a noticeable change in brightness for the first two modes, but using on Turbo for a few minutes at first should drop voltage below 1.5v, allowing the driver to properly regulate.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I've used an L91 in my MC10 since acquiring it a couple of months ago. Granted it only has around an hour of actual run time as the MC10 isn't my EDC. I'm certainly not hesitant about continuing to use L91s in it either. I am hoping your sister is planning on taking a backup on the camping trip. Of course I'd be saying that regardless what of f.l. was taken as the primary.

C'mon guys - anyone out there tried lithiums in their MC10???

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a problem here with L91's. Run time is good. I've done 6 water changes in the fish tank, which takes around 20-30 minutes and I have yet had the need to replace the battery. Mind you, I think its only on medium mode. Medium mode gives off more than enough light. If it is in high mode, maybe the water has some cooling effect but I am almost certain its on medium.

gilly

Enlightened
Thanks for the information - much appreciated! And yes, I have talked her into carrying at least three lights with her - the MC10, a Romisen 1 x AA and a Fenix E01. Tried to talk her into getting something a bit more reliable than the Romisen, but that was a no-go...

lovecpf

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Thanks for the information - much appreciated! And yes, I have talked her into carrying at least three lights with her - the MC10, a Romisen 1 x AA and a Fenix E01. Tried to talk her into getting something a bit more reliable than the Romisen, but that was a no-go...

lovecpf

Bro, she absolutely needs a powerhouse light if she's going there.
I think the night view with a light that can light up places 150+ metres away would be awesome.
Eagletac M2XC4! :)

gilly

Enlightened
I'm with you - but she has to consider weight, as she will be carrying everything she needs for a week in her pack. I think the M2XC4 will be too large!

I'm considering, out of the goodness of my heart, letting her take along either my E2DL or M20...