New guy with a question

Johnny7

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if I posted in the wrong place. I've got a few lights as of now, a couple maglites and my EDC Surefire G2.

I'm looking for a new light, and came across these a while back:

http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/M3-2I-Tactical-740-Lumen-Anti-Roll-Finland-Lens-007.htm

http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/M4-2-Tactical-900-Lumen-001.htm

Has anyone heard of or tried one of these, or should I stick with something like a Surefire or a Fenix?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you be a little more specific as far as what you're looking for??? Tactical? Utility? All Purpose? Searchlight??? I'm gonna recommend a Surefire either way, but which one depends on what you're looking for. Welcome to CPF BTW!

csa

Enlightened
I agree that surefire is the way to go. They're reliable, backed by a great warranty, and are generally some of the best around. I don't know anything about the lights you linked, but they sure do look like they wish they were surefires. Go with the real thing, you won't be disappointed.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the lights you've linked to are what you're after, try a TK30/40, Thrunite Catapult, Olight M30.

More cash, yes, but at least you know what you're getting.

Those figures are not reliable and DO NOT believe the 900lumen P7 figure. Like most cheaper Chinese lights the real otf figure is probably half the quoted figure.

Stick with what is known and trusted my most CPFer's. You can probably get those cheaper lights cheaper at DK or Kaidomain anyway.

The fact that he 'tests' every light before it's shipped says something about the manufacturing quality. This one works, this one doesn't, this one works....you get the picture.

Quality lights are tested too, but usually not by the retailer. They just send one out in the box knowing it will work.

Johnny7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome, I'm really happy that I found this place. As for what I want in a light, I'm looking for a balance between an all purpose light and one that I can blast the socks of anything I point it at.

I did see the Fenix TK30/40's on amazon for around $120/130 each, but as cheap as those may be to some of you, I am on a budget. They'll come later. What do you all suggest? Fenix TK10/11 maybe?

I do kind of want to stay with CR123 batteries, but I wouldn't mind using rechargables.

btw that thrunite catapult does look awfully good though :devil:

ETA: does the catapult come with the extension tube, or is that sold separately?

Last edited:

bullettproof

Enlightened
Do your self a favor and buy a Surefire a small 1 cell get a Silver E1B or 2 cell light the E2DL or LX2 you will be happy with any of these.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a youtube video somewhere of one of his lights and I think it was briefly discussed here on CPF in a thread. IIRC they are not regulated.

Latest posts