Another CR123 thread

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to read up for the last 48 hours here to gain some sort of insight and finally need to ask a question. There is just way too much info here to process in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm looking for a well built, bright search light for use in low to no light areas.
It doesn't need to be compact for pocket carry but shouldn't be the size of a baseball bat either.

I've got an LX2 for weapon use, an EagleTac T20C2 MKII XP-G R5 on the way for a constant on, hands free carry light but am looking for another size for bigger applications. Something that can be stored in a vehicle or at home when not in use.

I'd prefer something that uses CR123s, as that would keep all the lights using the same batteries.

Battery count is not an issue
Cost is somewhat an issue, nothing too much over $200.

This thread has some good , useful shots that got me looking in the first place:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3351008

Is there anything besides the EagleTac M2SC4 (MC-E) NW and the Olight M30 Triton out there that might work on the CR123 power source ?

Switching batteries might not be a big deal if the light performs well and can be recharged.

The Olight SR90 Intimidator looks nice but costs more than a brand new Glock and is more than twice what I'm looking to spend.

Any suggestions ?

JCD

Enlightened
Surefire C3 or 9P with P91 lamp assembly meets your requirements. Surefire's lumen rating seems to be conservative. The P91 is impressively bright, and the incan light will provide more detail than the light from most LED based emitters, which seems like it might be an important consideration in a search light.

Either light will offer you the ability to easily swap out the lamp assembly for a third party drop-in, in order to switch to rechargeable cells, an LED based emitter, or both. There are LOTS of such drop-ins to choose from, a few of which have reputations of quality similar to that of Surefire. A Malkoff M60 LED drop-in comes to mind as an example.

Last edited:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the JetBeam M1X. I love mine. Took it out for a walk on a green way out in the middle of nowhere the other night, and it lights up the night at very impressive distances.

Here is a very good review of the M1X by selfbuilt.

JBM1XV.jpg

Tedfs

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the input.

More searching and trying to learn brings me to another question.

Say I wanted to up the output in lumens to at least 500 usable with at least a run time of 1 hour. What power source would be better for that ?

The instructor from the low light class had a Sure fire g2 with a TNVC cree Q5 head which showed the benefits of a decent hot spot but with good spill when used in conjunction with one handed weapon drills.

While 220 usable lumens is pretty good in pitch dark with little moonlight, I'd like to go brighter but keep the spill.

I have a EagleTac T20C2 MKII on order are there any mods that can be dropped into that ?

How about drop in mods for the SF LX2 ?

The Lumens Factory Seraph SP-9 with the Seraph P7 M Series Turbo Head and M adapter looks like an interesting combo and is within the price limits I've set. Not sure how good the spill is on that combo though.

I'm willing to switch from cr123s for the right light, just need to learn up on what all the battery types are and what to expect from them.

notsofast

Enlightened
There a number of combination of drop-ins and hosts that will get you around 500lms.

The electronic/battery will have all the information you need to make a decision on which will serve your application best.

BrightAsTheSun

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the Jetbeam M1X to compliment your Eagletac T20C2 Mark ii. After reading the reviews and comments from folks here on CPF, I decided on the T20C2 Mark II as my general purpose light (love it so I bought 2) but also wanted a longer range search light that would take the same batteries. I decided on the M1X (with extender) and have been very happy with it. Looked at the M2S (brighter) but it's realtively new and couldn't find as many reviews/beamshots on it yet. The M2S looks nice and is priced about where I can afford so I might pick one up this fall if someone does a good beamshot review here on CPF.

I'd also like to try the Olight SR90 to see what that baby can do. Don't really have a need for that big of a light but sometimes "want" trumps "need". the SR90 is a little pricey for just a "want" though.

Latest posts