Nitecore Defender Infinity R2 vs. Q5?

Southpaw1969

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I've been looking at the NDI for general purpose EDC, and I was hoping you could clear something up for me.

I saw a few different versions on fleabay, and the information regarding their specs is unclear.

The R2 version is listed as 145 lumens for both AA and 14500, which seems odd as everything I've read here has let me to believe these lights perform better on 14500 cells.

The Q5 version is listed at 180 lumens for AA, and 190 lumens for 14500.

I went to the nitecore site, and they only have info on the R2 version, so I'm hoping someone here can clear this up for me. I'd like to get the brighter version, barring some issue I don't know about.

Thanks! :grin2:

357mag1

Enlightened
I have the D10 which has similar specs and even though it shows the same lumens output (145 lumens per spec sheet) for a standard AA type compared to a 14500. My D10 Tribute is definitely brighter running on a 14500. Not as bright as my Nitecore Extreme running on an RCR123 but close. The Extreme quotes 220 lumens on an RCR123 and if that is accurate I would guesstimate the D10 at 180 lumens or slightly better on a 14500.
According to Battery Junction specs they quote 200 lumens for the NDI on a 14500 under "Output & Runtime".

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's just a marketing flub. When they released the DI as their first light, Nitecore was like most other manufacturers pretty generous with their lumens claims(measuring emitter lumens). But when Nitecore teamed up with 4sevens to make the D10, that changed and they took a more restrictive approach(which included for some odd reason not to tell that the lights were brighter on 14500). The DI got upgraded to R2 somewhere in the same time, and it got the same lumen numbers as the D10 since they basically are the same lights. They never corrected the claims for the DI Q5(I think it was out of production by then) though.
But check selfbuilts reviews here or www.light-reviews.com between the different versions and you'll see for yourself.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R2 will be brighter..... just by a teeny bit, hardly visible.
Do note there're the R2 (XR-E) and R2 (XP-E) versions. The XR-E is the best thrower of the 3 and XP-E is the latest version to be out.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The R2 will be brighter..... just by a teeny bit, hardly visible.
Do note there're the R2 (XR-E) and R2 (XP-E) versions. The XR-E is the best thrower of the 3 and XP-E is the latest version to be out.
Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit, but while you're here. :nana:
Saw your D10 tribute thread, and the only word I can come up with is AWESOME. GREAT work! I've not that active here nowadays, but time to upgrade my AA light now and was so pissed that they have discontinued the regular D10(although there are alternatives).
Anyways, how big would you say that the difference in throw between the XP-E and XR-E is? I'd like to get as much throw that I can get out of my pocketlight, so is it a big difference? I was surprised that the XR-E had better throw, since I thought XP-E performed better in that regard in small reflectors. Would you say that the smoother beam on the XP-E is worth the loss in throw?

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the answer applies to both the D10 and NDI.
The difference is visible, the latter XP-E not only is a smaller emitter but their reflectors has been updated with a more pronounced dimpled one, hence a smoother beam.
Whether it's a big difference is rather subjective, but as I'm also one who prefers throw, I carry the XR-E. ;)

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn you! I had almost made up my mind in buying a D10 Tribute. :)
I'm aware of that the difference might not be that big, but if I buy a D10 with less throw than my current 3year old DI Q5, it wont feel so much of an upgrade(even though the D10 seems to be the perfect AA-light to me otherwise(functions aesthetically, size, price etc). The fact that the D10 is still around and such a heavy contender in the single AA-category is pretty impressive(although still bugs me that they had to tamper with the original design).
Shame they don't make any more XR-Es.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh there're still some XR-Es here and there if you look hard enough. :whistle:

If it's any help, Tribute might not last long. First wave has sold out. :devil:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't mind telling me where or at least give a hint where I can get a D10 XR-E if you have a source? :D
You can PM me if it's not proper to talk about it publicly.

Think I'll take it as good news that the Tribute sold out. Hopefully they will realize that there is a demand...

4EN[sic]

Newly Enlightened
I just peeped out Battery Junction, they seem like they are in stock?

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Just did order a D10 Tribute Edition from Battery Junction saved $6.5 used code EARTHDAY10. Can't wait to try it out and compare to my NDI. :)