best led flashlight for camera assisting

FrankH

Newly Enlightened
Hey all!
First of all, congratulations for such an amazing and useful forum. I apologize if this question has been posted in the past, I searched and read some very interesting threads but couldn't find an answer.
I'm a camera assistant, I mainly use flashlights for two different purposes, 1) to make sure the film gate is free of dirt (what we usually call "hair in the gate") and to thread the film in the camera, and 2) to make sure the clapperboard/slate is visible in low-light situations. Hence I'm looking for a powerful LED flashlight that is small enough to fit in a small belt pouch, that I can hold with my teeth, and that produces a good amount of light. I don't need something that throws light miles away.
I've used mini maglites in the past, but the amount of light is really poor, though it's easy to hold it with your teeth. When it comes to illuminate the slate, it does a poor job most of the times.
A few friends of mine have Surefires and swear by them, and I think the 6PL would be a good investment (I wouldn't need something more powerful than that, but it looks like holding it with teeth could be difficult, though I've never tried), but before I order it I'd like to know if you guys, the experts, have some recommendation or advice about other flashlights (it looks like Fenix has some great models, too).
Thank you very much

Frank

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, FrankH :)

You mention holding the light between your teeth, and I'm wondering if instead of doing that, you might find a headlamp useful.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often operate a camera (digital) in the dark, and I find it incredibly nice to have a headlamp to attach lenses, tripod clips, batteries, and operate controls.

Another option is to get a headband for a standard flashlight.

FrankH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks DM51 & AnAppleSnail!
Regarding the headlamp, that's just something that you don't wear on a film set, unless it's for safety reasons (like shooting in a cave)...i don't think it's versatile as a small flashlight, especially when it comes to checking the film gate in the camera. I've seen assistants with surefires and they are really happy about them (i think the model i've seen the most is the 6P), and I'm pretty sure I could hold one of those with my mouth when necessary (I used to do the same with the MiniMaglite 2AA), I was just wondering if you guys could recommend other flashlights for the same purposes, because I've heard good things about Fenix and the Streamlight Scorpion.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks DM51 & AnAppleSnail!
Regarding the headlamp, that's just something that you don't wear on a film set, unless it's for safety reasons (like shooting in a cave)...i don't think it's versatile as a small flashlight, especially when it comes to checking the film gate in the camera. I've seen assistants with surefires and they are really happy about them (i think the model i've seen the most is the 6P), and I'm pretty sure I could hold one of those with my mouth when necessary (I used to do the same with the MiniMaglite 2AA), I was just wondering if you guys could recommend other flashlights for the same purposes, because I've heard good things about Fenix and the Streamlight Scorpion.
Thanks again!

I hear that the Surefire G2L (metal front) has a plastic body, much less likely to require dental work if you are startled.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I point you to the Quark MiNi CR2, MiNi AA, or MiNi 123? Quark is a housebrand of 4sevens.com. The MiNi series are small enough to fit in your mouth without all the strain on your teeth. As a photographer I have them in my pocket and they are just slightly bigger than the battery that they take. I usually use it to inspect my lenses and camera sensors for dust bunnies and I would say they make the best companion for any photographers, videographers, as well as assistants on set. I am very certain you would find them useful in your work.

vasp1

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the headlamp, that's just something that you don't wear on a film set,

Says who? I wouldn't have thought your boss would kick you off set for wearing one.

Why not have a headlamp and a handheld and use each one as fits the job.

Seriously, if something hasn't been designed to be held between the teeth then I wouldn't use it that way.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Quark Mini AA. Only about $36.00 when you use the CPF8 discount code at checkout. The Quark Mini's are excellent lights with great build quality, beautiful beam profile, great name and reputation, and an outstanding price. AA's are common and easy to get, plus you can use rechargeables to keep the battery cost down. I have the Mini 123 and CR2, and will be getting the AA soon.

I am in hopes that there is a Mini AAA in the future....:thumbsup:

Quark Mini 123 and CR2
Mini123andCR2800x556.jpg

Last edited:

FrankH

Newly Enlightened
I hear that the Surefire G2L (metal front) has a plastic body, much less likely to require dental work if you are startled.

Thank you, I'll look into it. I've also found a SF E1L and it looks like a nice little light.

Says who? I wouldn't have thought your boss would kick you off set for wearing one.

Why not have a headlamp and a handheld and use each one as fits the job.

Seriously, if something hasn't been designed to be held between the teeth then I wouldn't use it that way.

Well, it's not like I'm going to hold it in my mouth ALL the time, I'm just making sure it's not too heavy/big in case I need to use it that way. The headlamp would look like a good choice, but threading the film and checking the gate take literally seconds, it'd be more efficient to do it with a flashlight, instead of taking the headlamp from my belt pouch, putting it on, using it, and then putting it back. And as strange as it may sounds, some people on a film set would actually tell you not to use one just because they've never seen one before :D

pjandyho & bondr006, thanks for telling me about the Quark Minis, I'll look into them, too.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'm looking for a powerful LED flashlight that is small enough to fit in a small belt pouch, that I can hold with my teeth, and that produces a good amount of light. I don't need something that throws light miles away.
I've used mini maglites in the past, but the amount of light is really poor, though it's easy to hold it with your teeth. When it comes to illuminate the slate, it does a poor job most of the times.
The light made to order is the Modamag Draco. I wear mine on a neck lanyard and use it in my teeth everyday. It's got 3 levels w/memory so you can choose which level you'll be using at the time and that's the brightness it will come on at every time until you change it.
They are a bit spendy but a Draco would be with you all the time and the levels go all the way from a very usable low, which is what I use 90% of the time, to a user selectable brightness for medium and a high that throws an incredible 160 lumens, with a beautiful beam pattern that has a nice fat hotspot that seamlessly blends into it's generous flood with no hint of ringiness or artifacts.

Last edited:

FrankH

Newly Enlightened
The light made to order is the Modamag Draco.

Thanks, kaichu dento. I'll see if I can find one and test it "live". By the way, thank you all, it's unbelievable the amount of information available around here (and just as unbelievable how little do i know about these things :) )

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Thanks, kaichu dento. I'll see if I can find one and test it "live". By the way, thank you all, it's unbelievable the amount of information available around here (and just as unbelievable how little do i know about these things :) )
Frank,

Here's a couple pics of the Draco for you to see how small they are!
P1060022.jpg

Dracointhehotsprings.jpg

Sometimes while holding it in my teeth I'll just let it drop and it puts out a floody enough beam to light a semi-circle on the ground in front of me, which is a problem with many lights that have a tighter beam to them.

The two on the lettuce are titanium with a TiCN industrial coating on them. The one in the lower picture is the same except for the coating being the slightly more popular AlTiN coating. These have some of the nicest threads on a titanium light available and also have a tritium slot in the back to facilitate finding them on the ground or a dark night stand. (Plus I guess there's the bling factor!)

Last edited: