If you dont have a Surefire Kroma this Video will make you want it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Arrgh, now I have to watch all the Surefire commercials on there! Anyone else feeling the urge to buy a flashlight? Hehehe

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new LED drop in for an old Surefire I had. I decided on getting all my lights out, clean them up, see what I need for batteries and bulbs.

The Kroma is one of my favorites. I was able to get a milspec years ago.

daf3m

Enlightened
From a usa product advertisement i would expect to seeat least a true origin american as an engineer and not someone with east origins!

bullettproof

Enlightened
From a usa product advertisement i would expect to seeat least a true origin american as an engineer and not someone with east origins!

Well think again Paul Kim is an Engineer like no other:twothumbs

sjmack

Newly Enlightened

What does it matter, man? He's in the US, building some of the most kickass lights out there. I am a mechanical engineer, and I know when I am working with other engineers, I don't want them to be of a certain descent, I just want to know they are the best goddamned engineers out there.

Back to the topic at hand, that was an awesome advertisement.

daf3m

Enlightened
Just my opinion..advertismenets are totally different from engineering .:thumbsdow

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Just my opinion..advertismenets ara totally different from engineering .:thumbsdow

America was formed from immigrants. You don't have to be a stereotypical Caucasian to be a "true american". Unless you mean you would have liked to see a native american in the ad...

Also, showing the head engineer in the advertising is great, in my opinion. It's awesome how the ad goes right through from concept generation to production.

bullettproof

Enlightened
Just my opinion..advertismenets are totally different from engineering .:thumbsdow

Thats a dumb comment:shakehead.So what your saying is that the Designer Engineer of Surefire shouldn't be in the Video per say because he should have a certain appearance that is more American.The only True Americans are Native Indians maybe Surefire should have an Indian Chief on there Advertisements.

daf3m

Enlightened
Sure ,since before a couple of centuries..
Maybe i am just the dumb..or maybe you are.I strongly believe that advertisements have nothing to do with the engineering part and i belong to that group of people who support local engineering and not global mixied engineering. Either way this is my opinion even if you don't like it.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Maybe i am just the dumb..or maybe you are.I strongly believe that advertisements have nothing to do with the engineering part and i belong to that group of people who support local engineering and not global mixied engineering. Either way this is my opinion even if you don't like it.

I'm not sure what the first part of your post means?

My understanding is that Paul Kim and Surefire are just as american as an person or company gets. That doesn't strike me as an example of global "mixied" engineering.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion... :shrug:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i thought it was an ad targeted to another country or something. either way it didnt matter.

and now knowing hes the lead engineer/designer, i think its great he was included. recognition well deserved.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

:oops: Last I checked, everyone who's here has some kind of other origins. They came over the water or in the air. Even the "native" Americans walked here back when you could. Paul Kim, and anyone else who takes the oath of citizenship, is as American as a Mayflower descendant or an American Indian.

Back on topic, the Kroma is a wicked cool light. (I was going to say tres cool, but someone would suspect I'm a Euro-lover. ;) ) Even though the Mil-Spec has the mostly useless (to me) IR LEDs, I love and use the YG LEDs a lot - that's where the selector switch sits by default on mine.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

"Global mixed engineering"??? You know who Paul Kim works for, right? You know where his desk is? What is global, or mixed, about this???

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back to the video - which is also on SureFire's website - did anyone else think it was cool to see all those (Americans) putting together those flashlights on their benches? I tend not to think about "production" of SureFire lights that way - it's a neat look inside the company. :thumbsup:

jblackwood

Enlightened
thanks for posting!!
There was a mint Kroma that went unsold for $140 on the marketplace a couple weeks ago:thinking:... CPF is definitely a "brighter is better" crowd!!

Not always, just look on the McGizmo fora to see that. I do see your point, especially when some people start doing math like "why would I want to buy a light that's only 100 lumens for $120 when I can buy a 200 lumen light for half that price from another company?" and I could cite at least three examples where I'd rather go for the former and not the latter due to design differences and functionality. Maybe that ad never reached the right people?

As far as the anti PK comments, putting him in the ad was like putting Michael Jordan in an ad for Nike, except for the fact that Jordan wouldn't know the first thing about shoe design: Paul Kim is a superstar in the flashlight world. If you didn't recognize him by name, he wasn't put in there for you, plain and simple. There's no rationalizing it and if his presence in the ad deters you from going with a SF light, then you'd be better off spending your $$$ on a cheaper American knock-off . . . good luck finding those, though, especially if you want a more American flashlight company than Surefire! :crackup:

Status
Not open for further replies.