$100 for 2 flashlights? (Gift)

entoptics

Enlightened
Since I'm so new to "real" flashlights, I'd like to pose a question to the gurus.

$100 for two flashlights. One "big" thrower, and one small EDC.

Background: My buddy is completely unaware of new LED tech, and still has a bunch of incandescent lights lying around the house. His wife wants to surprise him for his birthday with a new flashlight, and was willing to spend $100 MAX. When I asked whether he'd like an EDC or a "big" thrower, she couldn't answer, but when I said "both?", she was all over it.

So...

For $100 OTD, what would you guys pick as your dream team under the following conditions.

1) $100 is absolutely max budget. Less is MUCH better. AA power, no exotics or 123s.

2) Guy is a flashlight newb so SIMPLE UI. He's smart enough to program something in his easy chair, but when it comes time to use it, the experience has to be DEAD SIMPLE. He's not gonna "practice", and will want it to just make some light (dim, bright, heart of the sun). Clicky switch is better, but twisty isn't ruled out.

3) One light will be EDC. Single AA (AAA maybe). Nitecore D10 size or smaller, pocket clip, simple UI. My current baseline is the EOS A2.

4) Other light will be a "thrower". Truck, toolbox, camping, etc. High output, outdoor use, and "intruder blinding" power for the house. My current baseline would be any of the "reputable" 2xAA lights (fenix, quark, nitecore, etc).

5) Extreme reliability. He's new to the game, and we don't won't to put him off with some sort of glitch or problem. We don't even want to THINK about him needing to email/call a customer service rep.

6) Dildo diffuser accessory for one or both lights. He camps and has experienced power outages, so a diffuser "lantern" attachment would tickle him to no end. If an easily home made solution works, a factory accessory isn't necessary.

6) Both lights need to be delivered to CO by May 15th.

So, educate me gurus...

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix TK20 might be a good choice. Nice tint, rugged and rubberized for outdoor use and two modes for runtime or brightness. I've also heard it has a fairly tight beam which will give it a little throw, although you have to realize that there aren't any "real" AA throwers. There are only a few really powerfull AA lights such as the tk40 or the polestar and they are kind of expensive, and while they can throw a bit, they are more floodlights than throwers. Regardless, I think its a good choice, good for both flashaholics and newbies alike. Also its only 2 modes so its easy to use. The Quark 2xAA is always good too, but a bit more complicated and a little more expensive. Should be noticeably brighter though.

The EDC is easier. I think the Quark mini AA or ITP A2 would be good choices or if you want to go AAA get the ITP A3 EOS.

The TK20 is 52, the quark mini is 36 and the itp is like 21. Total ~75-85 bucks.

Last edited:

entoptics

Enlightened
Holy craptastic reply-speed batman!

By "thrower" I meant "Beats the crap out of a 4 D-cell maglight when focused"

If I understand your reply correctly, there may not be a smooth reflector, or hotspot dominated OP reflector choice in the 2AA realm?

I have an EagleTac T20C2 (1st gen) with smooth reflector. I was hoping something similar existed, but in a 2AA configuration.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the reviews of it says it has a tight spot but if you really want to get him something that throws on AA's, maybe you should email Bryan at shiningbeam and see if he can sell you a romisen rc-c6 II with an extension tube to make it a 2xAA light instead of cr123. It has a zoomable head so when fully tightened it can really throw and when loosened it has a huge smooth flood with absolutely no artifacts. Its actually a very nice light, I have one and love it. It is also available in a neutral tint and with shipping and the extension tube is under 30 bucks. However, the quality will not match that of a fenix or quark, it will have less overall output, but do flood and throw very well, and its two modes are almost the same, very poorly spaced. I do really like it though.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, as previously mentioned, it's almost a necessity to open up to other battery options, especially for a thrower. I was going to recommend a Tiablo A9 for the thrower light, which should be around $70, but it takes two CR123's.

entoptics

Enlightened
If I open up to other battery options (non NiMH AAs), she'd need to provide a couple cells and a charger if they are Li-ion (e.g. 18650). He's a cheapskate, but he'd play with the light endlessly, so saddling him with a CR123 light would not be ideal.

I got my T20C2 for $50, and I picked up 2 18650 cells + charger for $25 in a lucky and ASTONISHING deal on the EagleTac, so I'm not exactly hopeful that something similar will come along in the next week.

What's the best 2xAA thrower out there with a good UI? 220 lumens with a serious hotspot?

Should we cut our losses and go with a very powerful EDC light, and let him find his own way to the monster outdoor thrower lights?

CPF has one week to find a new disciple, so let the ideas flow.:poke:

duboost

Enlightened
Some 2AA lights i would consider are:
Fenix TK20
Fenix LD20
Quark 2AA Tactical (if you were to program it for him)
Quark 2AA Turbo (if you were to program it for him)
Eagletac P100A2
Eagletac P20A2 MKII
Dereelight Javelin (although im not sure this one could be delivered in time from HK)
Solarforce L2R w/ Nailbender XP-G low voltage drop in

For a smaller EDC light:
Nitecore D10
ITP A3 or A2
Quark MiNi AA
Preon I or II
Maratac AAA or AA
Titanium Innovations Illuminati
Fenix LD01

If the light is just going to sit in a toolbox or glove compartment for extended periods of times i'd use energizer lithium primaries and if it's going to be used fairly often i'd try to set him up with some eneloops. You'd hate to have him calling you because alkalines have leaked in his new lights

entoptics

Enlightened
Duboost, I'm DEFINITELY gonna put him onto low self-discharge NiMH. He's already got AA chargers, so he'll be ready to rumble there.

I'm familiar enough with all the "stats" for various 2xAA lights, and EDC as well. I just don't have enough experience to effectively rank them when price is a factor.

Could you narrow down your lists to those that you think fit the above criteria best? Regarding programming, he's totally capable of that himself, but he's not gonna want to deal with any weird behavior in the "field". In the arm chair, he'll enjoy goofing with things, but when he wants light for business, he won't want any surprises.

Last edited:

garden

Newly Enlightened
What about a gift card to 4Sevens or similar? If not, then get a LD20 (personally preffered, slightly brighter) or TK20 (rubber grip, slightly tighter beam) with the Fenix diffuser cap (not sure if it'll fit TK20, it fits the LD20).

You can also get a Fenix E10, which is cheaper than the iTP single AAAs, and well built, with wonderful runtime.

Please also leave a note to your friend's husband NOT to use "heavy duty" or "extra heavy duty" batteries, but rather NiMHs or lithium primary. Heavy duty would probably leak on a high power device after a couplke of munutes.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Not sure of the price of these two together, but I'd strongly suggest consideration of a couple of my favorite gift lights: the Quark AA for a light capable of going from very, very low to very decent high level and respectable throw capability in a compact design that is very easy to use.

For his AAA EDC the iTP A3 is very hard to beat and having a few expensive lights and tried out lots of small lights, it still finds it's way into my hand because of the smooth beam pattern, easy to use UI and lightweight and comfortable FFF (form-follows-function) design.

If this pair comes to more than $100 it can't be much more and you may even find the Quark in the Marketplace.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark 2AA Turbo.
Preon I or II.

+1 on this.

Got a Ti Preon I on my car keys and it is a great little light.

The Quark Turbo is a simple 2 mode (which you can set for him before gifting it) and will probably astonish him if he is used to old Mags.

Both lights do well on NiMHs:D

Sverre

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Fenix TK20 might be a good choice. Nice tint, rugged and rubberized for outdoor use and two modes for runtime or brightness. I've also heard it has a fairly tight beam which will give it a little throw,

+1 on the TK20, i own one and its a good thrower for a 2xAA, tough as nails and there is a red filter that will fit it as well. I got my TK20 from 4sevens and using the "CPF8" discount code on checking out brings the price down to $48.70 or thereabouts. Its a really reliable and tough light.

For an EDC light, 1xAA, I'd consider the Fenix LD10+ Premium Q5 ($53.95 b4 discount, $49.63 after).

Together it comes to just below $100.00.

duboost

Enlightened
I'm familiar enough with all the "stats" for various 2xAA lights, and EDC as well. I just don't have enough experience to effectively rank them when price is a factor.
Well the cheapest of the lights I mentioned would be the eagletac P100A2. Available in cool or neutral tint and a simple 2 mode UI, its a nice light for <$40, however it doesn't come with any accessories.

The Fenix Tk20 imo, is the best light for the price if it'll be used for camping/outdoors/or toolbox duty. At right around $50 it's a tank of a light w/ a nice neutral tint and great rubber grip. Plus it is a decent thrower for outdoor use. Comes with a holster, clip, and lanyard if that is important. The drawback would be the diffusor. Fenix offers a diffusor tip for the TK series ($7), but from my experience it is too loose to fit on the TK20 very well (but fits perfectly on my TK11). This isn't a problem if you intend to just tailstand the light with the diffusor on, but if you were holding the light and walking around with it, the diffusor wouldn't stay on for long. So if the difussor criteria is important to you, this is something to consider.

The Quark 2AA tactical is another good contender. After you program it, it's a simple 2 mode light. Has a bright high and nice choice of low modes with good runtime to choose from. Also has the advantage of being able to lego parts like switching to a 1AA or CR123 body or using the turbo tail cap to allow the light to tailstand while maintaining the forward momentary tailswith (at the expense of the tailcap being slightly wider than the light). Also comes with lots of extras (removeable clip, holster, lanyard, hand grip). For a diffusor, the Prism is available as an accessory ($20) which turns the light into a right angle light. For $59 (only a little more than the TK20) you get a pretty versatile light with lots of extras. It's much slimmer than the TK20 and naturally doesn't have the "tank" feel of the TK20, but i've dropped mine more than a few times and haven't had any issues.

There is the Quark 2AA Turbo which offers superior throw to the model mentioned above, however it is pricier at $75 and is not able to utilize the Prism accessory.

The Eagletac P20A2 is a newer light from Eagletac available with cool or neutral tint and smooth or OP reflector. Simple 2 more with mode hidden modes. Lots of accessories also, holster, clip, lanyard, and includes a diffusor. Also has an RGB diffusor kit available separately if that is something that would interest him. At $65 it's slightly more than the Quark but has the advantage of an included diffusor.

Solarforce L2R is a 2AA version of their Surefire 6P clone. At only $20.99 it leaves u some room for a decent drop in. I'd suggest one of nailbender's drop ins. He can make u an XR-E or XP-G low voltage drop in, which will run nicely off 2AA's and you get your choice of tint for ~35. Which will bring the total right around the others. Solarforce also offers a lantern head for $15 which is bulkier than your typical diffusor but works well.

For edc, the D10 tribute edition would be my choice if he's willing to pocket carry a light, however at $65 you would need to be looking even cheaper for the 2AA light...

The best bang for you buck in this category would easily be the A3. However, i would regulate it to keychain duty as i really don't trust the clip on it. I've already lost the clip on one of mine after it fell off. Also for the keychain i'd take off that long chain that comes with it and use a standard split ring instead, as i don't trust that chain thing either as I've had mine break. But the light itself is a winner for the price and it'll leave you plenty of budget to work with for the 2AA light. Oh and a chapstick cap fits over the A3 perfectly to function as a diffusor :twothumbs

Sorry this turned into a novel... lol. hope that helps though. Oh also, don't forget the dealer discount codes to help you stay within budget :thumbsup:

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

entoptics

Enlightened
Excellent info so far. I'm starting to narrow my ideas down. I'll have to consult my buddy's old lady of course, but it sounds like we'll have several excellent options.

If she gets an EOS A2 at ~$25 for his EDC light, a Quark Turbo would be a good "thrower" option that would stay within budget. I wish it would tail stand though.

Obviously the Quark has a considerably higher lumen output compared to the TK20, but how does the throw distance compare? The TK20 might be ideal in its simplicity and construction, but I'm put off a little by the 150 lumen output compared to other 2AA lights at 200+ lumens.

For his first "modern" flashlights, I'd really like to blow his mind with the power to size ratio, with less emphasis on runtimes. That is a given for the EDC lights, but might be less obvious to him for the larger outdoor light. Does anyone offer a "normal" 2xAA (besides the TK20) with a smooth reflector for massive throw?

secarob

Newly Enlightened
I really think you should consider one of the Romisen's either the RC-C6 or the RC-G2 then go with one of the nice Fenix lights.

As a matter of fact I would go with the RC-C6 which is a killer little light then ask him to guess the price on both the Romisen and the Fenix