2 AA Build Advice

X-Fire

Newly Enlightened
Im wanting to build a 2AA Tactical style light. I recently modified my surefire g2 with a Q5 drop in from DX and it was an awesome upgrade. Problem is that the surefire is a 2 CR123 light.
What housing would you all recommend if any that would host a p60 drop in with 2AA.
Trying to see if I can match the quality of the surefire in looks and brightness for a reasonable cost as I plan on giving a couple away as gifts.

Thanks in advance.
:twothumbs

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your have two mainstream choices: Dereelight and Solarforce. Each is good. At about $15 shipped, Solarforce is about half the price. I own both, plus the FiveMega 2xAA, which is no longer available. Solarforce is my favorite to hold It's also the heaviest and has a cheap-feeling reverse clicky. FiveMega has the nicest tailcap button, a forward clickie. Dereelight is the slimmest and can be extended to a 3xAA, but its head isn't quite standard; I can't recall how. I think it may not be deep enough for some modules.

There's also a cheap brand from DX; can't recall the link or brand.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 2 AA Build Advice: FiveMega

When I wrote that the FiveMega 2xAA is no longer available, I was wrong! They're back in stock at their sole vendor, Lighthound. The 1xAA body is likewise still available, but the 3xAA is gone for good.

Truth be told, if you can live with a cheap-feeling reverse clickie, the Solarforce is in the same league for a lot less money. And unlike the FiveMega, the Solarforce has a tailcap you can remove; no need to remove the bezel to change AAs.

The FiveMega still has a few advantages: A tailcap switch rated to 3 amps (or more); hard-anodize coating; and the widest inner diameter to accept any AA, even if you've stuck a label on it.

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Re: 2 AA Build Advice: FiveMega

be aware that the solarforce 1x123 extension doesn't work with the G2, at least it doesn't with mine.