PWM frequency, at what point does it become [video] camera friendly?

Illum

Flashaholic
Its a question that has been irritating me for sometime, for a typical point and shoot camera, at what frequency does a PWM driver become camera or video camera friendly?:candle:

Last edited:

computernut

Enlightened
Re: PWM frequency, at what point does it become camera friendly?

*EDITTED* I was thinking of things backwards. You want a long shutter speed. Sorry.

Last edited:

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
Re: PWM frequency, at what point does it become camera friendly?

A faster shutter speed doesn't help with this problem?

If you decreased the shutter time to the PWM period, you'd get half a picture lighted and half a picture unlighted. (Assuming PWM duty cycle of 50%)

What you want to do is to lower the shutter speed (or up the PWM frequency) so much that the lighting is effectively even across all the CCD cells.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Re: PWM frequency, at what point does it become video camera friendly?

yikes :oops:
I left out the most important word:mecry:
On occiasion I use my point and shoot camera [Canon SD630] to film short clips, I think on standard its 15 Frames/Sec

Unfortunately my camera even on manual I cannot control the shutter speed, I can only control the shutter speed by adjusting the ISO and even at that at night it just means 1/4 sec over 1":eek:

Heres my application, I take pictures or footage of people looking through telescopes at night as part of organization documentation. Taking pictures will require me to use a red light or a red filter over white light. I wanted a flashlight like the SF titan, Gatlight, or some type of flashlight that has many diming options to choose from, as sometimes more light is needed while other times too much light [even red] can be glaring. P1D doesn't work, L0D-CE doesn't work....etc...hence the question.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Ah, a Video camera. Maybe something like this? Link

yeah...just much bigger. the 2-LED is cool if the cameras on the tripod, but if I'm on the move on occiasion I have to use my L4-MCE + red filter to illuminate things correctly...and of course one time of another shined it in the patrons eyes by accident:shakehead