What is the best AA based flashlight?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, a couple of points actually. Go ahead and pin down your thoughts on this one:

Only restriction is that it has to be a AA-based product that can found in retail, NOT modified...

1) What is the BRIGHTEST (lumens) AA-based flashlight: a) BRIGHTEST AA incandescent, b) BRIGHTEST AA LED based...

2) What is the TIGHTEST BEAM (laserlike focus) AA-based flashlight: a) incandescent AA, and b) LED AA based...

3) What is the LONGEST LASTING AA-based flashlight: a) incandescent, and b) LED based AA...

It'll be interesting to see some opinions and answers on this...

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Hrmm. pretty late so I can't think too good right now but..

1a. Princeton Tec Tec-40
1b. Arc LS (2AA pack)
2a. Uke Mini Q-40
2b. Arc LS (2AA pack) Is there any other AA LS based light?
3a. Mini mag? I guess I'm thinking the dimmest will last longest.
3b. Eternalight Model 3 "Ergo"

I agree. This will be an interesting thread to follow.

Best regards,
Randy

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
>> Is there any other AA LS based light?

Only those with the drop-ins for the MiniMags or mods that are made by a some of the CPFers and the CMG Reactor that I'm aware of? (And so far the drop-ins don't match the 2AA LS, at least at my house.)

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest AA...

I've been trying to research this as well.

Near as I can tell, the brightest AA light will be one delivers a heap of current quickly. From my digital camera experience, it is clear that to deliver a "heap of current quickly", you are talking about either Lithium or NiMH batteries.

I don't like the idea of disposable batteries for routine use (OK in an emergency), so...for me, that means NiMH rechargeables are the battery of choice.

If you go with a 4AA light (where the batteries are arranged in series to drive up the total voltage), you can get the voltage up high enough to drive some real power thru the bulb.

And...if you go with a PR bulb based light (like most "cheap" flashlights), you can match the bulb to the current available better.

I (and others on the forum) have experimented with using 4 NiMH AA batteries with the KPR103 bulb with excellent results. The bulb is somewhat overdriven, making it whiter and brighter. You will trade off some bulb life here but still have enough to make it worthwhile.

So... (IMHO) what you want for the brightest AA is a 4AA light, w/NiMH batteries and the KPR103 PR based bulb.

I am aware of these that fit that description:

1. Rayovac 4AA Camper - $3 - cheap switch
2. Prodigy (brand?) - $6 - nice switch but bulky
3. PT TEC40 - $20 - Twist on head, deforms NiMH batteries
4. 4AA Responder - $24 - Flood to spot adjust, VERY tight spot

Since the responder can focus down to a REALLY tight spot, and can accept NiMH w/KPR103, it just might win "Brightest AA".

I've owned the 4AA Camper (switch quit on me) and the TEC40 (deformed my NiMH) and they did create quite a bright light, but not focusable.

Since I want a "pocketable" light, the Prodigy is too bulky for me. I use a LED light (Attitude w/NiMH) for a wide beam and am looking for a bright spot type light. So...I'm thinkin' of ordering the Responder for myself.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Double Barrel 8AA with some W/A super high power bulb.
grin.gif
I hope the bulb change doesn't count as a mod?
smile.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should probably try to make it a bit clearer:

Lights cannot be modified IN ANY WAY. That includes, but isn't limited to, bulb changing or battery modification, as well as circuitry modification. Lights that are user/modder made and sold, regardless of whether or not it is based on any pre-existing product, are also excluded.

Basically, these products have to be found and can be bought off the shelves of retail stores and/or online, and have not been modified in any way, shape or form.

It's one of the few ways to literally test and determine which one's brighter (lumens), can throw longer and/or have a smaller focal degree (beam distance), and last longer (battery conservation), without altering any data (modifications) that could sway its review.

Dang it... I sound like some web site's TOS!

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note, using the database search at www.brightguy.com, I get 43 different lights that use AA batteries.

1. Brightest AA incandecent - Princeton Tec Surge, no doubt, takes 8 AA batteries
Brightest Commercially available LED - Arc LS with the optional 2 AA pack, direct from ARC.

2. Tightest Beam - Probably the UKe 4AA, but I do not know for sure.
LED - TIE Brinkmann LED Longlife and Princeton Tec Impact

3.Longest lasting: CMG Infinity (not the Ultra) 41 hours (Krill Extreme is 50 hours on 2 AA's, but it is not a traditional flashlight)
LED - Princeton Tec 4AA, 7 LED light, up to 155 hours, with diminishing brightness.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by FalconFX:
cannot be modified...bulb changing or battery modification
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well...its your thread.
smile.gif

Just out of curiosity...why not?

I mean, with any bulb based light, you will be changing batteries...and you will at some point replace the bulb. It's not like substituting commonly available replacements that you can find at retail require you to retool the light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
1)BRIGHTEST AA

A)INCANDESCENT: Surge

B)LED:
1) ARC LS AA
2) Reactor III (for a limited period)

2)TIGHTEST BEAM AA

A) INCANDESCENT:
1) UK 4AA or Mini Q040 with #14801 lamp (Now standard with 4AA. It either replaces or coexists with usual standard lamp)
2) Responder (at tightest focus) NOTE: Responder is one of bulkiest and heaviest of 4AA lights, not comfortably pocketable. UK 4AA's very small, slim and light)

B) LED:------

3) LONGEST BURN AA

A) INCANDESCENT: UK 4AA/Mini Q40/lithiums (tested 5+ hours. NOTE PT 40 approx4 hours 15min)

B) LED: Eternalight Classic (original one) Tested to 700 hours. Estimated potential with lithiums, 1400 hours. Figures are from Eternalight

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The brightest AA based LED is LGI. For 2AA LED, provided the LS quality is the same, BB500 should be the brightest.

Alan

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MityLite Magnum 2AA is a very long throw, bright light, but very small centerspot. I would think the longest running incadecent would be one of the 4AA 3V lights with a PR base bulb. You could use a low amperage bulb (they probably come with that because of being AA light) for long battery life. TX

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
By doing nothing more than installing batteries, I find of all the AA lights I currently own that the Eveready Waterproof 2AA was about the whitest tightest hot spot of my AA stuff.

Honorable mention to my Rayovac Industrial 2AA. It has a textured reflector so it doesn't spot well, but does decent enough white light.

I don't remember how my Rayovac Prodigy 4AA or my Princeton Tec 40 looked "stock". But with KPR103's in each thay are quite impressive. (My buddy with the Streamlight SL35X thought my PT 40 was amazing!)

I'd try UKs, or other stuff. But I must find them locally. If I can ever get hooked up with Cousin I'm going to get my StingerHP!!!!

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I have to agree with txwest the Mightylight Magnum has to be in with a chance? I'd actually forgotten how good this light is! Until I bought my E2e I used the Mightylight as my EDC.
It's funny but as a flashaholic you buy lots of different lights, constantly improving on the previous purchase, but sometimes forget that some of your earlier buys were still really useful.

Doug

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Hmmmm...

Tightest beam AA, I think the UK 4AA. Nice long range light.

Longest lasting AA - How about the Everedy 2 LED lantern? An area light, but long runtime.

Brightest AA LED light under $50? Streamlight 4AA LED. (I know, not one of the questions, but it's also probably the brightest non-LS LED AA light.)

Oh, and you didn't have a section for best AA flourescent. I'd nominate the Everedy Arc White.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Alan, those are MODS and are excluded.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oops... how could I missed "Only restriction is that it has to be a AA-based product that can found in retail, NOT modified...". My bad.

Alan

Latest posts