Streamlight 3AA Twin Task + Kroll

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
After I was got through putting my 3AA Twin Task back together (see this thread for my ordeal), I decided to try out one of my newly purchased Kroll tailcaps on it. It does fit, but it doesn't screw down all the way so it doesn't fit perfectly. I thought about cutting the spring down, but I'm not sure that's the problem so I don't want to do that right away. Despite the imperfect fit, it does work rather well. For all of the people who didn't like the way the switch works on the Twin Tasks, at least have an option for the 3AA version. I use the regular switch to choose which mode I want and then the Kroll turns it on and off. Just in case any of you were wondering (I wouldn't trust it to hold up around water, though).

3aakroll.jpg

3aakrollcloseup.jpg

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could remove the spring, altogether, and try it like that. If it doesn't screw all the way in, you could trim a thread or two off of the Kroll with a razor blade. I've heard of others on the forum trimming threads off of Krolls like this.

Let us know If you get it to work.

revbnc

Newly Enlightened
Zenghost,

The knurling on handle appears to be extremely aggressive!

How does it feel in your hand? Rough, uncomfortable, Ok???

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Seems like just line knurling on mine, unlike the raised diamond-shaped points on my PM6. SF uses line knurling too, but in an "interrupted" pattern (kind of similar to skip-line checkering on gunstocks) so that the previously laid lines all in one direction are cut through by the newly cut lines, thereby raising edges or burrs along one of the lines around the squares/rectangles/diamonds formed by the intersecting lines, which produces their grippy texture.

The PM6's diamond points are very small/fine though, so that it is not as rough or coarse a texture as the description would lead one to presume.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I had considered cutting/removing the spring or shaving the threads down, but I had originally purchased this switch for my miniminimag which is on its way so I think I'll wait until I pick up another (although I'll probably get impatient and try it anyway). I'll make sure to update you guys when I do it.

revbnc--the knurling is actually quite right for me. It's just aggressive enough to provide a secure grip but not so aggressive to cause discomfort. Right now I'm comparing it to my E2 (SG) and my Pelican M6 and I can't tell the difference at all.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So that means that if the Kroll tailcap fits it, the Brinkmann 2AA tailcap will NOT fit it, correct?

sygyzy

Enlightened
I don't see how the spring tension could be so strong that you couldn't screw down the end cap? I mean what would cutting it accomplish? The torque and back resistance of screwing down the cap should be able to overcome the spring, right?

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Budd--you are correct, the Brinkmann 2AA tailcap will not fit (at least the 3AA tailcap doesn't).

sygyzy--after examining things a little closer, you're probably right about the spring--originally I thought cutting the spring might help because I didn't realize the spring recesses all the way into the tailcap. If it was completely exposed then cutting the spring may have helped.

If I have time tonight then I'll be attempting the thread trim down.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Well, I trimmed down the threads to match the original tailcap and it was a bit of a failure. The Kroll goes in farther, but unfortunately the rubber cap doesn't quite fit right in the body so it gets a little wrinkled/warped. It works fine, but it appears that the kroll just won't get a perfect fit on the 3AA. I think I'll leave an unaltered one on there, though--just won't take it near water.