Its new EDC time (help me make sure I havnt forgotten a light)

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ok, a little history:

My current EDC (Fenix TK10) is 2 years old now, puts out 225 lumens and has a turbo spot of 4700lux.

It is still certainly alive, and in its 2 years of hard use it has sustained many injuries, but only 1 failure (tail switch that was replaced for free by ledtorches.com.au) and I think really, it has done very well for itself, infact, i'm surprised its not in worse shape considering what it has been through.

However, that said, there are a couple of problems with my current EDC:

-Its 2 years old now, and there are brighter and more efficient things out there
-I would prefer a throwier beam in my EDC
-The protruding tail switch means it turns itself on from time to time in my pocket

Given that I havnt brought myself any toys recently (torches/multitools/knives) I have a decent budget for this, probably around the $300 mark, however, i'm not sure that spending $300 on a torch that will be abused (and possibly lost, considering how many times I have "nearly" lost my current one, a very real concern) is the best idea, so I am looking at 1 of 2 options for my new EDC:

1- I buy something cheaper and mainstream that wont cause me too much pain if I loose it/scratch it up.

2- I buy myself something a bit more special (and expensive, and dangerous) as its something I use every day, something like a 3x XRE drop in for a surefire, or something from Electrolumins/Arcmania

Requirements are:

-2xCR123 (or 18650) of a size that is pocketable (no Olight M30 sized flashlights!!)

-Either comes with a protected tail switch, or has the option to buy one (and thus can tail stand

-Throwy (12,000 lux +)

-Has a low mode that will run for at least 20 hours

-Under $300 US, and able to be shipped to Australia

Possible candidates for option 1 that I have found so far:

-Quark 123^2 Turbo with tailswitch from a regular Quark put on

-Eagletac T20C2

-Olight M20 (R2) (assuming there is an option out there for a recessed clicky tailcap)

-Jetbeam RRT-2 (assuming there is an option out there for a recessed clicky tailcap)

Possible Candidates for option 2:

This is really where I need the most help, what options are there that are currently available?

So far:
-Jetbeam TC-R3 (sure it doesnt really meet my output desires, but it just looks soooo awsome... it would be a shame to have it riding around with my keys though getting all scratched up, so i dont really think this is a good option)

-Moddo's tripple XPG dropin (though i'm not sure I could get my hands on one if I tried...)

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Kipper

stallion2

Enlightened
those are the types of EDCs i like most...tacticals (6V or 18650). the Quark Turbo is awesome and i'll be getting the recessed tailcap at some point i've just been procrastinating. fortunately the lock-out feature is very effective...its well machined so there's virtually no thread play. thus far my favorite EDC in this size range is the LX2. no recessed tailcap but you can get a Delrin ring for it on J Burly's site...again, i've been procrastinating but the lock-out feature on this is no less trouble free than my Quark.

both of them throw like hell. the Quark Turbo's hotspot has a little more reach, is a little more intense but is also much smaller compared to the LX2. the LX2 is almost all hotspot...the beam profile is almost Sci-fi in its nature. shine it over a long distance and it almost looks like the hotspot grows but w/out losing intensity. an F04 diffuser cap is a good accessory if you go this route. protects the optic and makes the light much better for all-around performance.
the M20 is a great light...it was my first high output LED but they have just released an XP-G version at the same price. there is no recessed cap for the M20 of which i'm aware.

AusKipper

Enlightened
those are the types of EDCs i like most...tacticals (6V or 18650). the Quark Turbo is awesome and i'll be getting the recessed tailcap at some point i've just been procrastinating. fortunately the lock-out feature is very effective...its well machined so there's virtually no thread play. thus far my favorite EDC in this size range is the LX2. no recessed tailcap but you can get a Delrin ring for it on J Burly's site...again, i've been procrastinating but the lock-out feature on this is no less trouble free than my Quark.

both of them throw like hell. the Quark Turbo's hotspot has a little more reach, is a little more intense but is also much smaller compared to the LX2. the LX2 is almost all hotspot...the beam profile is almost Sci-fi in its nature. shine it over a long distance and it almost looks like the hotspot grows but w/out losing intensity. an F04 diffuser cap is a good accessory if you go this route. protects the optic and makes the light much better for all-around performance.
the M20 is a great light...it was my first high output LED but they have just released an XP-G version at the same price. there is no recessed cap for the M20 of which i'm aware.

Thanks.

I REALLY like the look of the Quark Turbo, however I have been having some trouble finding some Lux readings for it (when i say "having some trouble" i mean, i have found 0 lux readings for it).

I am one of those that DO like flashing modes on my torches (especially beacon) and the Quark does

If I can find a lux reading for the Quark turbo, and its greater than 10,000ish, then i'll be getting that almost certainly.

Also, accidental turn on isnt the only thing that worries me about the protruding clicky, but also damage from drops etc. I would like my button protected by metal :) (so tail-lockout solutions dont really solve the problem)

AusKipper

Enlightened
I went here and sorted the reviews by max lux levels and there are a fair number of choices but they do not suit your requirement on size with maybe one possible exception.

Ahh, my favorite site :)

I just wish they had the lux levels of the Quark turbo...

Also, the fact I have never heard of RapidFire worries me a little about that choice, but a bit further down the list you have the EagleTac T20C2 which, along with the Quark is very appealing to me right now.

Next possibility was the Olight M20, but the no recessed cap has ruled it out.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 or E2DL

quark turbo is nice too, especially for the price.

also consider the jetbeam M lll. mine is warm tint, and threw just a little tiny bit less than my M20 R2. but i love the tint! the beam is smooth with no rings, and feel its built better and looks better.

AusKipper

Enlightened
LX2 or E2DL

also consider the jetbeam M lll. mine is warm tint, and threw just a little tiny bit less than my M20 R2. but i love the tint! the beam is smooth with no rings, and feel its built better and looks better.

Funny thing is, I am tempted by the Jetbeams (but by the RRT-2, not the M III ), but I think its mostly just because I want to play with the "randomising strobe" lol....

Maybe I could buy both, then EDC what I like best :) (its within the budget, and this way I get 2 lights... hmmm....)

While either of the above would be a "progressive step up" from what I have now, If i got a 800lm + custom for my money it would be kind of a giant leap forward instead... but still havnt had a suggestion for one of those.

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
Ahh, my favorite site :)

I just wish they had the lux levels of the Quark turbo...

Also, the fact I have never heard of RapidFire worries me a little about that choice, but a bit further down the list you have the EagleTac T20C2 which, along with the Quark is very appealing to me right now.

Next possibility was the Olight M20, but the no recessed cap has ruled it out.

http://sunriseinfo.us/reviews/turbo/

this is the only Lux reading i've come across. the problem is that lux measurements usually aren't worth a damn because they are usually taken at 1 or 3m. it doesn't give you much indication of performance in the field because you're not going to be shining it full blast at something 6' away from you but also because the beam profile at that distance has not been given enough room to mature. from what i understand, 4Sevens is the only company that rates their output along the same lines as Surefire...aka - under rating their lights. i don't know how true that is but i know that the 235lm they claim is extremely modest...it's a lot brighter than Olight's M20 (mfg claim 250lm).

AusKipper

Enlightened
http://sunriseinfo.us/reviews/turbo/

this is the only Lux reading i've come across. the problem is that lux measurements usually aren't worth a damn because they are usually taken at 1 or 3m. it doesn't give you much indication of performance in the field because you're not going to be shining it full blast at something 6' away from you but also because the beam profile at that distance has not been given enough room to mature. from what i understand, 4Sevens is the only company that rates their output along the same lines as Surefire...aka - under rating their lights. i don't know how true that is but i know that the 235lm they claim is extremely modest...it's a lot brighter than Olight's M20 (mfg claim 250lm).

Well its nearly double my current lux :) and with a much smoother beam than the Eagletac, and I think probably more compact/pocket-able than the jetbeam, and It has beacon mode, so I guess that has pretty much made up my mind then :)

Jethro

Newly Enlightened
LX2 or E2DL

LX2 can't tail stand, otherwise I would have suggested it too. It's been my EDC for a long time now.

blub

Enlightened
"-Jetbeam RRT-2 (assuming there is an option out there for a recessed clicky tailcap)"

I have the RRT-2 with the crenalated tailstanding bezel, it's a great light. Throws nearly as far as the RRT-1 but less spotty.

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't let tail standing get in the way of buying a great light like a Surefire LX2 or E2DL, the TIR optic should be really good for spotting things at a distance.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I wouldn't let tail standing get in the way of buying a great light like a Surefire LX2 or E2DL, the TIR optic should be really good for spotting things at a distance.

Its not so much the tail standing that gets in the way of purchasing a good light, its accidental in pocket turn ons, and also switch damage from dropping the light that gets in the way of purchasing good lights with protruding clickies :)

Anyway, I am pretty much sold on the Quark Turbo 123^2 with regular tail cap (though i still kinda want the jetbeam, just to have a go of the fancy randomizing strobe).

This thread could probably be locked/and or forgotten about now.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ok, have just ordered:

Quark 123 Turbo

Quark RGB Neut

Quark RGB Cool

And some batteries :)

I am going to steal the tail cap off one of the RGB's and put it onto the Turbo, thus saving me having to buy the additional tailcap (i just brought 2 extra torches instead lol... hmm)

And now I am BANNED for buying torches/multitool/knives again untill my next savings target is met :( (with the exception of another Zebralight H501 when they are back in stock, because I have a "need" for another one of those..)

AusKipper

Enlightened
Ok, have just ordered:

Quark 123 Turbo

Quark RGB Neut

Quark RGB Cool

And some batteries :)

I am going to steal the tail cap off one of the RGB's and put it onto the Turbo, thus saving me having to buy the additional tailcap (i just brought 2 extra torches instead lol... hmm)

And now I am BANNED for buying torches/multitool/knives again untill my next savings target is met :( (with the exception of another Zebralight H501 when they are back in stock, because I have a "need" for another one of those..)

And they have just arrived :)

Its not dark here yet though, i'll make a separate thread with my findings and opinions once I have had the chance to "play" some more :)

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been communicating with Bryan from shiningbeam and he tells me that a new MG RX-2 with neutral white SST-50 may be coming out soon, 3 modes, reverse clicky, with memory. I am so waiting for this one!