Silver plated heatsink

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Today I went to college, and after my class's I went machine shop to shadow the class before taking it next semester. I brought with me H22A's heatsink with the intention of duplicating it. I was talking to the instructor about flashlights and how to mod Maglite's for over an hour. Apperently he used to do "thermal management" for some company a while ago. And he got really into detail about the best ways to heatsink the P7 LED into a maglite. He said silver is one of the best heat transferring elements. And he suggested on using a silver plated heatsink.

Has that ever been done before? Because I think it'd be great to mount a sst90 onto it, and over drive it to 12 amps, assuming the heat properly draws from the sst90.

aurum

Enlightened
Has that ever been done before?

Sure
lachende-smilies-0146.gif
.... You can buy "Silberronden - silver" here: http://www.zujeddeloh.de/artikel172.html (bottom of the page)

cheers

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
the question is so what if? what thermal characteristics silver has the MAY be in vain since the heat transfered must go to the aluminum baody through the ano too...

unless the later thermal transfer is greater than silver is there a point to?