Leef 3x18650 Throw Master

weklund

Enlightened
I have a Leef 3x18650 body that I would like to turn into the ultimate "Throw Master". This is a "C" to"C" body. I am looking for the best head / drop-in combiation to produce a lot of light for optimal distance. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Many Thanks ..... :devil:​

LF11.jpg

TriChrome

Enlightened
Throw generally means a larger head, and for a Surefire C compatible body that usually means a Surefire KT1 or KT2 turbohead, matched with the correct bulb for the batteries you're going to use.

There's of course other LED options like the above, but I've been learning to love incandescents for their throw (or more correctly their color which seems to highlight things outside much better than LED).

weklund

Enlightened
This unit will be running at over 11 volts. What incan bulb / switch would be ideal when paired with the KT1 or KT2? I like the idea of the SolarForce head w/ led emitter as suggested by daimleramg. I like neutral white as well. It has been my experience that led has it over incan for throw. I will be using this rig as a boat / fishing spotting light in Baja. This being a lego type setup would allow me to mix and match. I guess I am looking for best senario for both incan and LED.

Throw generally means a larger head, and for a Surefire C compatible body that usually means a Surefire KT1 or KT2 turbohead, matched with the correct bulb for the batteries you're going to use.

There's of course other LED options like the above, but I've been learning to love incandescents for their throw (or more correctly their color which seems to highlight things outside much better than LED).

TriChrome

Enlightened
There's a heated topic on LED vs. Incan for throw right now. All I know is the natural colors of nature (mainly green) are completely faded out with LED's, especially when the distance increases.

Incan's let you know what's actually out there, by being able to identify it so much easier because of it's color spectrum.

Anyway, BigChelis recommended the TLS LED turbohead to me when I was looking for a thrower, if you would like to check that out as well.

weklund

Enlightened
Installed a SolarForce Masterpiece Pro-1 on the Leef 3x18650, thanks to my buddy Shrigg. WOW !! this unit can toss some light. I am very impressed with this lumen launcher it will make a fine addition to my Baja light arsenal. Great boat light. Thanks all for the information and suggestions .... :devil:​

LF111.jpg

LF222.jpg

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is the LED forum, but if you want throw, I've generally found incans to throw farther. Incans typically concentrate more of the light into the hotspot unless your using an LED with an aspheric lens.

I have the same body as you, a leef 3x18650. I have mine setup with 3x18650 AW IMR cells, a KT1 head, FM24 diffuser, a lumens factory HO-M6R bulb, and AW 3 level softstart switch in a Z44 tailcap. This is my favorite incan setup. If I want, I can switch out the HO-M6R with a LED drop-in, but they are very meager in comparison.

artec540

Enlightened
I have the Solarforce MPP1 on a 2 x 18650 L2 host, also from Solarforce. I have no numbers but comparing it with my Catapult V2 the MPP1's hot spot is a lot smaller and more sharply defined. I think the Catapult (also 2 x 18650s) squirts out more light and it may ultimately be a better thrower because of more light even though it's in a bigger hotspot, but I don't have any means of quantitative measurement.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm also after the "ultimate" thrower, though "ultimate" can't include things like Polarions. They're a bit too ultimate for the exchequer. I've just bought, but not received, a Jetbeam M 1 X, a Fenix TK 40 and a Legend II. I have a nasty feeling that all of these will wind up bending the knee to an Olight SR90, which appears to be a real bruiser.

Any other contenders?

I have a Leef 3x18650 body that I would like to turn into the ultimate "Throw Master". This is a "C" to"C" body. I am looking for the best head / drop-in combiation to produce a lot of light for optimal distance. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Many Thanks ..... :devil:​

LF11.jpg

weklund

Enlightened
I would love to see some beam shots. I really like the tint of incandecent as well. One of my favorite lights is the Surefire 9P with a stock P91. It would be great to have an incan thrower that would toss as far as the SMP-1.

I know this is the LED forum, but if you want throw, I've generally found incans to throw farther. Incans typically concentrate more of the light into the hotspot unless your using an LED with an aspheric lens.

I have the same body as you, a leef 3x18650. I have mine setup with 3x18650 AW IMR cells, a KT1 head, FM24 diffuser, a lumens factory HO-M6R bulb, and AW 3 level softstart switch in a Z44 tailcap. This is my favorite incan setup. If I want, I can switch out the HO-M6R with a LED drop-in, but they are very meager in comparison.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Solarforce MPP1 on a 2 x 18650 L2 host, also from Solarforce. I have no numbers but comparing it with my Catapult V2 the MPP1's hot spot is a lot smaller and more sharply defined. I think the Catapult (also 2 x 18650s) squirts out more light and it may ultimately be a better thrower because of more light even though it's in a bigger hotspot, but I don't have any means of quantitative measurement.
The Catapult is about 40,000 lux. The MPP1 is just over 48,000 lux. If you replace the MPP1 lens with a UCL it is between 53,000-54,000 lux.