Want a new light. Don't need to pocket it. Like it to be USA made.

ServerMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks,

I currently use a Surefire 6P that I dropped a 6P LED into. I've had the light for about 3 years now. Great light. I however would like to get something new.

Reason being, I had a 100 LED cheapo flashlight that someone gave me as a free gift. I thought "great, nice piece of crap". However the darn thing was bright as heck and when I took it outside to compare it to my 6PLED it was amazing.

I have no idea who the cheapo light was made by but it took 4 AA batteries. I don't want another one because it broke when it was dropped on a carpet floor in my office.

I would like another light that is nice and bright like that one though. I would bet money on the fact that at 20 yards it was brighter than my Surefire 6P LED.

The light will just be kept on the first floor in my kitchen area so I can take it outside when something needs looked at in the dark.

My wife used to use the other one a lot so I figured I might as well get something decent.

I already have 2 - 4 D Cell Maglites. One is an LED model and one is Incandescent. My surefire outshines them so I don't want another Mag.

Is there anything that is Made in the USA that is not $150+ that I could purchase that would be a darn good light?

I don't mind if it is larger than my 6P because I will not be pocketing the light.

Here is what the light I had looks like. (This is not a plug for people to buy this, as I am not in cahoots with Amazon.)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001391NJO/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Thanks in advance folks. :)

Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

_x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
____I could spend $40-60.
_x__I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

_x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

_x__I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

_x__I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
_x__I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
_x__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
_x__I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
_x__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
_x__240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
_x__360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
_x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
_x__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
_x__I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
_x__I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

_x__I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

_x__A simple on-off is fine for me.
_x__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
_x__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
_x__Waterproof – how deep: _10 feet________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have any experience with any lights that are made in the U.S.(that are inexpensive); I guess it's just cheaper for companies to at the very least have the parts made overseas and then assemble here in the states. Anyway, some lights that I have experience with are Quark lights made by 4sevens. IMO, you won't find a better light for the money. I'm not really familiar with how bright your light is, or what kind of beam profile it has, but if you want a light that has more of a hot spot than flood, take a look at the Quarks with an R2 emitter(click here). If you want more flood/spill than a hot spot, look at the Quarks with an R5 emitter(click here). Or, for something a little cheaper, that might be better suited to just sitting around most of the time. Look at the Quark Mini lights, but they all have the R5 emitters(click here). These are great lights, even if they aren't made in the U.S.

BTW, your maglites won't come close to comparing to any of these lights:naughty:.

Last edited:

Vermonter73

Enlightened
Check out Malkoff www.malkoffdevices.com

I really like his modules with the flood beam and warm tint. The host/module will run about $100 and then you can get a couple batteries and a charger for another $50. Yeah it's a chunk of change, but it's worth it.

ServerMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Holy crap.

Those Malkoff drop-ins for the Mags are freaking sweet.

I think I'm going to be dropping some good coin and getting a 2-3D drop in for my 3D Mag. I want to get a new Bezel and a reflector also.

That will at least take my incandescent Mag and make it a mean torch.

Curt R

Enlightened
The Peak NP300 uses a Cree XPG-R5 for about 300 Lumens and has very good throw. The NP300S has a
single max power output and the NP300A is pot adjustable from max to dim glow. The NP400 series uses
the Seoul P7 LED at about 400 Lumens in the 'S' or 'A' versions and has more of a medium output pattern.
The standard battery compartment holds a single 18650 or two 16340 or two 18350 batteries. There are three
other optional battery compartments that can hold up to two 18650s, and one that can hold the same batteries
as the standard unit plus two or more AA size batteries.

These lights are machined and assembled in Phoenix, Az. and are professional duty lights.

Curt

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew my Quark recommendations would get you guys in here:poke: :D. J/K, nice recommendations guys:thumbsup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
If it were me, I would put the $150 into modding one of your maglites or upgrading your 6P. A Malkoff in your 6P will breathe new life into it.

A 4D mag with an MCE, 2.5A driver and 4xD NiMH would make a great setup.

Noctis

Enlightened
I would suggest getting the 6P bored to take 18650 cells and buying a Nailbender SST-50 3 level drop-in.

Malkoff is a good choice as well, but being only single-level I would personally go for a brighter drop-in. It's practical to be sure as runtimes are expected to be counted in hours and I doubt it'll get more than slightly warm if run for half an hour nonstop. Still, if you're interested in brightness, there are other lights available that blows Malkoff drop-ins out of the water, with the cost of low runtime(but that's what the multi-levels are for).

There's also the issue of availability with Malkoffs, though a new batch of the M61s might be available soon.

NightKids

Enlightened
There is no better option for you than a Malkoff M61. The Surefire 6P is a great base & the light will be transformed into a killer light!

KingCanada

Newly Enlightened
Anyway, some lights that I have experience with are Quark lights made by 4sevens. IMO, you won't find a better light for the money. I'm not really familiar with how bright your light is, or what kind of beam profile it has, but if you want a light that has more of a hot spot than flood, take a look at the Quarks with an R2 emitter(click here). If you want more flood/spill than a hot spot, look at the Quarks with an R5 emitter(click here). Or, for something a little cheaper, that might be better suited to just sitting around most of the time. Look at the Quark Mini lights, but they all have the R5 emitters(click here). These are great lights, even if they aren't made in the U.S.

Imagine that, Quark recommendations. Pretty sure he said made in USA. I'm starting to think David Chow himself is paying members to blurt out QUARK anytime there is a Recommend me a light thread. Sounds like good tactics if you ask me...

I've been looking at the Inova T3 lately, it looks like it could be a nice, sturdy, dependable light that is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. Maybe you could check that one out. Inova also has the brighter, but larger, T5.

I think the older version of the T3 (2008) still available some places, is made in the USA.

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Keep the 6P and pot a decent drop in inside. Another vote for Malkoff or go custom with nailbender, save some cash and get some modes if you want them. I wouldn't worry about 18650's if you not a heavy user.

nanomu

Newly Enlightened
Just going to echo some of the other suggestions here..

The default P60L drop-in is decent, but indeed fairly dim compared to newer LEDs.

Upgrade your 6P with a Malkoff drop-in. These are arguably the best drop-ins around right now.

Take a look at the Z2, G2 or C2, any of which will give you endless lego fun. If you get a new host/body, look into getting a pre-bored one.

I hear the Ra is good, but haven't seen one myself.

The Quarks are well made and a good value.

Maglights are fun and can be easily upgraded to tolerable or even really good output for very little expense.

(On a side note, I've been trying to decide all day between a new Z2 or C2.)

sjmack

Newly Enlightened
The 6P is a great host. Look towards a Malkoff M61, then see if that 4AA will out-shine it...

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and :welcome:

Hey folks,

I currently use a Surefire 6P that I dropped a 6P LED into. I've had the light for about 3 years now. Great light. I however would like to get something new.

+1 great light!

Reason being, I had a 100 LED cheapo flashlight that someone gave me as a free gift. I thought "great, nice piece of crap". However the darn thing was bright as heck and when I took it outside to compare it to my 6PLED it was amazing.

I have no idea who the cheapo light was made by but it took 4 AA batteries. I don't want another one because it broke when it was dropped on a carpet floor in my office.

even if it had not broken when you dropped it, you would have found that as time went by the LEDs would have died one at a time. I would strongly recommend that you stay away from these lights.

I already have 2 - 4 D Cell Maglites. One is an LED model and one is Incandescent. My surefire outshines them so I don't want another Mag.

The maglites are a good host, you could purchase an after market dropin from malkoff for the maglites and upgrade them.

Is there anything that is Made in the USA that is not $150+ that I could purchase that would be a darn good light?

does this mean you're prepared to spend up to $150? That gives you many choices if that's the case.

But right now, i think you might be limiting your choices if you stick to the "Made in USA" requirement. The lights made by Fenix for example are very tough lights, a good example being Fenix TK40 torture test where the light was frozen, boiled, run over etc.

There's also a Flashlight recommendation checklist that you could fill out and paste in your post#1 that would help CPF-ers understand exactly what you want and how much you're prepared to spend and then sit back and watch the recommendations roll in.

shark_za

Enlightened
Even though its close to your 6P I would personally get an Elzetta.
It comes with the Malkoff inside, clicky and 2-stage ring.
But at $175 its pushing your limits.

Limits are meant to be broken.

I say this only because I have quite a few Solarforce and other 18650 hosts to satisfy that area. The advice above to get a bored Surefire is great and will open up a whole toybox of cells and dropins.

I would also consider the Surefire LX2 at the same price point as the Elzetta.