High CRI - SunDrop vs Ra/HDS?

gjg

Enlightened
Hello all:
I'm totally new to High CRI and looking at picking up my first one. I quite partial to McGizmos, so I was looking at the Sundrop XR-U, and for comparison a Ra/HDS 100 lumen High CRI Warm white Clicky or Twisty. I KNOW there are obvious construction differences - the McG is a Ti Jewel, and the HDS is a very nicely made production light, but how are the beams and uses similar/different? Overall output, color rendition, beam angle (wide/narrow), throw, and whatever other functional differences you can think of. I would doubt anybody has both lights, but if you do PLEASE respond! I'm not looking at lighting up treelines 150' away, plenty of other lights for that, but more for close work where having the correct color is important, and just general in the house use at night.

If the HDS basically functions as a poor-mans SunDrop, I'll give it serious consideration, and accept the fact the Haiku and LunaSol 27 won't have a baby brother:shakehead.
Thanks,
Greg :D

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have both a SunDrop XR-U and high CRI Ra Clicky and in a word, they should not even be compared. If one fits your exact needs, the other will not.

Not to say that they don't belong in each other's company, but rather the needs they will fulfill are completely different.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sundrop XR-U is a concentrated flood light. The Ra has a traditional beam with a hotspot, corona, and spill. The Sundrop has higher CRI than the Ra. I believe the Nichia 083b has a CRI of 96 and the Seoul P4 a CRI of 93. Also, the Nichia has a higher Kelvin temperature. This means it will be closer to pure white. The Seoul P4 is a warmer temperature at I believe 4000K.

See run4jc's thread for beam differences: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/262391

I have both lights and they both have positive attributes. The choice is completely up to you. When I'm at home, I always have my Sundrop XP with me (even in the daytime). :D Keep in mind that you can always use a Ra Twisty/Clicky with a Surefire F04 diffuser for a more flood-like beam.

derangboy

Enlightened
This is basically where I'm sitting right now. I'd like a high CRI light in a flood pattern. The programability and price of the HDS are very attractive, while the AA pak and E series compatibility are big positives for the Sundrop.

Here's a great comparison of the Sundrop and E1B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_KYXjup-Lk

Moka

Enlightened
I have the Sundrop XR-U and wouldn't have another until the LED is upgrade... The CRI of these lights are amazing... The higher flux does make the Clicky more appealing, but I find the floodier beam more useful for my needs...

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I've played with a Ra & Kaichu Dento's Sundrop and they are totally different lights.

For what the op wants in his description, I'd say the nature of the perfect flood light (looks very much like a weak spotlight beam edge to edge) & color rendition would make the Sundrop the better choice.

Provided the initial investment in the McGizmo is not too painful on the wallet it would be my choice.

Personally I would opt for the Ra clicky, but my needs & preferences are different.

Everyone that saw the beam on the Sundrop immediately said "wow, I've never seen anything like that!". You can not find an artifact and I would not have thought such a uniform beam was even possible.

Not a pocket rocket by any means, but plenty bright & supremely useful for around the house or close lighting (task type) needs.

Hope this helps, those are two of the best high end lights around.

Axion

Enlightened
I don't know just how floody of a beam some people want, but the beam on my Ra Clicky is plenty wide and smooth for up close tasks. In my opinion any floodier and it would be hampered for outdoor usage. I love the beam on my 140GT except the color temp, which is why I can't wait for my hi CRI twisty to arrive.

jefierro

Newly Enlightened
I have a Ra Clicky 93CRI and it's a beautiful light, I was considering the SunDrop but, wow, $ expensive light, maybe I'll give it a shot later.
But you'll still have to carry more than one light on a trail walk, one to see beatifull things at close an the other to see far in the road. with the Ra you can do both with a single light. For home use and for a head lamp at the camp site the SunDrop will be an awesome light. I'll get the Ra have a taste of beautiful high CRI, then go for the SunDrop for a sweet treat.

Good luck.

gjg

Enlightened
Geez, thanks, guys, now I gotta buy 2 lights because I NEED them both:ohgeez:... Seriously, thanks for the info, it answered my questions. SunDrop XR-U or regular SunDrop 3sp. as soon as I can raise the cash, The 93CRI HDS down the road. The SunDrop does fit my needs and wants better at present. Appreciate the help, folks.
gg:D

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that you can always use a Ra Twisty/Clicky with a Surefire F04 diffuser for a more flood-like beam.

A good point, often overlooked, but does not apply in this situation.

The high-CRI RA is only offered in a wide beam version, making the use of the diffuser kind of pointless.

Once/if it is offered in a narrow beam version, then the availability of the diffuser becomes more useful.

ProofTech

Newly Enlightened
The high-CRI RA is only offered in a wide beam version, making the use of the diffuser kind of pointless.
The "wide beam" of an RA light is not exactly wide IMO. It's comparable to the beam width of most Fenix lights. Even though it's called "wide", it throws quite well.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good point, often overlooked, but does not apply in this situation.

I don't agree with that. Because of the color shift in the corona of the high CRI beam, the hot sport is much more pronounced than that of the standard, wide Clicky/Twisty beams. For close-up work - especially reading from white paper - a diffuser is still quite handy for the high CRI Clicky.

But even with an F04, the high CRI Ra has much more of a standard, collimated flashlight beam than the strictly flood SunDrop. I've been EDC'ing a high CRI Clicky for a few months now, and I really like it. But, for our around-the-house needs my wife and I almost always grab the SunDrop. I find the SunDrop to be almost useless for anything outside of a couple feet, but for close-up use, the complete lack of a hot spot, more natural (non-yellow) tint, and excellent CRI are invaluable.