Q: PM6 clickie from Flashlightlens?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I want to put the upgrade kit with the clickie and the UCL-lens on my PM6 with McModule ...
... would this be possible for a man with two left hands with only thumbs on them and no tools at all?
thanx, bernhard

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
hey! appreciate your thumbs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
otherwise they will end up in a disc sander /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

i haven't personally done it, but it looks easy enough. i'm sure you could do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kiessling said:
I want to put the upgrade kit with the clickie and the UCL-lens on my PM6 with McModule ...
... would this be possible for a man with two left hands with only thumbs on them and no tools at all?
thanx, bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

Finally a kindred soul. In the modding department I resemble the person about whom you speak /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I did a Flashlightlens conversion on a Silver PM6 host for my W3V McModule a couple of weeks ago. It is just a matter of taking your time and spinning the components out of the switch assembly and replacing with the Kroll from Flashlightlens. Someone mentioned "how to" instructions in the Reviews section that would probably make your life simpler as well. Mine arrived sans instructions but it is a fairly intuitive process.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Bernhard...

I have two Pelican M6`s that I`ve outfitted with the Flashlightlens clickie conversion kits. If you have some basic tools, like a screwdriver and an adjustable wrench, you`ll be able to do the job.

The part of the project that is a real PITA is seating the new clickie unit into the PM6 tail. You have to use brute force to do it, as far as I know from my own experience.

What I did, though, was to find one of those plastic conical-shaped wire nuts (that you use to attach two wire together), and placed the open end of the wire nut against the open back of the new clickie unit that had to go into the tail. (You need to use the "right size" wire nut so that it fits into the interior of the clickie unit, but without resting on the kroll switch parts.)

Once I did this, I then took a large adjustable "channel lock" type of wrench and put the wire nut/clickie unit/tail combination between the the jaws of the wrench, and forced the clickie unit to the bottom of the tail unit.

It was a little unnerving if, like me, you like to have tolerances where parts simply and easily slide together. This "truck mechanic" approach, though, did the job.

It`s well worth the effort, by the way. I`m not a big fan of the PM6, because I`m spoiled with the high quality machining of the Surefires and the Arcs. The PM6 is, IMHO, several notches below those flashlights in that regard. The PM6 makes up for this deficiency, though, with its low price. It`s a matter of "You get what you pay for."

Notwithstanding my reservations about the quality of the PM6, I bought two of them to host the McModules that Charlie and Don have made and/or are creating for it. I see that`s why you bought a PM6 as well. ("Two birds of a feather"...? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Back on track, the clickie conversion works well, and is a great improvement over the original PM6 tail switch. Go ahead and try it. (Or, of course, you can also apparently just buy a Surefire Z48/Z49 tail and put it on if you don`t want to mess around with any of this.)

In fairness to the fine folks at Pelican, I will be the first to admit that the PM6 is a great light for the price. I just wish it was of a higher quality, however, so that one would take it out and admire it just for its fine craftsmanship. When I look at my PM6`s, though, I instead just see how great it "could" be. Oh well...so much for my rather unfair and totally gratuitious grousing about the PM6. It`s a good flashlight!

Best wishes to you, Bernhard!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

r2

Enlightened
Just a warning: try taking apart your tailcap before you order the conversion kit. Mine doesn't come apart like it's supposed to. On part that is supposed to fall out is glued in on mine so at present I have a worthless clickie conversion kit and a scarred tailcap where I've tried to dig the part out.

- Russ

Kiessling

Flashaholic
thanx all!
it is great news that the Z48 will fit the PM6! I think I'll get just this one ... I am a weakling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
r2 - Seems like Pelican has a few different "versions" of their M6 lights going out. I already had to regrind all of my lenses and spin about .01" off of the sleeve because the black versions seems to be a little tighter.

For those who order a clickie kit for your black M6's - for more reliable operation, scrape the anodizing off of the end of barrel. This is the main contact point and need to be as clean as possible.

r2

Enlightened
As one more datapoint, my black M6 doesn't have anodizing on the end of the barrel. It makes a nice clean contact with the clickie switch. The clickie was a tight fit, but it went in without problems (once I finally got the other guts out--part of it was glued in and had to be chipped apart).

Works great now!

- Russ

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tailcap in my black Pelican M6 was easy to dis- assemble,
everything spun out or fell out. However, getting the rreplacement unit in was a bit harder. I had to file down the threads of the tailcap a bit before I could muscle in the replacement. The replacment unit works exceptionally well, no complaints.

Off topic a bit: Flashlightlens.com how come a gasket doesn't come with the lens replacment? It would make a good cushion between the glass lens and retaining piece. My lens is starting to chip from adjusting the beam.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Wolfen - When you focus the beam? The entire head moves independent of the body when focusing on mine. Maybe I don't quite follow what you're saying...

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, maybe it is from something else but the lens is chipping. Would a o-ring be able to fit between the lens and the reflector / main head ? Like on a McLux?