Ra Clicky - Standard or High CRI? (was: Shipping to Canada)

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
[EDIT]
I e-mailed BatteryStation and they ship using USPS Priority Mail for ~$16. The only problem is that they don't have the high CRI custom I'm interested in. Is there that much difference between the standard version and the high CRI version? Is the high CRI worth the extra money (by extra I mean the extra shipping charges)?
[/EDIT]

Any Canadian who ordered a Ra Clicky? I saw that the shipping charges are $40 from ralights.com, which is pretty high... Have you been hit by customs/brokerage fees?

Last edited:

derangboy

Enlightened
Re: Ra Clicky shipping to Canada

I got charged $12 for GST and $8 for the privilege of being charged tax. Oddly, flashlights are the only things customs does this to me....

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened

I have a US address I can have things shipped to; bringing things back on my personal exemption has always been the way to go. Recently however, the use of a Canadian billing address to ship to a US one has excited the contempt of various US sellers who send back snotty requests for such things as photocopies of credit cards before they will deign to ship, not to your requested address but to your home one. So if that catches on all over, I may be back to square one and will have to stick to Chinese products. It's the shipping costs to Canada that financially kill the deal far more than the duty or GST, in my experience. $40 shipping indeed, what kind of fool am I supposed to be?

derangboy

Enlightened

It never hurts to ask politely if there are other shipping options. I would hope that HDS profits from my business sufficiently to maintain their operation for a very long time and at such an involved level.

daimleramg

Banned

I live in TO and the only time I get charged tax for lights is when my order goes out express mail. If package is sent out first class or priority I never get taxed.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

I contacted Henry and he told me he only ships using USPS EMS, to get insurance and tracking... A $8 brokerage fee isn't that bad, compared to what UPS/FedEx charges. I "badly" want a high CRI one. Wanted an Arc6 but with the current problems with the company I'll pass my turn.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast

If the light was under $100 then Priority or First Class is a viable option but in your case with EMS it's better to be safe than sorry. It's just one of those things we Canadian flashaholics have to factor into the final cost when we plan our purchases.

Good call on waiting until better days for the Arc6. Let them catch up with demand and customer service first and then snag one when the time is right.

derangboy

Enlightened

Actual shipping charge on my package was $31.50. Add their time and packaging, $40 isn't so unreasonable. My light got to me fast and safe and sound!

Axion

Enlightened
I'll preface by saying that I am a big believer in the benefits of warm tinted lights, as I think cool white lights make everthing look flat, and I've sworn off cool white emitters. In fact my Ra Clicky CGT was the last cool white light I bought and I went for it based on the hope that the guaranteed tint would wsome how be better then normal cool white lights from other brands.

So, a CGT Ra has good tint for a cool white emitter but (IMO) is still sickly blue compared to anything with a warm tint. I recently ordered a high CRI twisty, which came in last night, and I'd take that over the CGT any day. So if you prefer warm tints, you're definitely better off going with the hi CRI even if it costs a bit more.

keriya

Newly Enlightened
I'll second Axion's advice to get the high CRI. I have a Ra Clicky 140 GT and a Twisty 100 high CRI. My Clicky has a nice neutral white color (so no blue blues here :)), but the high CRI Twisty makes colors just pop out in real use. When white walling, it has a warm yellow tint, similar to an incandescant light, but your eyes/brain easily adapt do different tints. I like it very much. The difference between 140 and 100 lumen is no issue for me and easily offset by the wonderful color rendition of the high CRI.

Getting the high CRI version is well worth the additional money, IMHO.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered this from Henry:

- 100lm high CRI warm white.
- Black clip.
- Flat button.
- Executive operation.

Added 12 Batterystation CR123A to cover a bit the shipping cost.

Total: $205 CAD (+ possible future taxes when the package reaches customs).

I hope this light is worth this price!

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
I opted for the $100 Executive EDC, so no warm tint. But that was more a current finances decision. My wife likes my Clicky, so I'll pick up a High CRI one later this Spring and she can have my standard. Never thought she'd like one of my EDC gadgets!