Browning

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Can someone please give me the run-down on this light, which I narrowly passed by at a BassPro shop an hour ago because I wanted to wait for some reviews.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0202784_325007000_325000000_325007000_325-7-0

Haven't heard much about this one, but the sales guy seemed to think if it was good and throwy enough of a light for deer hunting in deep forests then it will surpass my expectations.

Would this be a good duty light for security work?

BTW, the light seems to have changed from the one a year ago, advertised at 400 lumens. This new one supposedly is brighter somehow...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224511&page=2

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that many around here will know much about that one. It seems to me that you could probably find a better light for $100. But I don't know personally, maybe that's a nice light, but if I had to guess, I'd guess it probably doesn't put out as much light as advertised, it probably heats up quickly and therefore drops in output quickly. Also, it doesn't use any of the latest technology emitters i.e., XP-G, XP-E or even XR-E. I think you could buy a better light for that kind of money. What exactly are you looking for in a light for security work? I would think you need a beam that has some flood combined with throw. Do you prefer a more compact, smaller light? We know that you're willing to spend $100 so that's good, but we could probably help you better if you provide more information about what you want.

Last edited:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
I might check this one out. I'm smitten. But actually, I want something pocket-able but insanely bright with tremendous throw, LED, with regulated runtime. Sucks being a flashaholic and wanting to buy everything that says: xxx lumens. lol

mrcandyman

Newly Enlightened
I think I got some very good recommendations for a security light in my post here.
I'm getting an ultrafire body from a nice gentleman that I will be putting an XP-G into and powering off a 18650 cell and I also ordered a Solarforce L2M. I've been able to try out a few of the other lights mentioned and they seemed like they would be great for what I want as well (but they were pricey to pick up in store and I just had a good feeling about the solarforce).

I've been working security for over 3 years now and I can tell you that you do not want a big heavy light (though most security guards pick up a 4D maglite so they can "defend themselves", if you have any self-defence ability of your own, they're just a hindrance. I specified a size I wanted because I have found that to be a nice size to hold and it's big enough so you can whack somebody with the edge if you need. Keeping the weight down is also a VERY nice relief.

What kind of environment are you working in? Indoors you will usually want more flood, and outdoors, I've definitely found I need a good throw and not much flood. If you can handle the orange light, then a warm white LED might be a better choice as the light will then cut through moisture better and give a bit better color definition. I tried out the Fenix TK20 and it would have been a great outdoor security light, but I can't personally handle the orange light.

I think it's important for you do think about exactly what environment you're working in and if you can, try to do a comparison with your current flashlight and think about what you like and dislike about your current one. If you can't then, perhaps listing what kind of site you're working on, and what your parameters you want out of the light are. What cost you have in mind, what type of batteries you want to use, they all play a role in your decision.

Latest posts